Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Need a low-profile, non-kiddie-style daybed

Sueb20
4 years ago

My home office/craft room also contains a twin bed for occasional guests. (Mostly just my oldest DS who occasionally sleeps over on holidays.) I had intended/hoped for the bed to serve mostly as a "sofa" for me, and I do use it when looking through books, crafting (with a folding table pulled up), etc. Right now it's just a twin mattress on a cheapo black metal frame. It looks pretty institutional. It is against a wall, in a corner. I would really like to find a daybed frame, but I have some restrictions. The wall starts to angle into the room at 30-31" high, so the back of the bed can't be higher than that. Even daybeds that look "low" in photos are taller than that.

So far, this is the only type that works, size-wise.

https://www.pbteen.com/products/store-it-corner-bed-2/?pkey=cheadboard-daybeds&isx=0.0.2047

But to me, it screams "kid's bed". It also kinda screams IKEA to me. I'd love to find something with a little more...style? I will admit that I could use the storage below for books, or baskets containing craft supplies. Maybe if I jazz it up with enough pillows it would look fine, but wonder if any of you have other suggestions.

The other furniture in the room is very Pottery Barn/Ballard Designs. A black PB traditional style desk, a black BD glass-front cabinet, and a black etagere shelf, also BD. Walls are dusty pink. I have always liked black and pink combos and since this is "my" room (although DH and DD are constantly in and out because I have the only printer in the house and don't even get me started on that because this stay at home situation is really really getting on my nerves ok there I said it) I decorated it all for me me me (although: see rant, again).

If I did get the PB Teen model, I think I'd get the gray. Or maybe I should do white to match the trim in the room. What I really want is one of those plush velvet sofa-esque daybeds, but I haven't found one that fits.

So...have you seen any nice low-back daybeds for grownups?

Comments (39)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, so here's an "adult" PB version. I do like the little extra detail.

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/stratton-daybed/?pkey=cbeds-headboards&isx=0.0.831

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

KSWL and I both have that second bed, Sue. I really like it but will one of the ends be against the wall? If only the back is to the wall is not very comfy

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Moxie
    4 years ago

Not the right style, but it has a low back. Charles P. Rogers Alana Daybed

Sueb20 thanked Moxie
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Printers are so cheap. Order them one as a "gift." The cartridges however, don't get me started. In my house you need to convene a tribunal for permission to print in color.

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mtn, yes, it is pushed into a corner. Also, I hear you on the printing. I just this morning lectured both of them, via text, to use the "draft" option when printing because I just had to order ink cartridges yet again.

Bonus on the PB daybed -- delivery is soon. I have no tolerance to wait until June. I could be in an institution by then anyway.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Moxie, you're right, a bit too modern but the size works! This is harder than I imagined. I am thinking the PB one also gives me the option to shop online for a bunch of cool pillows too. And World Market has a gray velvet daybed mattress cover.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

It's funny, Moxie, all those ads worked. I cannot think "daybed" without thinking Charles P Rogers!

• Moxie
    4 years ago

Here's one from Room and Board. High price point, but you have some fabric choices including velvet. Oxford custom pop-up

Sueb20 thanked Moxie
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Moxie, thank you. A bit pricery esp. considering I really do not need a queen size.

Mtn (and kswl if you see this), what are you using for a mattress cover for your daybed? The one I liked at first glance on World Mkt gets lousy reviews. PB has a white one, which isn't very practical esp for the way I'll use it. They also have a beige color which is only slightly better. I guess I could just use a fitted sheet...I just want it to look "neat" not sloppy.

• User
    4 years ago

Sue, we love the Stratton daybeds. They’ve been repurposed in the downstairs family room of our new house on a long wall end to end. They are surprisingly versatile that way.

Just a note—-the bed comes with an alternate mattress of black and white ticking (or at least it did several years ago). It wasn’t advertised on their site but I had just randomly asked if ithe mattress was available in any other fabric. They sent samples of both. The black and white (really more black and cream) would be more in keeping with your color scheme but it was not as soft as the honey cotton. Of course by this time their fabrics may be completely different, but do at least ask about the mattress choices in case they have something to suit you better.

Sueb20 thanked User
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks kswl, I already have a mattress so don't need one. And, I found some pretty decent looking mattress covers on a futon web site!

• Bestyears
    4 years ago

Would this work? I love it's simplicity. Daybed

Sueb20 thanked Bestyears
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Sue, these particular daybeds are made up like twin beds.

