Software
Houzz Logo Print
sbak24

kitchen lighting

6 years ago

Having popcorn removed and would like to add a light fixture or pendant lights above the island. Would love any suggestions for this space! Also note the floors will be changed to wood soon.

Comments (26)

  • 6 years ago

    what would you consider your style? and also, are there any other hanging fixtures near by, we might see?

  • 6 years ago

    I would go with a single small chandette, because this is the view most people will see when walking by. I added a plain roman shade to the window, though I was torn bc you could do a pattern too. but really it helps to remove some of the red and also give a backdrop for the chandelier.



  • 6 years ago

    Thank you for your response. I like the idea of one fixture there (and certainly would be the easiest. That one is a little fancy for my style. This pic shows the the sausalito pendant in the dining room.

  • 6 years ago

    How long is the island? How much lighting do you need? I used a "pool table" light above our eating area.

    https://www.elkgroupinternational.com/island-light-3/chadwick-3-light-island-light-in-satin-nickel-with-gloss-white-shade-66165-3


  • PRO
    6 years ago





  • 6 years ago

    Beverly, I like the last one you posted and also like the one above Tedbixby posted. The island is 38x72.

  • 6 years ago

    I also have a nook that you couldn’t see in the first pic. I would have to go along with the style or just change that to match what I choose.

  • 6 years ago

    then do a simple bronze with no crystal, not sure the width of your island, but be careful not to go too wide or hang it too low.

  • 6 years ago

    Your cooktop is right over where you want to place it so I would avoid any fabric or glass as it will be affected. and be careful of how tall it is because you do not want this to feel too big.

  • 6 years ago

    Would 22” diameter work for 72x38 island?

  • 6 years ago

    Im honestly starting to wonder if you really need any fixtures there.....what about a semi flush just to dress it up a bit.

  • 6 years ago

    might be a bit wide, you have to think abut where it will hang in opposition to you standing in front of the stove and that it not feel looming.

  • 6 years ago

    So I’m thinking one chandelier vs the two pendants. Opinion?

  • 6 years ago

    Do you have any concern with the 2nd one regarding grease and dust accumulating on the glass and even how to get to it to clean it on a regular basis with the cooktop underneath it?

  • 6 years ago

    I do but I don’t fry any foods necessarily where grease is a big issue. Maybe I should leave it without and just buy a pretty fixture for the nook. I’m honestly tired of thinking about it, but just feel that it looks plain and boring without anything. 😩

  • 6 years ago

    Have you considered something on the kitchen window? I'm thinking a wood shade which will give you more impact than an open or glass pendant and also give you some warmth and texture.


    Woven Wood Shades | Custom made shades | Blinds To Go · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Yes- actually they came to measure for them this morning! You think that is enough?

  • 6 years ago

    Yes, I do think that's enough! And I also agree that buying a cute nook fixture is a better idea.

    In your situation, with the cooktop and not so tall ceilings I think you are better off to leave it without.

  • 6 years ago

    I agree with RL and if you still feel like it is missing something after you put your new floors in then you can revisit adding a pendant. As I think once you have the new window covering and floors you'll feel that you don't need it. A couple of other thoughts. You may want to consider replacing the 2 pictures on the right if they have no sentimental meaning to you as they aren't adding any color. Are those canisters to the right of the sink? I can't tell what they are as they are dark. Maybe try something either brighter or lighter?

  • 6 years ago

    The most important fact of kitchen lighting is that you need light on the work surfaces on the perimeter counters and the island. Recessed lighting may not reach the work surfaces but they may be good for general lighting.

  • 6 years ago

    Susan- it looks like you have one recessed light now over the island? How has that been working for you?

  • 6 years ago

    The one has been fine as far as lighting. Adding would just be aesthetic.
    I can see that the canisters and pictures look dark. I have been trying to take away from the awful white floors 🤦🏼‍♀️

  • 6 years ago

    So it sounds like the recessed light is a non issue for lighting the work surface. I think you'll find if you use more color, it will do a better job of distracting the eye from the white floor. If you look at your 1st posted photo, my eye went to the more colorful painting on the left 1st before it went to the darker ones on the right size. You can just put some colorful towels over those pieces before you invest in anything more colorful just so you'll get a feel for it.

  • 6 years ago

    That’s a great idea. Thanks for the advice! Maybe that along with the window treatment will help!

  • 6 years ago

    PS I have seen much worse floors, try cleaning the grout, there are a lot of great diy grout cleaning tips, sometimes that helps a lot, people often don't realize how light their grout is until they clean it and it makes a huge impact. https://www.bobvila.com/articles/homemade-grout-cleaner/