Software
Houzz Logo Print
saina_behnejad

My kitchen is very modern and a bit cold - how can I warm it up?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone. People always give such great advice here. I had my kitchen refitted and I love it. But does it seem a bit cold? I'm not sure how I can warm it up a bit. (The cabinets are not blue they're silver, I've left the plastic on until everything is finished to prevent damage). The splashback is black with some dark brown running through it. I got some very dark wood and metal industrial style stools for the counter. They'll arrive this weekend. Link here: https://www.barkerandstonehouse.co.uk/dining-room/Barstools/Otis-Barstool/2-6682-96482/ As you can tell I love dark furniture which probably isn't ideal for a smallish apartment haha. I did lighten it up with the grey tiles and the white ceiling. But still a little concerned, I was thinking I could put some plants or a clear vase with some colourful flowers on the wood counter. Is there much else I can do? Most of my appliances are black or stainless steel but I could also maybe display my olive wood cutting boards somewhere? I have spotlights - I didn't want to add hanging lights. Also the additional storage area is actually a bar haha. I don't even drink much but I'm hoping I'll be having friends round a lot. In front of it is where the dining table will go which I've put a picture of below. The legs will be black. Sorry about the lighting in the photos!

Comments (43)

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago

    It's very striking and modern as you said. What warms a space for me are the personal touches that tell everyone this is my home. The clock DH made while we were dating, the bowl of fruit on my counter- the bowl being an antique that was once my grandmothers....The tea pot on the stove at the ready.....

    Saina Behnejad thanked arcy_gw
  • 6 years ago

    i was thinking to add a few bits and pieces given to me by my mum and grandma but given how stark the colour scheme is would pops of colour work or should I stick with this colour scheme? Such as antique silver vases?

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you! I do love white kitchens but I have always seemed to gravitate to darker colour schemes. I was thinking to go more industrial initially but this seemed more fitting with the rest of the apartment, and I made up for it by getting a industrial metal desk for when I work from home. Still need to find a comfy desk chair.

  • 6 years ago

    Add just a few, but striking, natural handmade pieces--big raw edge wood cutting boards, wood bowls, some handmade pottery bowls, handwoven baskets. If you're getting counter stools, get wood ones. Your kitchen is amazing.

    Spectacular Kitchen and Family Modern Update · More Info


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Amazing kitchen!

    I think displaying your family pieces is a great idea, as well as the cutting boards. Wood is great at warming things up! I’d definitely add colorful accessories, not just silver.

    Some other dark/stainless kitchens, just to show how getting your own things in there will personalize the room:




    Saina Behnejad thanked Jilly
  • 6 years ago

    Lighting makes a big difference. Under cabinet lighting is desperately needed.

    Saina Behnejad thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I saw you have bar stools en route. I think with those you're missing an opportunity to pick up the few light, gold tones in the kitchen in granite, flooring. Any chance you could cancel the order and look for stools in a wood finish that would echo the floor? Yes to any handcrafted wooden pieces, functional ones, like bowls, the cutting board you mentioned, to bring warmth to the kitchen. Do you have a corner in the kitchen where you could add an "unexpected" table lamp? This is a white kitchen, totally different than yours, but the table lamps are such a wonderful, personal surprise. The huge round wood cutting board adds an organic shape to this kitchen as well. I also think a few personal inherited pieces are absolutely called for in a real kitchen as opposed to one that is totally stylized "for show."


    Saina Behnejad thanked housegal200
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    housegal200 amazing that you picked up on the goldtones in the granite floor, they're barely visible in the picture haha. I see your point about the stools - something like this? https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/fairbournchildrensfurniture/product/oak-bar-stool?DGMKT=FID__TID_aud-453406178336:pla-295339211726_PID_156802_CRI_295339211726&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIscWN8p3b5wIV0cjeCh311wutEAkYESABEgK5MPD_BwE 

    The table lamp is a fab Idea! Once I've gotten everything I need for the kitchen I'll see if I have the space for it in the right spot.


    And I will have under cabinet lighting from next week :) it's all a bit slow going but I'm getting there


    Jinx thank you those pictures are really helpful inspiration

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Wow, that is a stunning kitchen! Don't fret over it. Bit by bit you will be able to incorporate pieces that will complement it and reflect you beautifully.

    PS I would focus on displaying useful things in your bar area. The wood is a gorgeous backdrop for pretty accessories. Plus your table is incredible as well. Maybe a very simple centerpiece there, an old worked repousse silver bowl, to stand in contrast to the modern feel of everything, for example. What a magnificent kitchen, with an abundance of style!

    Saina Behnejad thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 6 years ago

    I think adding organic elements to a space makes a big difference. Go bigger with your vase and branches on your shelf. Find a spot for a tray with succulents. You have a good eye, you got this!

    Saina Behnejad thanked deegw
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thank you - it's my first kitchen fitting so I've been very nervous about it. Glad you like it!

    Zalco yes I've been thinking over what to put on some of the display areas of the bar. I have a very pretty champagne glass set I'll probably display and my mum has given me a lovely whiskey tumbler set that I may dispaly as well, along with a cocktail recipes book. Other than that I'm not sure yet!

