Software
Houzz Logo Print
lesawithane

HELP! Furnishing my inky blue room

13 years ago
Ok so we have done many rooms in our 1850s house. I chose this color because it looks beautiful against the brass light fixture, but frankly not a lot of colors look good against mahogany trim. I would like to make this into a warm inviting space to plop down in. Nothing formal-we are a kid, and animal family so each room has to be livable. But I am having the hardest time positioning furniture, picking furniture, and working with the filled in fireplace. I thought white sofa with removable cover-or maybe a velvet blue sofa with eclectic art, a geometric rug..I don't know I cant get it right. The room is huge- the rug in the picture is a 5x7. The room across the entry hall is antique red, white trim and the office behind it is turmeric...so the flow of colors are great but I cant figure out furnishings...PLEASE HELP!

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago
    What is the function of the room? Are there other rooms with similar functions? Tv? Reading?

    You might like slipcovered furniture for easy care with dogs, cats and kids. Surefit makes a nice X-shape throw design for easy washing, check their webpages.
  • 13 years ago
    Excellent ideas! I love the shake of the furnishing you have here-rounded, soft fabrics lots of pillows. I NEVER thought using vermillion...I adore that color!!!!
    Would you suggest the tone of the curtain choices I have-they are a light linen...or should I go accent colors? I will have to make the curtains to get the floor to ceiling length :)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    How about a beautiful red chesterfield sofa? Then a backless chaise where the current small sofa is, then two accent chairs across from the chesterfield? For the faux FP. How about risking bad luck and break mirrors and install a mirror mosaic tile in the center?
    Modern Sofas · More Info
    lesawithane thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Apple-below is the room across the entry hall from the blue, this red room is shared with a large dining room that were divided by a double glass door that was removed.
    So we use the red room for reading, parties, dinner relaxing etc...
  • 13 years ago
    All these amazing ideas! Darzy, what a cool idea!!!! Im not in love with the tables they were a thrift find AND they are only glass not mirror so no bad luck...so would you cut a piece of plywood the side of the table tops and then break adding back the glass?
  • 13 years ago
    I could see this sofa ??? could you
    Modern Green Velvet Sofa · More Info
    lesawithane thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    I also like the red sofa! Backless chaise would work there-what you cant see is another wall as well
  • 13 years ago
    Adding this green is amazing and I never thought of the color...sooo many options in the first ten minutes..oh dear!! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my dilemma!
  • 13 years ago
    what I am noticing in the furniture trend here is the, is it tufting? It looks comfy, soft and interesting
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    For the curtains, I think the tall light linen make the room feel more "formal" (they almost feel like white columns to me). IF you have the time to make new ones, maybe consider a warmer medium tone that is less formal...perhaps let them a bit long to break and slightly puddle at the floor (that's tough with kids, though - I know).
    lesawithane thanked Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Some possible inspiration for you ...

    (would love to see photos of the turmeric room)

    [houzz=
    Our Navy Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Traditional Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Traditional Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Carolyn Miller Interiors · More Info
    ][houzz=
    W Residence · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Living Room with Blue Accent Wall · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    lesawithane...I actually like your thrift glass tables. You can freshen the coffee table/end table with a coat of spray paint. But, I was actually thinking the broken mirror mosaic for the FP box. Cut backer board the exact size of the FP box, then break mirrors and lay on the backer board in your design, then fill with sandless grout. Glue the backer board with construction adhesive into the FP box. Something like this...but I think the mosaic would be more fun, and eclectic.
    Aegean Mirrored Mantel Faade · More Info
    lesawithane thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    But...I do like your mistaken idea of the mirror mosaic for the coffee table! :) But, it would be difficult to make, hiding the rough edges.
    lesawithane thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    I like this area rug for your space. I think picking your sofa first would be best before deciding on the rest.
    Rosa Area Rug · More Info
    lesawithane thanked Darzy
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Just think of the wall color as a neutral, and don't try to match things so closely. Look for some great patterned fabric for Roman Shades at the windows, or add a bright, wide stripe of color to the drapes with ribbon. It can be ironed on if you aren't a handy sewer. A colorful piece of cloth or an old quilt would look nice draped on the dark wing back chair which is receding into the wall. I can't see what is opposite the settee, but from the photo it looks like the room might be long. I might turn the sofa to face the chair along the longer axis of the room. How about putting up a painted firescreen? I see from the fox painting that you might like fun art and that wouldn't be difficult to make yourself. Lay a large natural woven rug under the furniture and top it with the smaller oriental, this will lighten up the floor area more and layering 2 rugs you enlarge the too small rug and better define your space. Keep looking for art you love for the walls and don't be constrained by the trim and wall colors, they can be changed.
    lesawithane thanked KM&M Designs
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Katherine's comment about a ribbon made me think about using one larger curtain panel per window rather than two. It would be less formal and you could tie the panels to one side. You could couple it with shades behind.
    lesawithane thanked Linda Zaff Architecture, P.C.
  • 13 years ago
    I am taking all this advice to heart guys and will start to rethink about my room. I have to say that I was locked into the light fixture thinking I needed to stay a bit more traditional and needed you guys to help knock me out of that box!