Software
Houzz Logo Print
jk_c

Dining/living combo

6 years ago

I have some design questions about my dining/living room combination. My first question is drapery. I have a window in the dining room and a French door in the living room. Should their be draperies on both or only the window. The draperies there now came when we bought the house. I took a picture with and without the French door drapes.

If I were to put draperies on both what height should they be hung. Wall height in dining room is 9ft and living room 8 feet.

Final question,
Any ideas for chandeliers? We are rather casual and this is a ranch style home so so many seem overly fussy. One thing I don’t like is seeing the bare bulbs.

Thanks!

Comments (93)

  • 6 years ago

    I thought this was pretty

    Loveseat

    I like the lucky turquoise color. Out of my price range but it was what I was drawn to.

  • 6 years ago

    So you're looking for a modern style with legs. I'll poke around to see what I can find.

  • 6 years ago

    Sorry, I keep replying to myself. Since the pink marble table is staying maybe pink becomes an accent color. Does that work? The pieces required to stay are the grey recliner with the kid in it, the pink marble table and the credenza. Both the credenza and the pink table are family pieces that I really like.

  • 6 years ago

    Hopefully you'll be keeping the kid along with the recliner. The family pieces are beautiful and you should definitely keep them! If you were to eliminate the other chair, you could put the marble table at the other end and have a bit larger sofa. Green is really pretty with pink or you could go crazy and do a pink sofa, but I'm not sure that's something you could live with for the long term.


  • 6 years ago

    I think I will have to keep pink as the accent. Hubby might object to a full pink couch. I am not quite understanding where the marble table would go? At the other end of the couch by the window? That would work for me. What would go at the end of the credenza?

  • 6 years ago

    I love the look of the pink sofa you found

  • 6 years ago

    Keep the gray recliner where it is. Then put the sofa on the long wall with the table at the other end by the window. I think it would give everything some breathing room. What is the measurement from the arm of the recliner to the window and the width and length of the marble table?

  • 6 years ago

    The total from the chair of the arm to the window is 117” and the table is 20x27”.

  • 6 years ago

    Picture with that change. Kept the kiddo.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I'm sure the kiddo is happy to hear he can stay! You could go to a 70 or 72" sofa, which would be a lot more comfortable for 2 people. My Flexsteel sofa is 70" and it's long enough to stretch out on as well as comfortable enough for 2 people to sit. Once the t.v. leaves the room, you could always add another smaller accent chair where it sits now.

    I like the table on the other end. Everything feels as though it has more breathing room now.

    What do you think of this for your space. Great price, great style, and a little more casual than velvet.

    https://www.article.com/product/3244/sven-aqua-tweed-72-sofa

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Katinparadise! I have been eyeing that Sven couch. It looks so comfortable. I as also looking at the one on Joybird. I was a little worried that this wouldn't be saturated enough of a color and would add another neutral to the room.


    Looking through the pictures on the site it looks like it can either look navy or more aqua. Definitely something to think about. I really like the size of that one as well. I have to admit that the velvet looks so amazing but it is maybe not the best choice. :) The tweed is also cheaper so that is good.

  • 6 years ago

    The tweed puts fits into your budget better. I'm eyeing it myself in the caramel leather for my living room! I don't think you need to worry about it being saturated enough. I didn't notice it mentioned, but I'm sure you can get fabric samples. It's a big piece and a large investment so I don't see anything wrong with keeping it neutral and adding more saturated colors in accessories that are easier and less expensive to change out.

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago

    Would this be absolutely crazy

    https://www.article.com/product/11793/sven-grass-green-72-sofa

    The customer pictures of this color look great. It would take some work to pull a look together but I really like it and it seems like it would go great with pink. It is also over my mental budget but I can probably work around that.




  • 6 years ago

    Something like this for art over the couch.

    Maybe? I know going with a blue is a safer bet.

  • 6 years ago

    I love the green! I wasn't sure you wanted to go there. It should still work with the gray chair. You can use an area rug to tie in both colors.

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks! I am trying to stay away from blue because it is where I lean and so have a lot of it. The green just screams glamour to me but I think I could make it work.

  • 6 years ago

    It is very pretty. If you love it and it works in your budget, go for it! I would definitely see if you can get a fabric sample before you commit though.

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago

    I will check on the fabric sample. There doesn't seem to be a quick and easy way to get it. I am guessing and email or call will do the trick.

  • 6 years ago

    There's a spot under contact us for swatches. They seem to go out right away. I'm going to order one for the leather I like as well.

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago

    Swatches ordered. I used the chat feature.

    I will be back next week sometime with more information. Thanks Kat.


  • 6 years ago

    Mine too! I ordered the aqua tweed as well. I hope you love it! Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Ok, I am back. I got the swatches yesterday. Great service from article. I think you were right the entire time Kat. The tweed is great. I am pretty sure I am getting the tweed 72” couch. The question is, should I get a side chair in pacific to replace the cream club chair to the right of the credenza? The chair can definitely go but maybe there shouldn’t be a chair there. It does get used by the family.

