FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

Hello Old Friends!

Kswl 2

After a very tumultuous four years of illness and upheaval, our lives are finally approaching some semblance of —-well, not normal, because I am not sure what that looks like any more—-but order from chaos I guess. Over the years I have missed GW and peeked in now and then, but was never ready to join back in. Although we were both diagnosed with serious illnesses, mine proved more treatable. DH has been very seriously ill and was hospitalized for the better part of a year. We are now both retired, have sold our “forever” house and are living in a 55+ community. i am working on the last changes to the new home and thought I might need some help here and there —and perhaps contribute from the standpoint of our recent moves and life changes. I have read the current threads and can’t tell you all how comforting it is that our homes, children and health are still the major topics of interest. I have really missed this friendly and thoughtful corner of the online world.

• jill302

Welcome back! So sorry to hear that you have had so many struggles over the past few years. Wishing you all the best in your new home.

Kswl 2 thanked jill302
  • Moxie

Welcome back! I didn't post much, but I always enjoyed yours. Health issues are so terribly hard. I'm glad that things are improving for you.

Kswl 2 thanked Moxie

New face on old kitchen....age old dilemma

There's got to be some ideas out there for the kitchen color!!! I have better photos to post now that I've cleared away the clutter. The dark green countertops and the open washer dryer arrangement --- That really bothers me that someone removed the doors and they can't be found nor is it in the budge to replace them. For sure it needs something on the wall inside that space to hang brooms and mops. There is really no storage closet but this. So, to hide a lot of junk is hard, you can only try to make the junk look clean and organized. Any ideas are so welcome... I'll have painters here tomorrow to start washing and priming walls.

Need help with a good friend's old house entrance.

Am I missing something? Where is the picture?

Hello Friends, Iv'e had requests for more images of my Farmhouse :) -

The Farmhouse Master Suite Design by - Dawn D Totty Designs on Top of Jasper Highlands Jasper, TN Design Details- Free Standing 70" tub Brass Floor Mounted Delta Faucet Brass and Firefly globe light with Swarovski Crystal gems Ceiling to Floor White Linen Window Treatments Accessories in Brass Finish I welcome you to Tour The Farmhouse at- www.dawndtottydesigns.com

My chair needs a friend - ottoman!!

I decided to bring the table home and try it out- it’s returnable. I think my style is a bit on the traditional side, but probably more transitional and a few pieces are more modern, although I wouldn’t say it’s modern overall. I’ll post a pic of the table later for feedback but I actually really like it. The wood around the edge matches the rooms fireplace mantel. Going to try and go to CB2 to check the puffs suggested in person and also maybe a surya dealer to see if they have the houndstooth footstool!
  • cyn427 NoVaZone7

Oh my, you have been so missed here! I hope the fact that you feel able to post again is a sure sign of life becoming somewhat normal again. Wishing you and your husband continued improving health and much joy in your new home. Cannot wait to hear more!

Kswl 2 thanked cyn427 NoVaZone7
  • schoolhouse_gwagain

I remember you, nice "seeing" you again.

Kswl 2 thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • cawaps

Is is nice to have you back. I'm sorry you've has such troubles, but glad that things have evened out enough that you have the leisure to rejoin us. Looking forward to hearing about your projects.

Kswl 2 thanked cawaps
  • jmck_nc

Another infrequent poster, but more frequent lately, who is so happy to see you back. You have certainly been missed! Wishing you all the best as you navigate the new normal.

Kswl 2 thanked jmck_nc
  • Star Jeep

Also a mostly lurker (of over 15 years!), Glad to see you back. I remember your beautiful brick floored basement reno and your gorgeous Christmas decorating.

Kswl 2 thanked Star Jeep
  • Bonnie

So very sorry about the health issues you and your husband have endured. It’s nice to have you back here. I always enjoyed your thoughtful posts, especially around the holidays (the nutcracker tablescape was swoon worthy!)

Kswl 2 thanked Bonnie
  • Annie Deighnaugh

OMG! Welcome back. You've been missed and thought of so fondly over the years. I'm so sorry you had to face into such turmoil, but am glad you've checked back in with us.

Kswl 2 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 1929Spanish-GW

Welcome back!

