diwalkerskis

Kitchen backsplash alternatives tiles

D Walker

We are doing a beautiful leathered Green Fusion quartzite on our island and I fell in love with a be tile by Blue Slide Art Tile (Tea Stain) in a similar shade for our kitchen backsplash, but it’s a bit spendy so am looking for alternative ideas... Even though we are a ways off from needing to make that selection. The cabinets are natural Red Birch, shaker style and the perimeter countertops will be Cambria Newport (to offset the wildness of the island a bit :->)... pics attached. I’ve definitely spent time looking online but all the options are a bit overwhelming...

• herbflavor

nice but how about that peachy solid tile off on the right side of board .....in synch with cabinetry and there is amber/copper/tan in counter.

Granite backsplash or just tile backsplash? No more 4" of counter top before tile?

Generally most people do not use the 4" backsplash and then put tile above that. It looks a bit cookie cutter to do so. The crack between the two materials is generally caulked with a special caulk that is color coordinated to the grout and it comes from the tile store. This caulk will generally need to be replaced over time, particularly on exterior walls, as the wall is affected by expansion and contraction with the weather and the countertop is not - cracks will begin to show up. You can just cut it out and replace it.

Mixing 4" granite backsplash with a tile backsplash behind the range.

I’m not a pro, and can’t comment on what you are proposing. But as an alternative suggestion, would your builder be amiable to forgoing the backsplash entirely? While I don’t have the dimensions of your kitchen or the tile type, the price seems quite high. As part of a total remodel I had a master tiler install handmade custom tile for about half that price. I also think backsplashes are best chosen last. The tile that was my tentative first choice turned out not to be the one once cabinets and granite was installed.

Tile backsplash or not tile backsplash?

I am not sure what look you are going for but I just added grey glass subway tile to my kitchen and absolutely love the look. It's neutral and really works well with a busy countertop.

glass panel kitchen backsplash versus glass tile kitchen backsplash

When what do I need to consider when looking for a company that makes glass panel as back splash. I know that for painted glass they use different materials. Does any one has any experience with product is more durable? What about secure between two glass panels to prevent breakage if there is house shifting ?
  • traci_from_seattle

Wow! Your stone is very similar to my green fusion, which I paired with walnut cabinets and white uppers. I struggled with the backsplash and ended up matching the uppers but I do sometimes still wish I had chosen a color.

• D Walker

Agree that the island counter is the star, but the backsplash will be adjacent to the much simpler cambria Newport (off-white), so was thinking it could work to have some variation in the tile. But definitely not a designer! working with one, just haven’t gotten to the backsplash yet...too many other decisions that come first!

Unfortunately the tile on that wall is all from the same place so doubt the peach one is any cheaper...

Love your installed green fusion - how long have you had it? I can’t wait until ours is installed (still several months away), but also nervous about it since it is definitely not neutral... fortunately I love green :-)

• jhmarie

It is good to start thinking about backsplash and getting samples, but wait till the counters are installed to make a final decision. Then you can put samples up in the real space and see what you think. The backsplash color you are considering is very pretty, but you want to be sure that there is not too much movement in the kitchen - something you can't really tell till the counters and cabinets are in. Wood cabinets have a little more movement to them than painted because of the grain. On the other hand, the color variations in that tile seem subdue enough that it might work - but you won't really now till the kitchen starts coming together.

• D Walker

Yep, will definitely wait until everything is in before choosing the backsplash... was just looking for less expensive options that are similar in color to get samples of.... Those are $45 sq foot and if we decide to take the backsplash all the way up the wall that’ll get expensive.

• Design Girl

I'd keep it simple. Those counters are SUPER busy.

• D Walker

Yep, super busy/wild... but on the island and not adjacent to the tile.

• Michelle misses Sophie

While the fusion may not be adjacent to the tile, you don't want to tire your visual focus going from one to the other back and forth with them fighting for attention. Keep the backsplash simple/one color and just have one "star" in the kitchen.

• traci_from_seattle

Fireclay tiles are less than $45 but not significantly (I think they’re $29-35) but they do have a lot of beautiful colors. Once you get your counters installed you‘ll have a better idea of how much color you want on your backsplash.

I‘ve had my fusion for about a year and I’m still as in love with it as ever, even more. It has been bulletproof and was worth the splurge.

Beth H. :

I think it's a nice choice.

2x10 Polished Newport is a lot less expensive. (but I still like the ones you posted too)

cpartist has a very similar fusion countertop. maybe she will pop in and post pics.

• D Walker

Thanks for the suggestions... I’ll check those out & post more when I get closer to having to make that selection (after everything is in :->)

Beth H. :

just because the stone is the star of the show doesn't mean the backsplash has to be the ugly friend!

You can have a perfectly nice looking tile that just enhances the look of the stone. it just depends on the overall look of the kitchen. I love your cabinets and the stone. You can do something diff besides a plain white tile! lol

this would be pretty too.

if going w/the white, at least do a nice hand made glazed white tile. CleTile is one option

this iridescent glass tile is also nice

or, pick out the darkest color in the stone and use it.

• rnonwheels

I would match tones of the creams in the fusion and not the greens, love it for the island - let it shine!

