Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitty_fra

driveway placement checklist?

kitty_fra
3 years ago

Maybe I am not finding the right section of the site for these questions.

Are there standard questions to ask about siting a driveway? Even though we've lived in the same house for decades, we've never agreed on where the driveway should be. It is a country place so space is not a problem. It is a small cottage style house with a single attached garage that has been converted to a workshop. The garage is too small for a modern car. The new driveway will be gravel. I love the look of informal edges with plantings with the gravel. I also plan to use ribbon gravel going on back on the property to the sheds.

The home was built in the 1950s with the kitchen on the south. The original single, attached garage is on the north. The original owners came into the house through the only bathroom to the rest of the house. Really a strange set up! Early "mudroom" idea I believe, but that has all been closed off now.

What I am finding is a conflict between having clear views from the front of the house (both curb appeal and looking out at the prairie skylines) and having car parking close enough to the front door that my elderly friends feel welcomed and safe.

I think for my personal parking, I will continue to use the small drive and parking close to the kitchen door on the south side of the house. Currently, this is the only place with gravel, so everyone who visits tries to crowd into that small space and then comes in through my recycle, dog food and trash to get through to the kitchen.

Ideas? Is there a checklist of what to consider when sketching out a new driveway? I have very little money to spend on this. Mostly, I just want to lay gravel in the right places so that later I can add some hardscaping and more landscaping.

Comments (9)