Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesstea

Main living room needs help

Jess Tea
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Aloha!!!

Hoping someone can give me a few bright ideas. We have little to no budget. Furniture is mostly Thrift store chic (not shown is that we have all grey slipcovers to create uniformity)

We have had furniture pulled together but my daughter will be having hip surgery and we will need a relatively open format due to mobility concerns and a rather large black service dog.

Any suggestions on how to make this living room better would be greatly appreciated.

Would the tv be better mounted to a different wall?

Would be open to ceiling fans, plants, etc.

Jessica's ideas · More Info

Comments (20)

• misecretary
    4 years ago

Hi Jessica,

I would definitely move the TV to another location. It's too high and I imagine necks begin to hurt if binge watching a TV show. Would you measure out the room size and then post those along with the location of windows and entry/door way into the room? Thanks

Jess Tea thanked misecretary
  • Hansen
    4 years ago

I like the arrangement in the bottom picture. The room seems very dark, I don't know if it is just the photo or if it needs lighter drapes and accessories.

Jess Tea thanked Hansen
  • Jess Tea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Daughter will need clear walkways as she begins recuperation. Remove all loose rugs because they may be a trip-hazard in the beginning. Buy her an adjustable-height hiking stick/cane at Big 5 Sporting Goods ($25?). A used “walker” can often be found at hospital thrift shops. The cane is useful when going up or down steps and general mobility. She may want to have her “own” sofa and a footstool no higher than the sofa seat. Drape a blanket over the back of the sofa for nap time or chilly evenings. Surgery recovery and rehab exercising can be tiring, but it won’t last a long time. She will want to change the position of her leg and hip fairly often, and wearing loose pants or pajamas will help: you or she can help lift the affected leg by using the pants like a sling for changing positions. She will probably have a physical therapist in the home for a while and will then go to a PT center for further rehabilitation. She probably will be given compression stockings and will require assistance putting them on and changing them...they help avoid the formation of blood clots.

Jess Tea thanked felizlady
  • Jess Tea
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We are considering mounting the tv on the wall opposite the fireplace but we will need a relatively open floor plan while my daughter recovers from hip surgery. The blue curtains are necessary as we get wayyy too much sun

• Jess Tea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We rarely use the fireplace at all. I’m thinking of renting a power recliner

• misecretary
    4 years ago

How many people live in your home? Can the two chairs be moved elsewhere while she recuperates? I'm thinking 1 recliner = 2 chairs. OR 1 recliner = 1 sofa. That would really open up the room

• Jess Tea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

it’s 2 people and a service dog.

• misecretary
    4 years ago

Neat. Now you need to decide if you have a place to store the items you're gonna remove from the room during this time.

Try the sofa, centered on the east wall. Move the TV on the opposite wall but no where near as high as it is now, Go for eye level while seated. Then you can angle the recliner on the north east wall, Place the table and lamp between sofa and recliner.

No obstacles whatsoever. Please tell me you can remove the 2nd sofa and the two chairs!! haha

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

Please check with physical therapist before purchasing the power recliner. They may instruct her to use muscles.

• Jess Tea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i have a few weeks to prepare. Thank you

• Jess Tea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The east wall centered is the fireplace. I kinda think itd look kinda weird to block it.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

If that is some kind of heater behind the two chairs, can it be removed during warmer weather? That would be a good wall for the TV. I think you have to eliminate one sofa and then place the remaining sofa and two chairs perpendicular to the fireplace. Sofa at the window side and chairs opposite. I would get rid of the benches or put them under the windows.

• hbeing
    4 years ago

If you don't use the fireplace, how about placing the tv in front of it on a very low stand. Also, are you planning on removing one of the couches? Too crowded.

• hbeing
    4 years ago

Oh yeah, per decoenthusiaste - heater wall for tv; place sofa and 2 chairs facing each other btwn tv and fireplace. voila! room to negotiate room behind them.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Add my vote for deco's suggestion. I was going to suggest the same. Eliminating some furniture will be the best way to keep the space open and accessible.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Form couches in a "L' one couh faces fp. Tv across from fp. Benches at window. One table next to couches.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Very feminine English cottage looks above. I like them but don't think I could live with that many flowers day after day.