• D Walker

Those are some great ideas/options Beth - thanks! I could be wrong (and am definitely reserving judgement till cabs & counters are in) but I very much doubt I’ll go with white or cream, I’ll likely want some color that will pull from the quartzite or the red birch. The Cambria Newport that’ll be on the perimeter is light colored with very little pattern, so I would think I’ll want a bit of color against it....

• D Walker

Btw Beth, what are some of those other options that you show in the first pic on top of the slab? And the iridescent one?

Beth H. :

oh, well shoot,,i though you were putting tile up against the fusion. then yes, go w/a tile that pulls the color from the stone. The island can still be the star. I honestly don't know why people always say that. 'only one star to the kitchen'. pffft. As long as you're not doing some wild/crazy pattern mosaic, a soft green or blue tile will be perfectly fine against the Newport.

Winchester tile has some beautiful blue/greens, (that jade and prussian blue are gorge!)

also look at Fireclay, Encore ceramics and Seneca Tiles

• D Walker

I wish... there was only the one slab so we decided to use it for the island instead of the perimeter, figured we’d see & enjoy it more there...

• mariebernadette

hello! my husband and i are the owners of Blue Slide Art tile.

just to let you know the " spendy" part of our tile is the craft behind it. we have been hand making and hand brushing our tiles at blue slide for almost 40 years. you are paying for a honed craft, made in point reyes california and are supporting a small family business. you can find less spendy tiles, made overseas, made in large manufacturing plants and sprayed booths to apply the glaze. we touch every tile many times and the beautiful look and feel cannot be replicated with other highly manufactured processes,

good luck, and thank you for thinking of our beautiful handmade in california tiles...

pamela and gordon

blueslidearttile.com

• RedRyder

Don’t do white tiles on the backsplash. If the splashy stone is only on the island, using a color will make the room more lively. Otherwise, you have white with white all around the perimeter. A green/blue tile would be gorgeous.

• D Walker

Pamela (or @mariebernadette). I definitely did not mean to imply that the tile isn’t worth it! It is stunning and I still haven’t found anything I like as well. Saying it was over my backsplash budget would have been a more accurate statement :-).

• ljptwt7

What a gorgeous stone! Hoping you go with the jade or prussian blue (or similar) color Beth mentioned...I tend to love dark jewel tones.

• traci_from_seattle

So what did you end up choosing for your backsplash?

• D Walker

It’s not in yet but we have enough of the quartzite left to create a large “tile” behind the range and then we are just using a simple off white 4x4 tile that has some different textures/iridescence. I wanted something with more color but I didn’t find anything I liked as well with the Newport... (partly because of decision fatigue :->)

• eam44

It’s looking beautiful! Keep us posted and definitely give more images when you can.

• D Walker

Eam44 Thanks! Hopefully the backsplash will be going in in a few weeks, just waiting to hear back from our tile contractor on when he’ll be able to fit us in.

Beth H. :

looks great!

I think the Winchester tile in Tundra would be a perfect match. has just the slightest touch of blue/gray/green to match your stone. It's not overly dark. just enough color to compliment the countertop.

or something like this. looks great w/your open shelving.

Cloe is another white you might like too

• D Walker

Oh, that Winchester tile looks beautiful... but tile already ordered. We ended up going with something similar to the cloe, but figured combined with the quartzite it would look good. Truthfully I’m sort of at the decision fatigue point (actually I passed that about 3 mos ago!), so when our KD brought samples of this one over and I liked it more than anything else I had seen/tried I pulled the trigger on it.

Beth H. :

yes it can get overwhelming.

OK, white is fine. but if it gets there and you're not in love with it, perhaps you could relegate it to a bathroom or something and do the Winchester!

Ya know, I did suggest Winchester 5 months ago to you!

• D Walker

Lol, bathrooms are done thank goodness... Beth - I know you suggested the Winchester! Along with some other lovely selections. I looked at all of them online and ordered samples of the ones I was able to get (Fireclay, cle tile, can’t remember what else). I know I looked at Winchester online as well but if I remember correctly the color choices were a bit overwhelming for me without context. I liked some of the Encore tiles as well but wasn’t able to purchase samples online and COVID has complicated the tile shopping process here (eg showrooms closed or by appt only). White or off-white definitely wouldn’t have been my first selection but the redeeming part of this particular tile is the texture and the varying iridescence, which doesn’t really show up well in the pic. So hopefully between that and the quartzite It’ll turn out nice...

Beth H. :

lol. well, I'm sure the tile you got will be fine. You've done a great job so far w/all of your picks. can't wait to see it completed. (i'm sure you REALLY are ready to be done!)

• traci_from_seattle

Your kitchen looks great! I love the cabinets, and of course the fusion. Can’t wait to see the finished project (I’m sure you can’t, too, at this point).

• ljptwt7

Well, even though I was hoping for a color, since you have the quartzite behind the range the white tile you chose may be the best choice. Can I ask what wood the cabinets are? They look great!

• D Walker

The cabinets are red birch and the trim and floating shelves are walnut...

• felizlady

If you have one big-enough piece of the counter material for the stove space, definitely use it....not pieces, one single piece. Then you can pick one simple solid backsplash tile for the rest of the backsplash. Beautiful choice of quartzite!

• D Walker

The way it lays out we have a big enough piece to do a large “tile” (24” x 16”) that’ll be centered in the middle....