Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cm2529

Help with entryway and living room

cm2529
3 years ago

Hello we are a family of 5. I’ve been stuck on how to furnish/decorate our entryway and living room for 5 years! I think it’s bc they just aren’t “practical” rooms. Ive lived this long without furnishing/decorating them and it’s less crap to clean and worry about! However I think it’s about time we just do it. Can any of you guide me or give me some ideas? The entryway is 100” across. Maybe a bench? I would like stuff that doesn’t get too dirty. It’s hard enough w the dark floors. We are really laid back, so nothing too fancy. Just modern and comfortable. Any ideas for specific pieces and where I can actually get them would be greatly appreciated! And yes, we are on a budget!! Thanks all!! Maybe I can finally do this w your help!!

Comments (11)

• Nancy Walton
    3 years ago

In the entry, I would get a sideboard for under the artwork to put mail, keys, cell phones/charging station or other "stuff" you bring through the door. It doesn't have to be fancy, but some enclosed storage would be good to hid the clutter. I would also put a bench along the side wall for putting on/taking off shoots, boots, etc. It could have an upholstered top, so it wouldn't have too much "wood" in that space. A mirror above it would be good for last-minute checks as you go out the door.

• cm2529
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I didn’t think of that. So a side board and a bench? I was only going to do one or the other not both. But I think that’s a great idea. Also I like the mirror idea too. Thank you!

• Bob z
    3 years ago

Looks perfect the way it is now

• cm2529
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Bob. Yeah that’s my problem. I’m super simple. I kinda like it the way it is. But most people tell me I need something there, under the art. A bench or a sideboard. You don’t think so ? I do like the mirror idea on the empty wall. Just not sure if I actually need something under the art or not.

Also what about the living room? You think it looks ok w just those 2 chairs? Or should I add a sofa as well? Maybe a rug? Thx!

• Jessica P
    3 years ago

Maybe a rug in the living room? But the floors are so pretty!

If you want a bench you could put a pillow on it or something to cozy it up. Benches are good for putting shoes on or laying coats down if that's the front door.

Or maybe a simple console table with like one vase on it toward the side?

But if you like it how it is, you can also leave it! You're the one that lives there 🙂

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I love mirrors in entries and yours would reflect light in there beautifully!

These are nice looking benches, choice of colors:

https://www.polyandbark.com/products/luca-leather-bench?variant=18970265485385

I used the dark blue and cognac, with a round modern-style mirror. Love the simplicity ....

For your living room — is it used much? Kids, guests?

• cm2529
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I love the mirror idea too. And maybe just a simple bench, like the brown one you chose, w a couple pillows on it?

No the living room doesn’t get used much.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

A couple of rug ideas. I think it adds a very nice dimension.

Your doggy is so cute. :)

https://www.cb2.com/alexi-black-jute-rug/f19906

https://www.cb2.com/indira-faded-red-rug/f18105

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

you have a lovely entry and living room. it reminds me of a gallery with the large picture you have in the entry and the shelving with all your pretty objects. that said, I would get a simple leather bench for the entryway and then in the living area you may want to consider a grouping of 4 chairs, a rug and coffee table to make a simple seating grouping. heres a bench, a rug idea, a coffee table and a chair idea too, if you are open to new chairs.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Are your kids and their friends old enough to enjoy a pool table in this room? Maybe foosball and a table for chess, checkers, puzzles, monopoly, scrabble, etc. Could be a fun place to send them to get them out of your hair? You could leave it as is until they're old enough for that.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You have this gorgeous entryway! Simple is one thing, sparse is another. yours is sparse

perfect corner spot for a nice plant in a modern holder. wood base, black or white pot.

I gave you Bali looking console to put under your picture. something w/a carved wood design just fits this home.

if you want a bench, then do a wood slat bench,Or a teak, Bali inspired one. keep the plant

I like your photo on the wall.

if you want to do a console and a mirror, try something like these. (and use the decor items, at least one or two of them too)

as for the living area, those chairs just do not go w/that stunning looking room! If you want simple, then just get a simple sofa, and a few chairs. not heavy stuffed chairs. and have them face the window

I think something low and simple like this, facing the view, a wood coffee table, some greenery, is all you need. You have a beautiful home. Love the display glass wall too

this one has similar shelving.

Just a simple sofa, a small coffee table, maybe a rug, and one or two simple chairs is all you need.