Software
Houzz Logo Print
joe_knapp22

Can new seed germinate with Halts?

6 years ago

After spending three days prepping large areas of my lawn for new seed, I seeded and covered with a light amount of topsoil and the mistakenly applied Scotts Turf Builder with Halts instead of Scotts Starter. Will my seed germinate? Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Comments (7)

  • 6 years ago

    Nope! And says so very clearly on the label. All you can do now is wait until late summer or early fall to reseed, which is actually a more suitable time frame for this activity in most of the country.

  • 6 years ago

    Unfortunately, Halts suppresses out grassy weeds. Grassy weeds are also, unfortunately, grasses. So no, it's going to suppress out the seed.

    This can't be flushed out of the soil as pre-emergents bind very strongly. The barrier only breaks with time and bacterial action, so there's simply no easy way to get rid of it that would also preserve the seed.

    Check how much Halts you applied. Overapplication might have also just blocked you out of a late summer seeding as well.

    Underapplication might mean you got lucky and at least some of your seed will still grow.

    Some seed will still sprout. Pre-emergent is a probabilities game, and seeding involves a large amount of seed. Even 99.9% suppression still means some seed sprouts and makes it through the (imperfect, penetrable) barrier. So you'll likely get something.

    But not a vast amount, so I'm not sure I'd bother trying at this point. Let the barrier wear away in time and try again in mid-August if the barrier is gone at that point.

  • 6 years ago

    What if he raked and turned the top one or two inches of soil and then reseeded? Doesn't seem like more than a day's effort and might work, no?

  • 6 years ago

    Reads like he's working with an existing lawn.

  • 6 years ago

    Where do you live and what kind of grass seed did you use?

  • 6 years ago

    So here is what I decided to try. I do not want large ugly bare on my front lawn for the next four months. Since I applied Scotts Sun and Shade seed, then coated it with a thin layer of topsoil and then applied Scotts turf builder with Halts and have NOT watered it, I am trying to scrap off the topsoil and Halts before it soaks in. I am about three quarters done today. So far, I have scraped up most of the seed also but I think i got 95 % of the Halts. I am now reprepping the soil and reseeding. No topsoil this time. Just tamping in the seed with my feet. Almost doing the whole project over, but hopefully the seed will germinate. I live in North New Jersey.

  • 6 years ago

    It's worth a shot! Keep it damp once it does get damp, and remember to keep what sprouts well-watered through summer as spring seedings have lower survival rates the first summer. Feed lightly but often for good spreading of the bluegrasses, but don't feed during the summer (except organically, in which case anything goes--but still, keep it light during summer).