Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_977990435

help! kitchen layout with dead corner

LuAnn
3 years ago

Please give us some pointers as to which is option is best, or suggestions. I’m leaving toward Concept #2 as I think it’s most convenient. I won’t miss the space loss due to dead corner. ( current the pantry cabinets have access to the dead space, I put some stuff there I not even remember what). Thank you all kindly in advance.

Comments (18)

• Lisa Dipiro
    3 years ago

Those can be lazy Susan cabinets or this thing that pulls out just google corner cabinet solutions get tons.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

I’m not a pro but the second layout seems the best. #1 has too many tall things in the corner. Let’s hope a kitchen professional comes on your thread to help.

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

They all need some work.

The dishwasher should be on the other side of the sink so it is not in the prep space between the sink and the oven.

there needs to be counter space next to the fridge so you have a spot to set things down

in concept 2, slide the wall oven towards the bottom so it’s about centered. Put the pantry on the ‘bottom’ next to the wall oven. You will then have counter to The right of the pantry when you’re looking at it, plus counter between the fridge and wall oven. this gives you landing zones for the fridge, oven and pantry.

This assumes the location of the sink, cooktop and fridge are set and can’t be moved.

• debrak_2008
    3 years ago

Can you move the refrigerator on the other side of the dining room opening, on the same wall as the sink? Shift the opening if needed. If this a remodel or new build? Can we see what you have now, and what can't be moved?

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

Each plan has fridge in same spot . Pick the fridge soon so you know how far it projects into floorspace. Skinny pantry only next to it (15 in wide) Then wrap counter , for rest of way into corner and along that long side wall on the right and plumb in a small sink either in that corner or right side wall.... consider a 2nd 18 in dishwasher or single dish drawer over there too . You want more usable counter : it’s gobbled up on the cooktop and window walls w sink etc . Make that long area useful w small sink and more upper and lower cabs which will be good storage w drawers etc . Maybe beautiful glass doors on wall cabs, great tile backsplash etc . Your kitchen is large but each of the wall zones has to be more functional . You have chosen not to remove any walls , not even widen the openings , no island ...,so everything occurs w people standing at wall spaces around the perimeter of closed in space. Each area is a zone and you have to maximize the zones better.

• LuAnn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far. To clarify a few things: I’m working with (now 2nd) kitchen designer. We are still at concept stages so I’m mulling over options. The cooktop is on a peninsula.. and I’m not moving the downdraft cooktop (please no flames). As you see, we currently do have a countertop next to fridge, but I find hard to use as a settle-fridge-food-down space, because the fridge sticks out, door is thick. If I need multiple items, I have to close the door, put it down, reopen. I find it much more convenient to settle stuff down on the counter behind, next to the cooktop, just one step away. It’s counterintuitive, but in my daily usage that little countertop space is not convenient for the fridge, and looks out of place.

The space to the right of the sink is away from most action... foot traffic mostly come from the south opening. So oven is probably the only thing I put there as it’s less used.. but won’t make sense if the microwave combo oven (which is where we are leaning toward MW/convection, + steam/convection combo). I’d much prefer open countertop where I can land kitchen gadgets like blender, rice cooker, egg cooker.

Everything is open to be moved except the sink (facing bay window), and the cooktop location (just don’t go there please :).
    Excellent observation and reminder of the dishwasher! I intended to move to the right side if we have space (the layout from 1st designer was either leave wall oven there, or move pantry there so no space).

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

Get a French door fridge and put it on long wall on right. Maybe cabinet depth. When looking across from dinette put some nice glass doored cabinets on that dining room wall for better visuals . The fridge is the only thing you do not say has to stay as is . You are not moving cooktop or (left side ) kitchen sink , it sounds. Get a new fridge for right side and improve that far dining room wall which is on view .

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

Have you looked at counterdepth fridges?

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Counter-depth--Refrigerators-Appliances/4294857973?goToProdList=true&refinement=2032108662&int_cmp=Refrigerators:C:MajorAppliances:Merch:Counter_Depth_Refrigerators_Visual_Taxonomy

So is the d/w to the right of the sink not an option? This would also allow a corner cabinet.

And when you say you’re working with a kitchen designer, do you mean someone who is independent or someone who works for the cabinet supplier?

Are you keeping the desk workspace you currently have? Is that what the 2 level counter note means in the proposed layouts?

• LuAnn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Fridge is functional so not on high priority right now. Just need to commit to the width and height. We can replace fridge if it’s an eyesore, certainly move it if needed.

Is it generally bad idea to have all the tall things together, then have a nice long contiguous counter top?

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

How old and what type is your fridge?

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

You would generally set your kitchen up in a remodel based on the location that is desired for each appliance. Saying something is “functional “ but that you could move it , if need be doesn’t work when spending the time and money w a designer . You started w issue of dead corners / then telling folks abt how things aren’t going to be moved??? This is an Ikea project w replacement “like for like. “ why use a designer at all? It’s hard to see possibilities sometimes but That’s what planning is for.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    3 years ago

A refrigerator is not a "standard size" item. When one builds cabinets around an existing one, it's not a quick thing to just pop in a new refrigerator. You need to get it "right" now and build cabinets around it properly.

• LuAnn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback.. I’d like to focus on the overall layout of kitchen, vs what type of fridge and it’s dimensions. Once decision made on the layout, we’ll make sure the fridge (new or old) dimension is factored into the cabinet calculation. Again, everything is open to be moved around except sink and cooktop.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

WHERE YOU PUT THE FRIDGE IS A CRITICAL PART OF "OVERALL LAYOUT" . So you must decide the one spot.... NOT "maybe here but then I could CHANGE it if I want." Help the folks here to help you. What is your fridge brand, size and model number?

• LuAnn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So please help me on where to put the fridge, in relation to all the other appliances? I like where it is, but if you experts all think somewhere else is better, I’m all ears. I’m not stuck on leave it at current spot.

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

OP is not currently looking for a to-scale floor plan, she’s looking for advice on where to generally put the main items so she can the go work on the scale floor plan. She’s not saying that she might later on change the location of the fridge, she’s saying that later on she may get a new fridge. If she says the fridge is 36” wide, then go with that. If she gets a built in that accommodates a 36” fridge then it sounds like she knows she will need replace it with that size later on. I’ve done it in my kitchen, it wasn’t a big deal.

my suggestions

Put DW to right of sink. This eliminates the dead corner.

put pantry , oven and MW on wall opposite sink and put counter next to fridge and around corner. This eliminates the other dead corner.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

I’d put it on right wall ...but you have a few options ....all fridges have different dimensions and clearances. Cabinet depth model will be quite different than standard models. It is an issue in regards what depth of pantry or standard cabs / vs. a microwave and oven stack vs. side fridge panels you place on one side or the other. Go fridge shopping and come back w model number and dimensions etc . They will print a spec sheet for you