    Deegw I have quite a few succulents I haven't found spots for yet, I'll see how they look there, thanks!

  • 6 years ago

    Very cool/interesting kitchen! Very nice change from the run of the mill white. As mentioned above just need some striking accessories.

    Saina Behnejad thanked ljangell44
  • 6 years ago

    Nice kitchen. You are correct it needs a little warming up & brightening up. First I would add a bank of lighting under every upper cabinet to help with the darkness from the black counter and backsplash, especially in the back corner. Then judiciously add modern cooking accessories on the black countertop like spices in matching glass jars with cork tops or stainless vases holding wood cooking utensils. Hang your collection of cutting boards on hooks on the white wall next to the refrigerator. Maybe add a cactus under a glass dome on the wood counter.

    Saina Behnejad thanked keith Dcil
  • 6 years ago

    i was thinking to add a few bits and pieces given to me by my mum and grandma but given how stark the colour scheme is would pops of colour work or should I stick with this colour scheme? Such as antique silver vases?

    Absolutely beautiful kitchen. Make sure you have under cabinet lighting.

    Yes you can absolutely add the pieces given to you by family. The kitchen is neutral enough that it will definitely warm it up.

    Saina Behnejad thanked cpartist
  • 6 years ago

    love your space, & yes add your wooden items into the mix...

    Saina Behnejad thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • 6 years ago

    hi everyone! thought I'd update you. the kitchen is still progressing slowly but my dining table, chairs and bar stools arrived! I'm so happy. I know the bar stool colour chosen didn't seem ideal but I actually love it now I put them there

  • 6 years ago

    the dining table legs are being changed to a black table base tomorrow fyi. not loving the golf for some reason - I think because it contrasts weirdly with the copper lights

  • 6 years ago

    It all looks great! Thanks for showing us!

    Now ... what can I do to convince you to leave the table legs gold? You have so much black everywhere (which I love), the contrast is nice. :)

  • 6 years ago

    jinx you really think they go? I feel like it looks odd. here's another angle.

  • 6 years ago

    Oh, ok, I see what you mean. It is a lot of metal finishes— the copper, gold, and stainless.


    Darn. I really love the gold. :)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I haven't seen this thread before. Nice job! How far is the bottom of chandler from top of table? Looks low. I would keep counter clutter to a minimum, and add a few woven things for more texture. Also would move tray from table to the wood/bar area. What is the item hanging on the wood area with 4 vertical arms?

    Saina Behnejad thanked Allison0704
  • 6 years ago

    don't worry I'm not throwing them away! I'll keep them in storage until I find a use for them because they are so pretty

  • 6 years ago

    hi allison0704 it is a little low haha I'm having my uncle fix it tomorrow because im useless with that stuff.

    ignore what is happening in the kitchen! it's still a mess and stuff is all over the place. that is a tealight holder that I will throw in a cupboard and only bring out for romantic evenings once I lure a man into a relationship with me 😂

  • 6 years ago

    “....bring out for romantic evenings once I lure a man into a relationship with me.”


    Lol! 😂


    I don’t think you’d have that problem at all! I imagine you have to beat them off with a stick!

    Saina Behnejad thanked Jilly
  • 6 years ago

    oh just realised you meant the drink dispenser lol clearly not with it today - so yes spirit dispenser. for some reason my mum was determined that I put it up - she refuses to believe I'm not a big drinker since she saw me drunk once when I was 17.

    haha jinx so kind thank you!

  • 6 years ago

    I could see some type of tropical flower arrangement on wood counter.




    I also love Ginger, Bird of Paradise, Orchids, etc.

    Saina Behnejad thanked freedomplace1
  • 6 years ago

    for some reason my mum was determined that I put it up


    LOL It's your place, so you are allowed to do what you want to do! #itsfunbeingagrownup

  • 6 years ago

    its different with middle eastern families! the coddling doesn't ever end 😂 I thought it was a good idea though, it'll be handy when I have guests over

  • 6 years ago

    also allison0704 I did what you suggested and moved the tray to the bar and put some glasses on it

  • 6 years ago

    I love the height of the lights over the table. It feels warm and intimate. And love the overall look and design. Just spectacular!


    Saina Behnejad thanked LH On the Move
  • 6 years ago

    Things are coming along beautifully! Mabrouk!

  • 6 years ago

    freedomplace1 yes I love tropical flowers! I'll decorate the wood counter with them whenever I have guests over

  • 6 years ago

    thank you everyone! and Leslie I'll do a tester with the lights and see if a taller person doesn't get bothered by them before I decide what to do

  • 6 years ago

    me and my uncle changed the table base - never been so afraid of a drill in my life 😂 thankfully the table survived and is looking great!

  • 6 years ago

    Glamorous rooms.

    Saina Behnejad thanked lindahambleton
  • 6 years ago

    Fabulous!

    Saina Behnejad thanked Jilly
  • 6 years ago

    Gorgeous!

    Saina Behnejad thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 6 years ago

    New table base is great. Hope you appreciate the help from your family .

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks, and I do appreciate it lol, we see it as a fun project to do together.