    So tweed sofa and possible chair, the colors do go better than the pictures seem to show.

    And then once this is settled we can go back to the original question of drapes and chandelier 🤣

  • 6 years ago

    If I were to do the two pieces above (and I am still wondering if I can fit the chair instead of the current cream one, if anyone wants to weigh in) anyone have art ideas for above the couch to tie together the pink/blush table and the new couch? Thanks all.

  • 6 years ago

    I'm still waiting on my swatches. I love the Pacific chair! It looks like it would work well with the gray recliner and the tweed sofa fabric.


    What kind of art do you like? I'm an abstract lover but that's me. You may enjoy something else.

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago

    Here are two close ups of the swatches. The color on these change so much. I seem to lean toward botanicals or photography for art. I was wondering is perhaps 4 pieces arranged in a square might give more height due to the high ceiling. Not sure. I like the eucalyptus above but that leans green and pink instead of blue.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Nice combo! How do they look held up to the gray chair? Etsy has some pretty downloadable botanicals that can be printed to different sizes then framed.



    Here's a set of six.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5913455/dining-living-combo#25569742

  • 6 years ago

    I love those. I will have to go look at Etsy. Here are the swatches with the grey chair.

  • 6 years ago

    Glad you like them. They're so delicate and pretty. I'm a sucker for watercolors though. I think everything is going to look great together. I wish they would have a sale! I want the same sofa in the caramel leather!

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Kat, the price on the sofa went up (I think). I thought it was 899 last week but it is now 999. Not totally sure but it is what I remember. It seems that their sales are on some of the less popular colors and discontinued items.

  • 6 years ago

    I'll keep my eye out for a sale. I probably won't be ready until July anyway. I'll have to see the samples first. I'm hoping to do a little local shopping as well now that things are loosening up.

  • 6 years ago

    follow....

  • 6 years ago

    Kat, do you have a link for the set of six? I couldn’t find that one and like the colors. Welcome Diana 😀

  • 6 years ago

    I pulled the trigger. Couch and chair on order.

  • 6 years ago

    Look at this art for over the couch. Absolutely amazing. I keep going back and staring at it. Now I have to decide between totally bold and simple botanicals. Totally different directions.

    Art



  • 6 years ago

    How exciting! How long will it be until they come in?


    Sorry about that! I copied and pasted the wrong link. https://www.etsy.com/listing/673667377/botanical-prints-set-of-6-watercolor?ref=shop_home_active_23&pro=1

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago

    That piece is spectacular! There's quite a difference in feeling though. I would wait until the sofa and chair come in and decide after you see them in the space.

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago

    The couch was back ordered so won't they won't be here until the end of June at the earliest. I can't wait to get them and work on the rest of the room. Since there are no vacations this year, working on making the house pretty.

  • 6 years ago

    That's not too bad. It will be here before you know it. I hear you on vacations. My best friend's daughter is getting married in October in New York state and I'm not even sure if there's going to be a wedding let alone know if we'll be able to go!

    Joanna Cucchi thanked katinparadise
  • 6 years ago

    Definitely waiting on the art. That artist's work is amazing. I am hoping I can find a home for something of his.

  • 6 years ago

    Maybe your master bedroom?

  • 6 years ago

    Maybe, I will have to look. That is a good idea.

  • 6 years ago

    Not a Pro.

    Oh! that art! be still my heart!!!!

    That art would be beautiful. It would make the room.

    Joanna Cucchi thanked njmomma
  • 6 years ago

    Isn't it breathtaking. All of his work is so pretty. I probably can't swing one of his actual paintings but his prints would work for me.

  • 6 years ago

    I love this one too. It is more subtle on the colors but he doesn't have a print of it, just the original.


  • 6 years ago

    That's very pretty. Perhaps you could contact him to see if a print could be made.


    I got my Article samples today. They sent me gray instead of blue! But the leather is yummy.

  • 6 years ago

    Bummer about the sample but I am so glad you like the leather. The samples come pretty quickly so hopefully they can send you another. I ended up really liking the aqua tweed.

  • 6 years ago

    I will try again and order the aqua tweed. It's so hard to gauge the color on the computer monitor.

  • 5 years ago

    It has been about six months and I made some updates to the room. Now that I am ready to make some more I can use some design advice once more. The couch and the blue chair have been added and I am wondering about a rug. I think I would like to tie in the teal blue and pink but am open to ideas.

    Right now I am considering this painting for over the couch

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/755842909/sunset-painting-on-canvas-original-art?ref=shop_home_active_16&frs=1&crt=1

    And perhaps a set of three hexagon shelves over the corner chair.

    Does anyone have any advice. As always, thanks so much.

  • 5 years ago

    A couple of rugs I am considering.

    Rug 1

    Rug 2-Thanks Beverly for finding this one.


    I feel like rug 1 might be too playful for the room and rug 2 might be too dark.

  • 5 years ago

    Rug 2 is gorgeous

    Joanna Cucchi thanked kodiac23