Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sautesmom

Bye bye spring--waaaaaah!

After weeks of delightful 70's and some 80's, NorCal is in its first heatwave. 92 today, high 80s low 90s for at least another week. All my roses are going to fry. Waaah, how I hate what I call "the sweating season." I am going to be sticky from now until October.
I guess I should go cut the roses still unfried for vases and give them to friends.

Carla in Sac

Summer Romance

Comments (12)

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    4 years ago

Carla:

Beautiful photos of a very nice looking rose.

I was surprised by your description of summer weather in Sacramento. I had envisioned comfortable dew points by you in summer. I do see the Wikipedia entry for Sacramento mentions “ very hot, dry summers”, and it mentions the moderating “ delta breeze”. I didn’t find mention of dew point, though. Do you know what is typical for Sacramento in July and August?

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LOL
    A California native, "Dew point" is a phrase I had never heard until I went to visit my cousins in Ohio as a teenager. Where I exclaimed daily: "Ugh, HOW do you people LIVE here? The bugs everywhere, the sweat, no mountain views, ugh."

According to my weather app, dew point right now is 39. I am not what it means exactly, but it just got windy (aka "the delta breeze") as sunset approaches, so we have a break from the heat. Wind coming in from the San Francisco Bay is Sacramento's saving grace in valley heat. Redding, near the Oregon border, does not have that, and they are in the 110s in summer but they DON'T cool off at night, like we do.

But, yes, it's a dry heat, ad they say.
    ;)
    Carla

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    4 years ago

Carla, those blooms are huge! Very nice photos

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Yes someone opened up the oven door and left it ! Lol summer sure is here. When we moved here this time last year it was still cool , and rainy . I wasn’t prepared at all ! It was so hot in Nashville and then we get here and I’m cold with no warm enough clothes , now this spring it’s hot hot hot !!

A little humidity would be nice here to plump the roses so they don’t fry to a crisp. I just realized I need rollers for my tree roses bc they are not happy being baked !

• haku84_zone9
    4 years ago

Welcome to Cali Lilyfinch hehe...the worse is when you get into October and its still 90-100 degrees. I've started watering 2 times a day. Good thing Im home quarantine to water my roses in the heat hehe.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side, but 94 degrees when April isn't even over does not bode so well. I can't tolerate the heat at all any more, and the cool weather last year that Jenna is talking about had me in raptures. On the other hand, not seeing a rose bloom until late May would be a trial.

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

We don't usually get blooms until the last few days of June and the first week of July. But...I don't know how you all can stand the heat. I'd go into a coma for the summer. I do sympathize for you.

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

I didn't say we had cool temps here in late May--we have plenty of 95-105 (and worse) degree weather in our hot dry summers. It just takes longer to get to the heat. In LA and Redondo Beach it never got as hot as it gets here in summer. Diane

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A lot of Inland CA ( San Bernardino and Riverside County) connect to the desert areas of Nevada and Arizona, and have a desert climate that goes along with its location.

In agreement re: CA Dianne. I am a So. CA native, and lived most of my adult life in coastal Southern CA. We did not have air conditioning and there was rarely a need for it ( we just opened the windows). It briefly hit 95 here yesterday and was quite pleasant. It seemed to have the proper amount of humidity to temper the heat. Today, the temperature will hit the high 70's. Come July and August, I will not proclaim "pleasantness", but for now, me and my roses are happy.

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

Lynn, in all the time I lived in California, I never once had air conditioning. My in laws lived in LA for decades and never had AC in their home. I grew up with central AC in Idaho in the 1950s. Very strange. But I agree that inland California is a killer for heat. I am amazed you thought it was pleasant with your 95 degree heat in Texas yesterday. When I last visited Texas (it was a June), I just died from the humidity and heat. And our motel is the only one I've ever stayed in that came with a fly swatter--ha. A few days later on that trip, we hit Louisiana, and it was worse. Water condensation meandered down the dresser mirrors in our next motel room That was a first (and last) for me. Diane

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Diane-

Texas is huge… with its own truly desert area /climate and diverse geographical regions. Where in Texas were you?

Last year, June was humid, but not unbearable. We are at a higher elevation than "Austin", experience slightly cooler temperatures, and definitely less humidity. I was concerned about the humidity levels when we moved here last May. Some people from the dry desert think it is too humid, those from the Deep South often say it is not humid…relatively. Coming from coastal Southern CA, and the desert, most of the time it is just right to us and has been wonderful for our skin, eyes etc.

June will ruin most hairstyles, but none of that wet after drying from a shower, water rolling down a mirror stuff was experienced here compared to what I know happens in places that are "really humid"… (comparatively… this just does not seem to be like that.. (I had to cut a trip to Louisiana short because I could not deal with the heat & humidity).

What I have noticed is as the temperature rises, the humidity levels drop down into the 30% range … so in July and August, it is just hot, but not like the desert…. and last year, more comfortable than there due to lower temperatures and more than negligible humidity levels. It was a breeze… and very easy to acclimate to…. The desert had mid Summer conditions that after living there for numerous years, I never acclimated to. We just stayed indoors blasting the air conditioner there...