Kswl 2 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • bpath reads banned books too

Welcome back! We were missing you. Come sit down, catch your breath, and commisserate with us. You know we are always here :)

Kswl 2 thanked bpath reads banned books too
  • FinallyHome

Welcome back!

Kswl 2 thanked FinallyHome
  • gsciencechick

I will also chime in and say it's great to see you post and I'm sorry for your health issues. Looking forward to seeing photos of the new home.

Kswl 2 thanked gsciencechick
  • lizbeth-gardener

Welcome back, KSWL! I thought I had pulled up a post from the past.

I'm sorry to hear of you and your spouse's health issues and hope your road ahead is smoother. So good to have you back!

Kswl 2 thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Kswl 2

Door to left goes to garage. Door to right goes to walk in pantry.

The drop zone is almost finished but I am already using it. The picture looks narrower than the actual opening is. It was a very small closet so they widened and lengthened the opening. we did not case it because I didn’t want it to look like a closet with the door taken off :)

Shiplap on the back wall, butcher block floating bench and half depth shelf above and satin brass hooks. The space extends 8 inches On each side beyond the opening behind the wall, and Saturday they will come back and put 6” deep floating shelves of butcher block from front to back along the sides, three shelves on one side and two on the other. I will keep small baskets there for keys, dog treats, stuff that needs to be taken somewhere else, etc. I drew a sketch of what I thought would be most useful and they built it exactly as I requested. My purse is going to be very happy!

• pudgeder

Looks like wonderful "purse storage!" Welcome back!

Kswl 2 thanked pudgeder
  • allison0704

That was a great idea, and will be so handy. 2 years ago we moved from 5 acres/4 dogs and were afraid our old men (11yo at the time) would miss roaming. Luckily, they were slowing down and did not seem to mind. We lost the last of the pair this week.

Kswl 2 thanked allison0704
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A

KSWL - Yay!!! You HAVE been missed here, without a doubt. It's so great to see that user name again.

allison....being a huge dog lover; It's sad to see you lost a fur kid. I'll be snuggling extra close to my three tonight.

Kswl 2 thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • chispa

Kswl, so good to see you back! Wishing you and your DH healthy years for the future.

Kswl 2 thanked chispa
  • bac717

Your new drop zone looks great!! That made so much sense to remove the door. 3 doors in a small space is a lot. And I love the fact that the shelves will be pretty well hidden from view, but easily accessible.

Kswl 2 thanked bac717
  • hcbm

KSWL welcome back. I rarely post, but have been here a long time. I wish you and your husband good health.

Kswl 2 thanked hcbm
  • mtnrdredux_gw

That's practical and clever, and classically tasteful. That's KSWL.

Kswl 2 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • cat_mom

Welcome back!

Hope your and your husband’s health problems are behind you.

Kswl 2 thanked cat_mom
  • mojomom

You have been missed! I remember your wonderful basement and gorgeous Christmas decorations and can’t wait to see what you are doing with the new house. I’m sorry to hear of your and your DH’s health problems and hope that all is resolved.

Kswl 2 thanked mojomom
  • kellysar

So sorry about your and your husband's health issues. So glad you're back! And the drop zone looks great.

Kswl 2 thanked kellysar
  • roarah

Your knack for great design and style has not changed! The drop zone is perfect!

Kswl 2 thanked roarah
  • Funkyart

What a great surprise to see you again, KSWL! I am sorry you've had so much to deal with but glad to hear you are settling in with a new normal. You were surely missed.. and mentioned often. I look forward to hearing more from you and seeing your projects evolve!

Kswl 2 thanked Funkyart
  • Bluebell66

Welcome back! I remember your wonderful taste and thoughtful contributions to many design dilemmas. Your name still comes up every now and then, so you have not been forgotten! So sorry to hear about your health issues and hope they are behind you now.

Kswl 2 thanked Bluebell66
  • texanjana

Welcome back Kswl! You have been missed. I am so sorry to hear of your family's health challenges. I look forward to again enjoying your fabulous decorating skills.

Kswl 2 thanked texanjana
  • tinam61

I am so happy to see you back!! I always loved seeing your home. I am sorry to hear of your health issues but hope you both are on the road to recovery. Welcome back!

