Software
Houzz Logo Print
jayne_watson

Final Kitchen help

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi creative people, I've been working on remodeling my kitchen for over a year. I have been obsessed with "white and wood" style kitchens. I'm about to finally do it and need to make the final decisions

Photo 1 - My mock up, which is a combo of the cabinet maker 3-d rendering, and my pasting of the actual wood tones.

Photo 2 - 3-D rendering of the cabinets in the space (no color represented)

Photo 3 - Me adding color to cabinets, and features to warm it up.

Photo 4 & 5 - Were my inspiration photos.


I could use help with these questions:

1) I have currently selected white cabinets in SW pure white 7005.

2) Are White Kitchens going out? I am starting to want a warmer look. So I changed up some things in Photo 3 (ignore color of backsplash, it's off)

3) Any tips on counter top, back splash, etc to add some warmth and style?

PS - My house is a suburban colonial - I'm shooting for Transitional. Not farmhouse.

I'll add that I live up north, but am from the South. And lean towrds southern design trends, but those aren't shown in my area.


I appreciate any design tips.

Thank You

Jayne







Daniel Island Drive · More Info


Comments (12)

  • 6 years ago

    White kitchens are not going out but it has been very overdone and for a while now there has been a trend back to wood. But it really is a matter of personal taste and choice.






  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    That hood is way too small, and the shape is wrong to be smooshed up against adjacent cabinets. The form itself needs to be larger and to have more negative space around it both. But its already far too dominant. Not in a good way. It would be better to be a reflective metal. Or white. But not wood. The design is too unbalanced and disjointed.

  • 6 years ago

    Styles and trends change all the time. I have had several colorations in the kitchen over the last 34 years in one house: oak cabinets with white Corian counters, oak cabinets with white/gold/black/tan granite counters, white Shaker cabinets with white/green/gray/black granite counters currently after a water leak required major renovation. As long as your kitchen does not clash crazily with your public spaces, I think that you are free to style your kitchen to please yourself.

  • 6 years ago

    @freedomplace1 and @live_wire_oak
    yes Ive been trying to work in some wood on the uppers to warm it up. I really want a wood hood, the problem is I can only fit a 30" range so yes they turn out to be small. The rendering scale of the hood is actually wrong, its been redesigned. but maybe Im forcing it.

  • 6 years ago

    You need a 36” hood over a 30” range with any wood hood. And a hood shaped like that chimney just accentuates how disconnected it is, and how hard it will be able to clean those gaps. If you want to save space, do a boxier hood that connects to the other cabinets at the top, and just has a band of wood around the bottom. Or, eliminate the wall cabinets flanking it do it’s more of a standalone focal point. And then you need ax3rd appearance of wood, to tie it together.


  • 6 years ago

    I don't see much negative space gaps between cabinets and the hood in many photos. I have 84 inches of wall space to work with, not counting the corner cabinet... how much gap do I need?

    Daniel Island Drive · More Info


    Award-winning Kitchen Remodel · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Transitional style gives you a lot of leeway. White is not out for cabinets. Houzz statistics report 25% of kitchens are white. However, rethink your paint choice for cabinets. Stark white is modern. If you want transitional, select a softer white with matte/satin sheen. Shaker style cabinets are very popular now as are traditional cabinet door pulls in rubbed oil bronze or simple bars in satin nickel. For unpainted wood, take color cues from the floor and avoid heavy grain and knotty woods. You have a lot of leeway for lighting, too.

  • 6 years ago

    Consider a white hood with a wood accent and adding some space between the hood and cabinets as in the photo below. The blue is pretty too.

    Brookside Project · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    The wood covered vent in your post is jarring to me and I can’t understand why because wood looks good in inspiration photos. I think it is because those cooktops are much bigger than 30”. In your mock up, the scale is wrong, the hood is too narrow to extend up past the cabinet height, the hood at ceiling is too narrow compared to the bottom width.

  • 6 years ago

    thanks everyone. The hood in my mock up is not to scale - just a cut and pasted picture, and the rendering has a random hood- place holder, i rejected that. so, Trying to figure out what dimensions will work. Wish there was a "formula" to calculate. I might just go with wood trim, as suggested. but didnt want to draw the eye lower away from celing height.

  • 6 years ago

    Maybe some dark pendant lights above your island like the Daniel Island Drive picture above would work to balance the wood hood.