However, I also have two grey teak Indonesian day beds from World Market, that are used more like sofas, I have daybed covers in a sort of olive cotton from WM and they have been fine.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

OT, but not really: Try https://www.inkjets.com/ for printer ink cartridges. I get twice the ink for half the price I'd pay at Costco for my 6-year-old $99 Canon wifi printer.

Sueb20 thanked Bunny
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

haha, mtn, I have the same daybed from WM at our beach cottage! I just use a twin sheet there but I just ordered the mattress cover from the futon place and will see how that one is. If I like it, I might get one for the cottage too.

thx Bunny! I think that’s where DH also orders our ink.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Best years — I don’t know, the size of that one could work but it seems so boxy. I probably shouldn’t have even posted this query because I think I found what I’m looking for once I took another look at PB!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, so here's what I've got!

The PB daybed.

Mattress cover in this black and gray fabric.

I already have these shams and quilt. I'll use the shams, and can use the quilt as a throw.

And I ordered this pink and black pillow from Etsy.

I am spending all that money we're saving by not going out to restaurants, concerts, theater...

The good news is that it's inspired me to clean up the room.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

LOL, after looking at your daybeds, I am being tracked in my browser, on my Nextdoor, and even on my phone on Instagram with daybeds!

How do you use your daybed? As a guest bed, or more as like an extra sofa?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Both! Most often just for me, though, sitting down to sort stuff for some kind of craft project or read instructions or whatever. As I said earlier, I also sit there sometimes to do crafts (collage is my latest hobby) with a folding table pulled up. But maybe 3 times a year, someone sleeps there.

If the quarantining goes on much longer, I’ll be spending more and more time there. I need my Alone Time!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Daybed is coming on Sat and of course I had to order a side table/nightstand as well, which is also arriving this week. I’m excited! I’m using an old bedroom lamp on my desk, which really doesn’t work well as a desk lamp, so I’ll put that on the new table next to the bed and look for a new desk lamp...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Love the look. You need at least one more pink pillow though. And a poodle skirt WFH ensemble.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

LOL! One thing leads to another!

• User
    4 years ago

IIRC Sueb coined the phrase “scope creep“ years ago.....plus ça change....🙂

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

It's a project management term from way back.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kswl and mtn, yes, my friend who’s a computer programmer introduced me to that phrase years ago and I only understood it in the realm of home decor and renovations!

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    4 years ago

Sue, I'm curious. What are you going to put in the cubbies?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

One for TP, one for printer cartridges, and one for chocolate.

Actually they are very generous baskets and nicely made IMHO.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LOL! I really did LOL.

I think I’m going to put bed sheets in one of them, and various craft stuff in the others. Maybe yarn/knitting stuff in one.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Finally got my daybed all sorted out. It was too high and odd looking with the regular twin mattress I had, so I ended up buying the mattress that PB sells with the base and it works better. I also bought the round end table from Overstock, a nice bargain. I’m not thrilled with the pattern placement on the Etsy pillows I ordered (in pic) but...whatever. The colors in the pillow fabric pull all the other colors together.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Looks great, SueB20!

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

I can't see the rest of the room, but wouldn't the table make more sense placed at the end of the bed?

• Bestyears
    3 years ago

Oh, what an inviting space. I'd flop down there in a heartbeat.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Love it. We have two in the girls "dorm" in Maine. We are using them as beds with sheets etc so got a normal mattress, though IIRC they are a bit thinner than standard. Been very happy w them except that the mattresses can tend to slip off. Like while one is sleeping. : )

• suero
    3 years ago

Get some Velcro, the kind that comes with a sticky back. Put one side on the bed and the other on the mattress. That should take care of the slippage problem, even for a restless sleeper.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

i thought of that but the kids don't seem to mind much, Sue! Probably only happens when you use a fitted sheet so not a concern for Sue's set up

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Fun — no, because when I sit there, I sit at the window end. Also there is a closet door close to the other end of the bed.

Thanks, all!

• User
    3 years ago

That looks great, Sue! We keep the sheets for those beds in the baskets. A couple of tips... we found that cotton jersey (knitted) sheets fit those French mattresses better than a woven cotton. Also, to keep the mattresses from moving buy one of those waffle type rubber rug pads and cut it to fit the top of the base. It will provide enough grip to keep the mattress in place.

That is a darling little table btw!

Sueb20 thanked User
  • amykath
    3 years ago

It is so charming and cozy! You did a wonderful job. I would love to snuggle in there and read a good book.

Sueb20 thanked amykath