Kswl 2 thanked tinam61

I'm very new here so I have not had the pleasure of seeing your previous posts. I must say that I'm very impressed by all the posts welcoming you back and the kind words. You obviously have left an important and lovely impression on people.

Kswl 2 thanked HU-957466623
  • Kswl 2

Thank you HU and everyone. I am happy to be back where I can talk about houses and decor without boring anyone. It still surprises me that some people (even really nice people!) are just not interested in their surroundings.

• Oakley

I'm thrilled you're back! Every year at Christmas when I hang the two pastel green and white checked stockings I always think of you. I bought them because of the colors in your house since mine sometimes is the same. lol

What colors are you using this time? And I'm sorry for the health problems, I'll say an extra prayer for you and your's tonight.

Welcome home!

ETA: Some of us rarely go to the decor side so let us know if you're posting house stuff there.

Kswl 2 thanked Oakley
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Philistines all, KSWL.

They stockings sound pretty, Oak. I'd like to see those, if non-Christmas-obsessed people could avert their eyes, would you post them?

Kswl 2 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • heather483

I'm another one who mostly lurks, but so glad to see your note! you have no idea how many times I have said to myself: Knowledge Speaks, Wisdom Listens.

Kswl 2 thanked heather483
  • smalloldhouse_gw

Another mostly long-time lurker who remembers all your beautiful posts & style. Very glad to see you back here!

Kswl 2 thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • Oakley

Mtn, let me see if I have an old picture.

Kswl 2 thanked Oakley
  • Oakley

Here it is, a bad quality picture. Excuse the mess on the floor, DH simply makes messes. :)

Kswl 2 thanked Oakley
  • mtnrdredux_gw

those are pretty Oakley

Kswl 2 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • bbstx

@Kswl 2, I saw your name on a thread this morning and wondered “is that our KSWL or is it some fake using her name? I sure hope it is our KSWL!” And it was! Welcome back!

Kswl 2 thanked bbstx
  • Kswl 2

Oakley those are my happy color combo, bright green, red and white. And PLAID! I am still mad for plaid... we brought the green and white checked rug of the carpet we had in the old basement and it is now in our new lower level!

• Oakley

K, that's why I fell in love with your decor, the colors are so cheery. The above picture was when I decorated in those colors for the grandkids, hence the ball garland. I even had a big elf on a bicycle! Best Christmas colors, IMO. Cheerful.

Kswl 2 thanked Oakley
  • happy2b…gw

Kswl, so glad you are back and that the worst times are behind you. I always think of your green and white checked rug.

Kswl 2 thanked happy2b…gw
  • daisychain01

Sorry to hear of your health issues. So glad you've made it back to us. I hope we get to see more of you're new spaces. Loving the drop (and sit) zone. Our designer also talked us into leaving casings off of some entrances. I really like the look.

Kswl 2 thanked daisychain01
  • Cheryl Hannebauer

welcome back, looking forward to updates & lve the new drop zone :)

Kswl 2 thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • Bethpen

Welcome Back! I look forward to your posts!

Kswl 2 thanked Bethpen
  • Lukki Irish

Kswl!!! I was randomly reading threads and saw your name on another post, I’m so glad you’re back! I hope things continue to get better for you and your husband.

Kswl 2 thanked Lukki Irish
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24

Wow!!! What a nice surprise! It’s obvious you‘ve never been forgotten and you have been missed. I also remember your lovey decor pics and look forward to many more as you happily and healthfully settle into your new home. Yes, welcome home!!!

Kswl 2 thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • theclose

So nice to hear from you! I just popped on while being off for a bit and it was so good to see your handle! I hope 2020 is good to you. : )

Kswl 2 thanked theclose
  • oldbat2be

kswl - I'm so sorry for what you have been through. I'd like to say it is lovely to see your name again. You will always be associated with 'Basement Envy' in my mind and I think of your lovely transformation regularly as I descend to the washer and dryer in our basement and dream about the possible. The new drop zone looks so clean, would love to see more pictures as you are ready to share. I have been planning our mudroom for the past 2 years, so very much appreciate the details.

allison0704 - My condolences on your loss. 13 is a good age, but still far too short.

Kswl 2 thanked oldbat2be