Software
Houzz Logo Print
lori1732

Dining room light + chairs

6 years ago

I know it seems petty to be asking for decorating advice when we're in the midst of a pandemic, but while quarantined I can't help fantasizing about updating my dining room. I need some help and don't know where to start. The light fixture that came with the house is placed too high and seems outdated. We like a contemporary look/scandi, but rarely buy new things so it has to be classic, too. I'm hoping with your designer eyes you all can suggest (with pictures if possible!) something that could work in this space. I'd also love some ideas for the chairs if you're feeling ambitious. Thanks in advance and stay safe.






Comments (14)

  • 6 years ago

    It is going to be a long haul, I think we need things to keep us engaged.

    I like your space, but wonder about the tall chairs. They are very interesting almost Frank Lloyd Wright. I am not sure they are the best fit with the other chairs that I think go better with your table.

    lori1732 thanked houssaon
  • 6 years ago

    There is no time like the present to do some cosmetic changes to your house! You need to stay home anyway and keeping busy with projects helps a lot. It's not that your light is placed too high but that you need a longer hanging rod. Here are some ideas:


    I have no idea how long your hanging rod is but that would help immensely!


    LIVEX LIGHTING 41121-91 Bella Vista 1-Light Pendant Chandelier, Brushed Nickel · More Info


    Generation Lighting 1-Light Chandelier, Brushed Steel · More Info


    lori1732 thanked Bev
  • 6 years ago

    following

    lori1732 thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    6 years ago


    Here is one suggestion.

    lori1732 thanked Norwood Architects
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I don’t think you can go wrong with MCM type pieces



    lori1732 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 6 years ago

    I actually like the tall chairs. They add interest. However, I do think they overpower the end chairs. Do you have more of the end chairs so you can switch them around (I.e. make current end chairs side chairs, two on each side, and put a tall chair at each end)? I also think the tall chairs get lost with the carpet...there’s not enough contrast between the two. You could reupholster them but the chair frame is still too similar with the carpet. A rug would help delineate the objects. I’m not a huge fan of rugs on carpet but carpet in a dining room isn’t practical either, so special circumstances! My last house had the same setup as yours...so I get it.

    lori1732 thanked lindsey_9002
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks everyone, for your comments! Lindsey, I do have more of the end chairs (in storage) and will switch them out as you suggested. I'm going to start perusing etsy and charish for some chandelier ideas and will post some pictures of my favorites. I really appreciate the feedback.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Some lighting ideas:

    Mia Pendant


    Henningsen Pendant


    Nora Pendant


    Your dining table is stunning but is hidden behind those tall chairs and mismatched look. I would do something with a low back and dark to let the table form do all the heavy design appeal.

    Elbow Chair


    lori1732 thanked User
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I think your room could be stellar with a few adjustments.



    lori1732 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 6 years ago

    Oh, Beverly I love that light fixture! Where is it from?

    I've been meaning to get a nice basket for my monster Fiddleleaf fig - this looks great.

    I like the larger artwork, too. Thanks for putting the image together.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Visual comfort Bryant Shaded Chandelier $$$$
    Check Kichler 3 Light chandelier in Olde Bronze less $$ 199




    lori1732 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 6 years ago

    Hi again! I've been trying out some lighting options in Photoshop - please let me know which of these you think would work best (hubby and I have differing opinions...)







  • 6 years ago

    I like your 5th option best with 2 lights in

    the darker color. The table looks so nice with the taller chairs at the ends!

    lori1732 thanked allie506