Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

Up/re/potting 2020 has started...

Monyet
4 years ago

Today, 1/26/20 active start of some serious work has commence, realllllly! Yep!

Comments (17)

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Need to add another picture. This is a new home for my Page mandarin, all fruit has been picked, going to let this tree go semi dormant. Don’t need to bloom till April first.

Plumeria will be in the Greenroom to start coming out of dormancy so I can start grafting multi varieties onto it. Have two colors, red, white already, need 4 or 5 new colors. Might have to go to the plumerias forum for that. Page will loose its leaves in a few weeks.

• norwoodn
    4 years ago

hey thats a nice cart for hauling citrus behind your tractor

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

Bob your setup looks really nice.

I did some serious replanting. Here are the results.

Separated seedling Meiwa kumquat trees from this container into their own 32 once cups below.

Put them over my furnace duct and put a light over top.
    It seems like the hard heavy work never ends. LOL

Steve

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Steve, seems like you don’t want it any other way, knowing you.

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Bob, nice work! your plumeria is huge. Me too,I am planning to graft my plumeria this year. My sister in law has the pink variety and I have the white so we will try to graft.

• Ken "Fruity Paws" (N-Va 7a)
    4 years ago

Bob, a bit too much of a pain to do any major moves here for that kind of work with upper 20 nights around the corner. Are those leaf-less fig trees in your garage?

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ken, my high priced figs can only be grown in large containers and brought in in the winter and back out in April. In the garage they will loose all leaves, but in late fall I take all leaves of before they go in the garage.

I got my system the way I like, work is not an issue, like to stay busy except in the early morning, got to have my strong coffee, write a bit of b’s. Fifties for a few days, got to do something.

Might uppot one of my avocado tree’s this morning. 6 citrus trees to go before March.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

I need strong coffee too.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brian, are you up and running yet? Have you find any hidden gems again? Your are good at bringing out hidden tree’s bits by bits, terrible!

My containers are more or less being slit across from one spot to dollies, rather than lifted.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Bob, you are so lucky to be able to start so early. I too noticed the HUGE plumeria. Good growing. How warm is it there these days that you can do that? One could only wish here.

How are you keeping stuff dormant while other things are growing around those plants? That is quite the feat. Do the figs and plumeria stay asleep while the citrus grows?

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mike, tree’s that need to go dormant are going in the garage where temps usely don’t go below 32*. My Page mandarin is going in the garage to go into semi dormancy, this way it’s not getting a chance to premature flowering.

Fruit trees has a first bloom, it’s called king bloom, than a minor one if the king bloom is aborted. You really don’t want that to happen.

In my workshop temps stays in the mid sixties, everything stays green there, aka Greenroom.

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Hi Bob nothing going on here blah blah blah . Late May I will be root pruning many trees and add fresh soil . My trees are for the most part dormant but amazingly some are trying to put out new growth and blooms . Daytime temperatures in the greenhouse are being kept no warmer than 55 to 60F during the daytime and anywhere between 38 - 42 F at night . I like you Bob don't want any of that King bloom hate that although it makes the Greenhouse smell pretty spectacular. I am afraid I will loose control of temperatures in the greenhouse in the next couple of weeks as the sun is becoming much stronger . Bloom in the greenhouse almost always fails in fruit . Bob your weather has been fantastic during January and with you being able to work outdoors is making us all a bit jealous lol. Keep up the good work my friend and great info Bob ! Oh no more hidden treasures yet lol!

Brian

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Uppotted one avocado tree out of two yesterday. Knock of my last shiranui, late maturing one, it is also the biggest one, it probably taste like s(manure).

• Monyet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

While most enjoyed relaxing the months December/January/........got most of my work done, very busy, potting, pruning, cleaning/ burning yard waste, bought most of my potting supplies, no off time for me. Oh btw, our doctor retired, was invited to his farewell party Saturday, his whole family were there, he is one out of eleven children. They enjoyed the big box of citrus I gave him the week before, the Valentine pomelo was their best out of the variety. They never had a citrus that tasted that good. He is the one that send me to the operating room for some hart surgery last winter. So got to give him something, right?

Our doctor for twenty years, since I retired.

I started to send out sionwood that were asked months ago. Send out a couple dozen mailers last spring, hopefully less this spring, next Monday 6 sofar. Never a dull moment here.

• Ken "Fruity Paws" (N-Va 7a)
    4 years ago

Bob, no potting up yet in Virginia, but I did weed my garden since it was 60s. Can't wait until the temps steady up and I can move all the pots back outside! You're definitely ahead of us in the mid atlantic, can't wait to catch up!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    4 years ago

You’re amazing Bob! I wish I could start up too. You are an inspiration!