Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craig_bushman40

Is this mirror too big?

Craig Bushman
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Curious what others think about the scale of this mirror. Too big or does it fill the space well? Which orientation do you prefer?

Comments (64)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

Also like it as a diamond

Craig Bushman thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • Candice Johnson
    4 years ago

Can someone please help me figure out how to make a post, I’m dying to ask for some advice and can’t figure it out. My apologies for using you comment section for this question. TY

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

@Candice - first take pix of the subject of your dilemma. That always gets better responses. Go to your home page and click on "GET IDEAS" upper left. A drop down shows "Discussions" on the lower right. Click on "Design Delimmas" to post yours.

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

@Candice Johnson

1st

Next:

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

I think there’s too much frame vis-à-vis the mirror size.

Craig Bushman thanked jbtanyderi
  • happyleg
    4 years ago

Good, lovely room.

Craig Bushman thanked happyleg
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I like the mirror, but it seems too large for the room, not just the fireplace. I can see it in a commercial application, but not here. What will it reflect? It is pretty busy itself; will it double something else that is busy?

Craig Bushman thanked decoenthusiaste
  • happyleg
    4 years ago

It's fine & with in the fp frame.

• Sammy
    4 years ago

I don’t like it over the mantel. The proportions are off—the mirror part is way too small and way too far from the top of the mantel. If you have another wall where it could be hung by itself or perhaps over a bench or other low-slung piece of furniture so that the mirror is at eye level, then do that. It could even go in the dining room above a sideboard or in a hallway above a console table (or bench).

You know, since it was advertised as being much smaller, you could return it.

Craig Bushman thanked Sammy
  • Candice Johnson
    4 years ago

I personally think the diamond shape looks best! Looks lovely!

Craig Bushman thanked Candice Johnson
  • Craig Bushman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sammy, This piece is 6 feet tall in the diamond configuration...can't imagine it would actually work in the dining room, although I briefly considered it....Yeah, I have a call to the Chairish website, but the reviews say they are completely unresponsive, so I think it's unreturnable. A part of me wants this piece as it is designer and retails for $4500, but another part thinks 'Why can't I have just gotten the mirror that was advertised?!'

• Paloma Perez
    4 years ago

Too big

Craig Bushman thanked Paloma Perez
  • Lidia
    4 years ago

Perfect but needs to be placed on the diamond.

Craig Bushman thanked Lidia
  • rnonwheels
    4 years ago

Too large and too "light" looking.

Craig Bushman thanked rnonwheels
  • Amy k
    4 years ago

Diamond!

Craig Bushman thanked Amy k
  • sunshine_31
    4 years ago

I love it hung as the diamond!

Craig Bushman thanked sunshine_31
  • lbk01
    4 years ago

Love it as a diamond.

Craig Bushman thanked lbk01
  • lucky998877
    4 years ago

Diamond, it will break up all the rectangles in the room...windows, tile, furniture etc. BUT what bothers me is that the fireplace tile and your wall color are way too close. If painting an accent wall is too difficult, I would retile the fireplace with a much darker color to ground it and have it hold its own against the large mirror.

Craig Bushman thanked lucky998877
  • Amy Stafford
    4 years ago

Love the mirror and the size is near perfect! I learned from a friend who is a very popular designer in my city that scale is everything meaning the piece you hang you correspond to size of the wall. Your wall is focal point wall so anything you put above the fireplace should be about the size you selected. BTW, the mirror will reflect the light from your windows and bounce the natural light around the room. I think you'll love it. The room is very pretty and your colors, fireplace tile etc. are all nice choices!

Craig Bushman thanked Amy Stafford
  • Kate E
    4 years ago

I love it - and agree diagonal orientation is best. Most people go too small with decor - this is perfect! Go big!!

Craig Bushman thanked Kate E
  • Momof5x
    4 years ago

Put as in second pic- it looks nice that way.

Craig Bushman thanked Momof5x
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

It looks wonderful, in the diamond orientation is best, imo. Your wall color is really nice - so refreshing to see a room that is not GRAY!! And it looks perfect with your fireplace and tile.

Craig Bushman thanked Olychick
  • backbayfishing
    4 years ago

I like the mirror in the diamond shape, but what my eye catches is the large cabinet on one side , small one on the other side... I see that before I see mirror, be nice to have another large one, maybe even a lighter color. IMO.

Craig Bushman thanked backbayfishing
  • srea123
    4 years ago

Size is good. I like it diamond but hang it a few inches higher than where they are holding it.

Craig Bushman thanked srea123
  • wacokid
    4 years ago

I’m wondering the same thing Craig. Might want to hold off on the “commissioning“ to think it through..

Craig Bushman thanked wacokid
  • mnmamax3
    4 years ago

I like the diamond hung mirror but I might suggest angling the large armoire more into the room if you intend to keep it. It seems a little off cast in the corner under that overhang. You mentioned a painting for the left wall, but not sure if that is referring to the space under the overhang or not. Can't wait to see how it all comes out.

Craig Bushman thanked mnmamax3
  • User
    4 years ago

I think it's a good size for that giant wall (as the diamond orientation), but the bottom needs to be higher -- about 12" above the mantel.

so many people choose wall art that's too small for their space. go big or go home!

Craig Bushman thanked User
  • Linda
    4 years ago

I like it if there was more mirror

Craig Bushman thanked Linda
  • Lyn Agre
    4 years ago

I am sorry but this mirror just does not work period.it's not .balanced and does nothing for the fireplace except fight it. It's awkward. Try a rectangle mirror in a simple frame if you have to have a mirror and have it duplicate the fireplace in shape aka horizontal.

