Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Set up lawn sprinklers to trigger by motion detection?

jaxo
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I need to keep dog walkers from allow their dogs to mark my yard with urine since it’s killing small plants near the curb as well as spots of the lawn.

I have seen dedicated devices such as Scarecrow sprinkler you add to a garden hose.

I don’t want that because it will be an eyesore to have a hose sitting out all the time and it’s likely to overspray too much into the sidewalk and get a passerby soaked.

I’d rather just have my regular lawn sprinklers trigger on for a minute or less whenever anyone walks by my yard. Just the gurgling noises it makes as the sprinklers pressurize before spraying would probably deter an animal. If not, the water will.

Is there anyway to get this set up. Preferably with an ability to set an exclusion period with a timer so when scheduled lawn mowing is done, it doesn’t trigger. For instance if gardening services come every Wednesday morning, it can be set to not activate between 7am and noon on Wednesdays.

Comments (22)

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Did you even read the post? I didn’t say anything about anything being illegal.

It’s not about “stains.” It is killing plants. I have to replace both a plant the soil around it because dog urea has contaminated it and would kill the replacement plant too.

Spots on the lawn aren’t stains, it’s dead grass.

Rude, clueless and distracted dog walkers are letting their dogs repeatedly ”mark” the same spots over and over as their territory and this repeated concentrated urination kills plants. It’s also nasty.

I said I didn’t want a Scarecrow because the pointed stream it makes might overspray into the sidewalk enough to soak a passerby.

My lawn sprinklers has little overspray and won’t soak anyone unless they actually walked onto the lawn. Sprinklers are subject to run at any time.

• sambah006
    3 years ago

I'm not aware of anything, but with some ingenuity off the shelf parts could be cobbled together to make your dream into a reality.

You'll need a motion detector, a relay, wiring, and an electrically operated valve.

Then when the offending parties arrive with their dogs marking territory, and even the old lady and her grand daughters strolling by, the motion detector will be triggered. It's circuit will close, which energizes the relay, which then closes the circuit to the electric valve. Moments later the sprinkler is pressurized and all dogs, dog walkers, and old ladies with granddaughters will be wishing they had stayed home.

So the only question is how many sprinklers are we going to activate? I think you want at least a minimum of 6. I'm thinking the motion detector should be strategically placed. So once it's tripped there's no escaping the sprinkling. Sprinklers activated front, rear, and sides.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m not actually trying to get people wet.

There is delay after activating the sprinklers before any water starts spraying, but you can clearly hear it winding up.

They wont get wet unless they are up in the middle of the lawn and move slowly.

Anyone walking by on the sidewalk won’t get anything on them other some minor overspray on their ankles and whatever the wind blows their way.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The sprinklers are already on a RainBird irrigation timer.

How would I be able to add the motion activated valve without interfering with the regular watering schedule?

If the existing irrigation timer is set to have the valve off at the time motion is detected, would the motion sensor valve even work?

• sambah006
    3 years ago

Relays my friend.

When the timer is in the off position the circuit is open. It would need wired up so when the motion detector is tripped it energizes a relay that will bypass the rain bird to close the circuit.

I'm not at all familiar with the rain bird timer, so I'm not sure what it offers in terms of user mods to bypass anything. Does it have electric valves built into it?

This would be a fun project. It's like a puzzle.

I'm envisioning a 3 position relay. Closed circuit when the timer sends a signal. Closed circuit when the motion detector sends a signal. And an always open position so if there is no signal coming from anything the valve is closed.

You'll have to go on Grainger and start looking at relays.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Since I need this on the front yard, the hose-mounted sprinklers are a bit too aggressive.

Plus, you need to replace batteries, deal with the eyesore and manually turn it off when expecting landscaping service.

Check the video.

On the other hand, having the existing lawn sprinklers activated with be seamless, not change the appearance of the yard and could be managed via some kind of smart app on a schedule (or timer with days of the week) so you don’t need to remember to manually deactivate it on the days of your scheduled lawn and hedge trimming services

The motion detection relay to turn the sprinkler on needs to be able to automatically turn the sprinklers back off after a minute instead of leaving them running indefinitely though.

It also needs to be able to fine tune the detection zone so it picks up people/animals on or at the edge of the lawn, but doesn’t trigger from cars driving by a few feet further out on the other side of the sidewalk.

• sambah006
    3 years ago

Oh shoot, now I want one too! That looks like good time!

• klem1
    3 years ago

Do you understand electric controls and schematics?

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No. I can hire a sprinkler guy and an electrician if I can get all the needed parts for them.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Why do you keep trolling in this thread? You have nothing constructive to say.

What’s wrong with you?

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Your posts are moronic and now you are going on about comparing this to shooting animals with guns now.

Troll somewhere else please.

I clearly said multiple times that I wanted to use the existing sprinklers because there is minimal overspray and will be less aggressive than the portable sprinkler on a hose. It does not shoot water out at people. They also have time to react and step back because it makes noises before any water actually starts flowing.

Turning on the sprinklers with motion sensors will not get any passerby’s any more wet than they would get than if they happened to walk by when they automatically turned on at scheduled run times.

Also, there is no sidewalk. My property goes all the way to the curb.

Dog walkers are walking in the street and letting their dogs walk up on to my property and mark their urine as each neighbors dog is in a literal pissing contest trying to claim it as their territory. One dog pees there, then the next dog tries to pee over the same spot to cover the other dog’s scent.

This kills plants.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Every post you make here is negative and designed for “stirring the pot” to get a reaction. That’s the definition of a troll.

I’m done responding to you.

• klem1
    3 years ago

Since you plan hiring pros to assemble the device,you may as well let them choose components they like working with. The key components used to disable motion triggered sprinklers at a specific day and time are a 24-7 timer coupled with a spdt/no-nc relay. To reduce number of dogs without re-inventing the wheel,simply set that station to run during peak dog walking hours. Meanwhile,squirt ammonia on the curb to discourage exploratory sniffing. Might add a few drops of diesel fuel for a lingering effect. .

• mtvhike
    3 years ago

Jaxo, I can't see negative posts by anyone, maybe they were deleted! I think you have a good idea, but don't know how to help.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The posts I was replying to are gone.

• klem1
    3 years ago

mtvhike,posting then deleting is a gamer trolls play. I wish GW would disable delete/edit after posting. Some forums don't alow delete/edit once posted and it sure make's people tink twice before spouting off. I recconize your handle as a long time user. Does member behavior seem to be worse since the GW days?

• mtvhike
    3 years ago

I think edit should be allowed, but not delete. If someone wants to retract their post, then they can edit it, but the post won't disappear.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

That wouldn't solve the problem. A post could be edited by removing all the text (except a period if the software won't let a blank post be saved).

The person who posted and deleted often posts aggressive and/or disparaging comments. Best to never reply to him/her (or a few others who do that).

• jaxo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think moderators deleted the posts

• sambah006
    3 years ago

The posts weren't bad enough to be deleted by mods. I think the guy was just having a bad day/night/week and was taking it out on you. I envisioned him as the crazy guy you see sitting on the park bench yelling and having an argument with himself.

• HU-122695407
    3 years ago

jaxo, did you ever find something? I was thinking of the exact same thing. I haven't had any luck finding something.