Software
Houzz Logo Print
jared_searle

What magic would you create in this kitchen (on a budget)?

6 years ago



These are contractor grade cabinets. The granite is an upgrade. My wife and I do not like the super light, yellowing wood of the cabinets. We can do almost all the work ourselves. I am thinking of upgrading drawer slides, cupboard hinges (to silent). What would you do to make this kitchen "custom"?

Comments (2)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    You could do a lot with the crown molding to do a multi-level design and take it to the ceiling. Check out photos of crown molding with a multi-piece design. The extra piece can be called "valance board," "profiled solid stock," "starter molding," "flat stock," "filler w/ profile edge," or "sub-rail w/ crown."

    The wood appears to be maple which is notorious for yellowing in time. You could also be seeing whatever clear top coat was applied starting to yellow. One of the better brands of products available these days whether painting a color or doing a clear topcoat is Milesi 2K (which stands for two-component) waterborne coatings. You can find out more about where to order that from a guy who hangs out in this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/diycabinetrefinishing -- You'll have to request to join the group, but it will be very worthwhile to learn the ins and outs of repainting your cabinetry if you go that route.

    Another option is refacing which is replacing the doors and drawer fronts and then finishing the frames to match. You can find lots of companies that offer good pricing on this, and the cost of a refacing is much less than buying all new cabinetry. One of the companies I have found to offer very modern door and drawer front designs with state-of-the-art technology is TaylorCraft Cabinet Door Company: https://taylorcraftdoor.com/

    I'm usually in favor of people working with the countertops they already have, but in your case if you have the budget, you might look at a countertop material that is less yellow to take away that yellowish leaning look you aren't liking right now. A tiled backsplash could help transform the space, too, but be aware that if you decide to switch countertops, the backsplash should be selected and installed last.

    You are ambitious to want to replace the hinges and drawer slides. That could involve a lot of trial and error, and I'm not honestly sure it's worth it. Plenty of people who have talked about soft-close hardware on these forums say they could take it or leave it. If you are getting down to that level of work, you might actually think about replacing the cabinetry first and compare the cost and time given that you aren't keen on the finish and look of it anyway. I actually think the cabinets look pretty good for being builder grade.

    Jared Searle thanked Aglitter
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Belaria, some seriously great suggestions. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your ideas elaborate, and send links as well. I will begin studying those suggestions you provided.