Craig Bushman thanked Lyn Agre
  • tatts
    4 years ago

Too large, and too foofy.

It's both large and insubstantial at the same time, which is quite an accomplishment.

That location can't take a mirror of any size or shape, because there is just nothing worth reflecting (just a boring ceiling).

And--$4500??? (I just noticed that figure). I swear, I though it was from Marshall's or Home Goods. It has that look about it.

Craig Bushman thanked tatts
  • Lyn Agre
    4 years ago

t would be nice if the person who asked for advice on the fireplace mirror would give some feedback to us that are taking the time to communicate our ideas. None of us have to input anything. We might be talking to a wall. I don't talk just to hear myself .......

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Your done with the mirror? Is there something else? Try mirror in hallway. Or bath, sunroom?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

Retails for and paid for are two different things! I doubt OP paid $4500. Regardless do we need to be so mean Tatts.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

Yes piling on is definitely most mature and well thought out strategy. Internet wins again

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Some people can't seem to resist being rude and unkind. Their time will come.

Craig Bushman thanked Olychick
  • Lyn Agre
    4 years ago

Thank you srea123 and Happylegs ...

• st5330
    4 years ago

i like it, it goes well! diamond orientation for sure

Craig Bushman thanked st5330
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

Normally, I would say it is too large but the open fretwork on it gives it a lighter appearance. I also think that adding artwork on the right will help balance it and the armoire out. I like the diamond orientation best.

Craig Bushman thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

$4500 are you crazy and to answer the MIRROR is too small and the frame thing makes no sense plus that mirror or any other mirror does not belong there since seeing the ceiling twice is not ideal. Out the art above the FP for sure and IMO the tall cabinet belongs somewhere else.

Craig Bushman thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Craig Bushman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Didn't realize anyone would care about an update; sorry! The fact is, there isn't much to update. I'm still trying to get the resale website I bought it from (Chairish.com) to take it back since it isn't the mirror that was advertised (twice as big as what I thought I was getting).

At the very least, I am not putting it above the fireplace if I wind up being stuck with it....I didn't like it there at all. I kind of agree with some of the snarkier posters (good thing my little feelings don't get hurt easily, huh?). I think my favorite quote came from tatts: "It's both large and insubstantial at the same time, which is quite an accomplishment." Runner up goes to mamamocha for the following zinger: "Mirror should go IN the fireplace..."

Sigh. I will link to the designer's website to show what I thought I was getting: https://www.christopherguy.com/details_search_visual.php?idt_product=268&finish_id=101&keywords=50-2586. It looked so delicate and tasteful there, but that's not the vibe I got from it in person, unfortunately. Sigh.

So, I'm thinking the 36x48 inch painting I'm commissioning is going to go above the fireplace instead. Will be a landscape, fall in the Sundance area of Utah.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Thanks for the update & maybe just sell it. Put something else there. Come here for help.

• debradann
    4 years ago

Don’t apologize to rude people! It only encourages their narcissism. I like the mirror in the diagonal. If YOU like it- keep it, if not, return it- or find another spot.

Craig Bushman thanked debradann
  • Connie Stackhouse
    4 years ago

Definitely diamond. Looks great!

Craig Bushman thanked Connie Stackhouse
  • Lyn Agre
    4 years ago

Craig Bushman. I appreciate the thanks. I wasn't looking for a thank you but rather wanted to hear what if any decisions were made or what advice helped you the most. It's just feedback that helps everyone who puts in their time. Just so you know I am a designer with very excellent taste. I share my thoughts and opinions based on what someone asks here. If I tell you the mirror is wrong...it's because it is wrong for the fireplace. Not because of any ego per say as some may suggest. If you want me to explain why it is wrong for the Fireplace just ask me ....This place is about helping each other and showing gratitude to those that gave advice free of charge. There are other designers and experts here. You can tell by what they say. There are those that just create division by jumping to one side. Those in the "know" don't do that. And just know when you ask for advice you are going to hear some things that you don't agree with. But look for the things that seem right and think about them when it come to opinions here. Good Luck and hope your mirror gets where you want it to go. Wherever that may be.

• wacokid
    4 years ago

Craig, you took that like champ. And the next time someone tells you “they have very excellent taste” in art, run, run away......good luck

Craig Bushman thanked wacokid
  • Craig Bushman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lyn Agre, Thanks for the input. You did put into words what I first felt---that the mirror and fireplace were fighting with each other. I was conflicted which was why I posed the question here in the first place.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Interesting that when I linked on to the website, it gave the option of 3 different sizes. Perhaps your mirror was shipped in the wrong size in error. Do you have any kind of order confirmation? The price between the two is certainly significant.

• Craig Bushman
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kathy Wright, Exactly. I bought it from a resale website and the listing indicated it was the 47x47 inch size (the smallest). Imagine my surprise when I received the 71x71 inch size instead. I'm trying to resolve this issue with the company, but they say the want proof of what size it actually is. So I sent a photo with a measuring tape across it, but they said the numbers were too small to read. Then I sent several close up photos with the measuring tape, but they said they never received the email. I resent the new photos again along with two more follow-up emails, and I've gotten no response from them. Very, very, very frustrating and disappointing.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

How annoying. With a purchase that large, you would think they would want to be accommodating.

• Linda
    4 years ago

I like it don’t like that big admore

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler