Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
falloncrew

Please Help! Grout has stained the porcelain tile

Lori Fallon
4 years ago

Today our contractor was grouting our Novabelle Calacatta Beige tilevwith Laticrete Chestnut Brown grout. Every part of the tile that can in contact with the grout turned a shade resembling a grape juice stain. Any suggestions for fixing these?

Photos attached

Comments (26)

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

The your Novabell tiles come in two finishes: Imperial Silk or Imperial Lappata. You will need to know WHICH ONE you purchased. The Silk appears to be more stain resistant whereas the Lappata has some concerns with staining and etching.

https://www.novabell.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/imperial_en.pdf

You will need to contact your point of sale or the manufacturer directly to find out what can be done for your tiles. And the tile setter will be the one to deal with this...not you. As soon as you touch this yourself, you own the problem.

But first things first: which finish did you purchase?

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s the Lappata

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Thank have a grout rep coming tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Contact the TILE manufacturer...the grout guy is only going to help with the grout...not the staining of the tile. The tile manufacturer is the one you need to consult with regarding 'staining'.

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We have a meeting here at the residence tomorrow at noon with the grout rep, tile rep, contractor and myself. Thank you! Any thoughts for the noon meeting.

This occurred yesterday morning. I’m thankful everyone was able to get here so promptly.

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any suggestions for questions today??

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Following. I’d like to know how this gets resolved. Lori please let us know what the tile manufacturer says as well as the others involved.

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I must honestly say. Both reps from Conestoga Tile & Laticrete were amazing! New tile is being installed in the laundry area.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

That's great! Is it too late to change your grout color selection? I'd need to see more of the other finishes to say what but I'm questioning why such a dark and brownish grout with that tile? Just curious....

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I went with a little lighter this time. A medium brown. I personally don’t like the look of grout over time. This closet is coming from my bedroom that has a dark brown flooring. Here’s a pic from the showroom. Other suggestions??

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m trying to attach pictures.

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would you go lighter??

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My contractor said I can change the grout color. Any thoughts or photos. This is my dream closet with blush colored walls and white built in shaker styles closed cabinets. With this flooring. 😊

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

I would go lighter and less chocolate brown - definitely not white. Look at Laticrete Sterling Silver if your tile is cooler and Hot Cocoa if it's warmer.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

"I must honestly say. Both reps from Conestoga Tile & Laticrete were amazing!"

That's great. What was the outcome regarding staining? Are you going to leave us hanging?

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It came up slightly with the products. However, there still some shading so we’ve decided to replace it.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Way to go Lori! Awesome work. I'm so glad to hear your process (with all the reps) went the way it's supposed to go. As Creative Tile stated earlier, it is nice to see a homeowner following 'procedure' and getting a result like this. Good on you!

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m very pleased. They’ve stood behind their product. Now, for the tear up. It’s going on right now.

Considering changing grout colors. A little gun shy now. 😊

• 1maxwiggins
    3 years ago

Hi Lori I' looking to purchase this same tile. Where is Conestoga Tile located? On the reinstall of the tile did you stay with this same tile and grout? If so, what color grout did you decide to go with? Can you post a photo of the finished product?

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is located in Sterling, VA. I went with a slightly lighter colored grout and love the finished product. Here’s a photo.

• HU-569350922
    2 years ago

Hi Lori, your floors look gorgeous. I want to confirm the color of the tile. It looks like NovaBell Calacatta Beige (Polished). I just want to confirm as the sample I looked at in a tile store in Monroe shows the background color as being more beige than what your floors look like. Your floors look more white which is what I'm looking for. I noticed in the showroom that the polished is more beige background and the matte looks more white. Also, what Laticrete color grout did you go with? BTW, I know a Lori Fallon from CT. I used to work at Laticrete. Her husband and mother-in-law also worked there. Just wondering if it's you.

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi there! I’m from MD. I’ll take a look at the photo from Conestoga Tile. And look in the garage for the grout color.

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s the tile and grout.

• HU-569350922
    2 years ago

Hi Lori, Thank you so very much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

• Lori Fallon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It is beige and not white. My cabinetry may give it more of a white look. I hope it all works out for you.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH