Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosie357222

Critique this bathroom layout

rosie357222
4 years ago

You guys are great at criticism so let’s hear it for this Master Bath! Bottom right corner of the floor plan. How much do you hate it? Is it the worst thing you’ve ever seen? Is there anything, anything at all, redeeming in this idea?

It is the only floor plan I can come up with that has a shower, tub and separate toilet closet.

Comments (14)

• acm
    4 years ago

Well, it does seem to make a very large space into one where you're going to be fighting the traffic bottleneck in the lower-right corner all the time. Could you maybe do a sliding door on the shower face that's across from the sink?

• Tracy Autry
    4 years ago

I prefer a water closet for privacy.....I like to maintain some mystery in the marriage, even after 29 years. When the time comes, I'll do what needs to be done to assist or be assisted (hospice nurse speaking) but until then, I need a door.

Regarding the layout, I think the wet-room is pretty popular right now, putting the shower and tub together behind glass, to keep the moisture contained so maybe think of turning the tub perpendicular and shower in the same corner with water closet on thg he same wall but turned horizontally? the shower can have a larger footprint.

• suzanne_m
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like it. Here some tweaks I would do:

- Reduce the shower to 4'0" x 5'0". That is still quite big and give an extra 4 to 8 in. in the width of the W/C.

- Add a recessed cabinet to the right of one of your vanity (for towels etc.). The top part could open towards the bathroom while the bottom part could open in the closet to keep your hamper. Swing your closet door the other direction (facing the clothes).

You might want to move your laundry door. I am not sure what is the rectangle to the left of one of the appliance but if you can, I would leave this space empty as it gives some wiggle room to move the appliances if you need service.

One more thing about the laundry: I see that you have shelves or something in the bedroom North of the laundry room. You might consider using that space for a table in the laundry room for folding clothes instead.

It seems that you added windows on the West side. Can you add some on the East side too? Even if it is only one in your W/C for ventilation or just because it would feel more spacious.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

I agree the potty room needs to be wider. If you become disabled—even with something as elemental as a broken leg—there’s not enough room to move around. And if you need to clean behind the toilet or reach for the poop brush thing-y, you’ll smack your head on the wall or smush your nose against the pooper. Right.

A linen closet would be pretty crucial.

Be sure to get the walls blocked in case you need to add grab bars or shelving later. A couple of extra sockets in case you want to hang a towel warmer and a light over the shower if it’s at all closed in.

• carolincarolina
    4 years ago

You might move the master bath door South so the door swings to the wall instead of to the side of the vanity. That would give you room for a proper linen closet in the space across from the shower. You would lose the place where the chair is but no one is ever going to sit there anyway. As an alternative you could move the door 30 inches South, out the linen stack in the corner where it also would block the draft and give some privacy for the soaking tub. You would still have a double vanity and you would get back that narrow space in the closet which is perfect for shoes.
    I agree the WC is too narrow. Steal 4 inches from the shower and put it in the WC. You won’t miss it in the shower but it will make a huge difference if you are ever on a walker. And you would gain space for a dresser in the alcove which gives you more clothes storage.

• suzanne_m
    4 years ago

I like carolincarolina 's suggestion about moving the door South. I prefer one double sink vanity as opposed to two single sink vanities. It gives you a longer continuous counter top and the drawers are wider (that is if you put the two sinks far apart).

It is hard to see the dimensions of your bathroom so I am not sure how long would your vanity be but if you make it a two-sink vanity make sure to keep at least 6'0" (the longer the better). Reduce the width of the linen cabinet if you have to.

The change of location of the bathroom's door also allows you to swing your bedroom door towards the bedroom which makes more sense.

EDIT: The closet door should swing the other direction (towards the clothes)

• rosie357222
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like the idea of moving the door to keep the vanities together. Here’s another option - thoughts?

• suzanne_m
    4 years ago

I like the other one better because you have an easy access to each side of the tub. It makes it easier to clean the floor close to the window.

If the rectangle below the W/C is a linen cabinet, you will not be able to open the doors fully.

• catlady999
    4 years ago

following

• suzanne_m
    4 years ago

I am not crazy about corners in closet (see red circle) but in your case, it would pay off. The vanity I drew is 6'0". It could be longer. There is a cabinet opposite to the shower. I would put a pocket door for your bathroom (and your closet).

I moved the West wall but it could stay where you have it now. It is just that I like more space in front of the vanity (and that space is not that useful in your bedroom anyway).

There is a good space where you hallway closet was. I don't know what you would like to do with it. Storage is always good or you can have doors that would hide a table for folding clothes when you get out of the laundry room.

• suzanne_m
    4 years ago

The measurements are hard to read. Please, could you give us the ones marked with 4 the red lines?

• suzanne_m
    4 years ago

Here is another option. I think each elements are big enough but it is up to you to decide:

Vanity: 6'6" x 2'0"

Cabinet: 1'6" x 2'0"

Shower: 4'8" x 3'7" -- It is smaller but I recommend you put tape on the floor with these measurements. You can have a better feel on how big the shower is.

W/C: 5'0" x 3'6" -- It can be few inches narrower and you can move the West wall a bit to give you more space between the W/C and the tub.

Closet: 7'0" wide -- You lose about 2'0" of hanging space. You have plenty of room to circulate.

All doors are 2'6" except for the shower which is 2'0"

I recommend pocket doors for bathroom, closet and W/C

• suzanne_m
    4 years ago

This might be an option for your laundry room:

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio