Software
Houzz Logo Print
belvederefarm

Kitchen cabinet storage help.

6 years ago

I can‘t Decide what to store where in my kitchen. I know dishes close to dishwasher. Cooking items close to oven ect. I mean specificically what goes where. There are just sooo many different items. Every time I go to plan I just get overwhelmed. I know I will figure it out, I’m just tired 😴 so many decisions up to this point. I have a separate room for pantry Items. Any tips or tricks?





Comments (6)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Imagine yourself making some of your regular dinners. What do you need and where would be most convenient. Then imagine doing a big holiday meal. Again, what do you need and where would it be easiest for you.

  • 6 years ago

    For me....I start early when I’m first up...in the kitchen . Coffee and those related items in a good dedicated spot. Then secondly on the counter would be a toaster , blender or whatever you prop on counter . Spices and oils need a good spot away from light and heat: I use these items a lot. Do you have Tupperware or plastic storage stufff : it can take up space so find that area. Better holiday dishes can be further out or in dining room. Stack your pots and pans efficiently and put them where you planned. Casserole and bigger serving bowls need their spot. Utensils and things for drawers are pretty straightforward. Baking ingreds go in cool dry cabinet w door....I don’t put them on open shelves or in pantry , but that is a personal preference.. Canned goods and back up bottles and pints can be in pantry. Just start: you’ll figure it out.

  • 6 years ago

    Don't worry about it. Put things where they seem to fit best right now. Over time, as you use the kitchen and the house, you'll recognize when your choices needed to be adjusted and you can reorganize when you aren't experiencing decision fatigue.

    I've moved cross-country several times and had to become accustomed to different kitchens. Unpacking is a chore, so I don't prolong it. It's much easier to reorganize later when you are not overwhelmed with setting up the whole house.

  • 6 years ago

    So I'm no kitchen planning expert but your kitchen perimeter is similar to mine so I'll share what works for me. In the upper cabinet to the right of the stove I store spices, oils etc. (stuff I pull out and use while cooking since it's quick easy access). I put all my measuring cups, spoons, large utensils, etc. in the drawers to the right of stove. Pots and pans go in the corner lazy susan to the left of stove. Frequently used baking dishes etc go in the uppers to the left of the stove. I prefer to place my plates/cups near the dishwasher so maybe the upper next to your fridge? I like to put tupperware in a drawer to maybe in your island or in one of the big drawers next to fridge. Personally I say start with your frequently used, easy to place stuff or anything that you KNOW where you want it and work from there. There's no set rules. It's just what works best for you. And as someone else mentioned it's not permanent. You can move things if you need. It's a beautiful kitchen, enjoy!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    This is how I have done mine:

    Cabinets besides cooker: upper one and lower one on one side for spices ( up) and stocks and dry herbs etc. lower). The other side, top for sauces and condiments, the lower for food containers etc.

    3 lower cabinets for skillets, baking trays and sauce pans.

    3 upper cabinets for baking accessories like cookie cutters etc.3, teapots and tea cups, and the other for cake tier and soup cups and glasses.

    Same on the opposites side, upper for appliances. lower for drainers, mixing bowls of all kinds etc. and small colanders.

    Getting next to sink: larger colanders and casserole dishes.

    Further away and of way ( as not used all the time) are guest plates and special china dishes.

    Upper shelf , also further away have dishes we use everyday in that area.

    Drawers for spoons and forks etc. and serving spoons/foil and cling wrap/ napkins and potholders etc..

    Cooking oils goes on a turn table on counter and some utensils hanging and in utensil holder.

    I have organized it firstly to what I need where... and which counter top area I will bake or do preparation. I put different chopping boards in a plate holder which keeps them lined up, to grab and go.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Start with a "map" of all cabinets/drawers/other storage (pantry?) in the Kitchen - size, type of storage (base drawer, shelf, etc.) That lets you see what your storage options are.

    Then, work in your kitchen (or pretend if your Kitchen is not usable) and note what tools/utensils/dishes, etc., you use where, i.e., their "point of use". E.g., potholders should go near the range/cooktop and/or ovens and MW. Pots & pans should also go near the range/cooktop. Everyday dishes and silverware should go near the DW. Prepping tools like measuring cups & spoons, mixing bowls, mixer, etc., should go in your Prep Zone.

    The Kitchens Forum has a storage planning FAQ that may be useful:

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5500787/faq-how-do-i-plan-for-storage

    Yes, as others have pointed out, over time you will refine your storage, but it really helps to have a plan and to at least try to put things where they might work best.