Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_sullivan6775386

How do I find a contractor that can help with design?

Heather Sullivan
4 years ago

My husband and I are looking to do some significant work to our 1927 Craftsman-style home--most notably a complete renovation and expansion of the kitchen, as well as adding some square footage to the back of our house where there is currently a pretty decrepit screened porch. We've tried contacting a few contractors, both those recommended by friends and some we located through online searches, and none have returned our calls. Are we looking in the right place, or is there some other kind of professional that we could contact that can come and tell us what is feasible and give some options and estimates? We are in Westchester County, NY, so any referrals would be appreciated.

Comments (11)

• H B
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There are construction firms that bill themselves as "design-build" firms that sometimes have more depth of staff -- project managers, a kitchen designer, etc. Whether their skill set can truly meet your needs -- YMMV. I am in a situation where I know a fair number of architects and am always impressed by their sense of, and understanding of space, as well as knowledge of different styles and how to design within those (as well as other) constraints. So while we used a design-build for our remodel (kitchen/family room) and appreciated their soup to nuts oversight of the project, we did start with (our own) architect.

Additionally, the current economy is such that many in the construction industry have more work than they can handle, and that may be why you haven't had much of a response. Good luck!

• PRO
    Delson or Sherman Architects pc
    4 years ago

Design-build firms get a lot of press on this site, and in a best-case scenario, one-stop shopping is appealing. But if I were a client, I'd fight to keep my architect and contractor separate. An independent architect's job is to defend the client against the contractor, especially if something goes wrong during the construction process. And construction is rarely a smooth process. Clients often have little experience with construction, so having an experienced professional on your side is a critical advantage.

By contrast, working with a design-build team, a client has no defender. He's on his own against a unified front of professionals on their own turf. Not that the process is necessarily adversarial, but when it is, I'd want my own architect.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

Promoting the notion that a client needs to be "defended" from an unscrupulous builder or remodeler has been a proven strategy for architects to attract clients. Fear motivates. However, there are plenty of examples here on houzz.com where architects' clients got the short end of the stick. Who was there to "defend" them against their architect?

An experienced firm--whether builder, remodeler, design/build firm, designer or architect--with some equity in their "brand"-- has an economic interest to act in a way that safeguards that equity. I think the majority of firms will; particularly in an age of social media. I know we won't risk the equity we've built in our brand over the past 37 years over a few thousand dollars-- and issues in residential construction rarely amount to more than that.

I believe it's in a client's best interest to embrace a collaborative, team-based approach to residential design and construction which begins in the design phase--whether it involves a design/build firm or an independent architect and builder or remodeler working together (gasp!) And don't just take my word on it, read what Ann Edminster, LEED AP, says on the subject:

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2014/05/14/a-better-approach-to-designbuild

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Whatever the house cost? Plan to spend at least half that. At least. Probably more. If that’s affordable? Contact a local architect. Builders don’t design. Builders build what architects design. Builders give reality based gut checks to pie in the sky owners and architects. If you bring them on board during the planning stage. If you fail to do that, then you’ll end up with a project that costs as much as the house cost when you get bids. With the builder’s input, you end up with a much reduced scope, but a budget only 1/3 over what you hoped your highest number would be for the whole abandoned enchilada.

The world does not use any of the fictitious numbers or whacked out TV reasoning of HGTV. The reality is that people don’t buy homes and rip them apart unless they want an expensive hobby that costs them loads of money and stress. I recommend horses instead.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Heather:

You need to sell yourself to the contractors that were recommended to you. The guys you want are busier than hell right now. Romance them, please.

• strategery
    4 years ago

Super busy builders, architects, trades? Hmm, seems to be highly area dependent. My area in BC Canada is becoming a snoozefest.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

I got stood up by a potential customer today; cost me about 3 hours. If this customer won the Florida Lottery tomorrow and offered me $5,000,000.00 to replace his sink, I would refuse. He showed a contemptuous disrespect for my time.

This ain't 2008. The shoe is on the other proverbial foot. I can afford to tell this guy where to go when he calls me back. I would, but he'd post it on the internet and I can't afford that.

• Heather Sullivan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, that's why we wanted to get someone out to take a look and give us a reality check. The house cost under $200k in 2011, and given the location we are not likely to get more than $300k in resale, so while we certainly have money to spend, we're not looking to do anything that is going to cost more than what we spent on the house. This was supposed to be our "starter home" that we were going to do some minor cosmetic updates and sell once kids came along, but here we are 10 years later with no kids and a house we don't really enjoy. Realistically, we don't plan to stay in this area forever, so just want to make it more livable for us for the next 10-15 years.

Regarding "romancing" contractors--I'm not sure what more we can do if they don't return calls/e-mails in the first place. Am I supposed to send flowers or something?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Heather:

Make a strong connection between you and their previous customer that referred you. If the person referring you was the kind of customer they'd like to work with again, they'll be more likely to get in touch.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Start with an architect

Sponsored