Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

SO much rain! What can I still plant?

My rain gauges tell me we’ve had 13” in the last week and a half.

But I have SO much to do in the garden. I can do it all without stepping on the soil; I have strategic stepping stones placed throughout most of it.

I went to a plant swap a week ago and still have not been able to get half of it planted. I did the bare root perennials right away and they still look awful. I wonder if they’ll even make it.

But with it being so wet, can I even plant anything that’s been potted? They were outside too so sopping wet.

Please tell me if any of these following can go in: or if I need to wait.

Hosta seedlings in 6 packs or 2” pots: culls from crosses a friend gave me. I plan to put them along a path until I see if they grow up to be anything interesting. Some in a new bed that still has wide spaces in between divisions of large hostas.

Dahlias I started indoors: currently 4” to 8” tall.

Dahlia tubers I just bought: sprouted but still in their bags. I was hoping not to have to pot them first, considering they are destined to go in the ground. .

Lily bulbs, spouted in the bag.

I am guessing it’s a bad idea to plant any bulbs or tubers.

Perennials that are potted: Columbines, Forget me nots, dwarf Black eyed Susan, ajuga, Primula, balloon flower, lance-leafed coreopsis.

Tomato plants. Pepper plants.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (9)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, it's nuts. But that's the trend lately. Torrential rains in spring and fall, very little rain in summer.

More rain due for 4 days starting Monday.

• harold100
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Same here with the rain in Virginia. Hurricane season doesn't start until June 1st but this week we had three and a half days of rain from a tropical storm coming up the coast. We got four and a quarter inch of rain. Having to take detours to work through the country because the river flooded part of the highway. I was holding my breath too on some plant damage but everything seems okay. We have had two days of sunny hot weather and now it is thundering this very moment as another storm coming in from the West is supposed to rain all night.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked harold100
  • Sydney (Zone 5B, DSM, Iowa)
    3 years ago

Hi Neighbor! (Des Moines, here.) I feel your pain with the rain. I was able to get my tomatoes planted finally when we had a 1 day break in the rain. I have raised beds and they dried out enough to plant. I planted and split some hostas under a big tree as well and the dirt sticking to my spade was a pain. I have some transplanting to do, but I’m waiting till it’s less muddy out. My “to plant” flowers are sitting on the porch. They were looking pretty mad about being soaked over and over in their tiny pots.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Sydney (Zone 5B, DSM, Iowa)
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I finally was able to work the small seed bed behind my mailbox this morning and sow some Bachelor Buttons.

ETA: oops, BBs are annuals. sorry. : )

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • miles10612
    3 years ago

We also had lots of rain about 5 inches and will get more this week. The extreme heat mid 80’s and humid today is drying out everything in pots. We also had a very dry hot summer last year which meant watering the pots every day and the beds twice a week. Linnea56 where do you in Chicago, my daughter has a condo in the West Loop.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked miles10612
  • steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

I had issues with some Hosta I tried to plant in the rain. Better off potting them and waiting for drier weather. Absolutely crazy weather this year - Freeze followed by flood followed by fire - upper 80s here the past weekend and today. Not great weather to be waiting for Hosta deliveries (or planting). Luckily two shipments made it on Friday/Saturday, but one still in transit after being mailed last Monday. Fingers crossed. I have been using the frost blanket squares I cut to protect from direct sun on my new plantings. Just some plant stakes and clothes pins and viola.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
  • almosthooked zone5
    3 years ago

It has rained a lot in BC Canada this season and much cooler then usual but it is suppose to be hot for next 3 days so weeds should pop up everywhere and the lawn will grow another 3 inches too.. then back to the rains again. Positive is no forest fires

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked almosthooked zone5
  • gawdinfever Z6
    3 years ago

I'm in St. Louis, MO and in the same predicament as you! Please heed gardengal48's advice about ruining the soil structure! Been there, done that! I've potted mine up and keep under eave when it rains. I went a little crazy shopping plants online and sowing my own seed. I had to go out and buy a bunch of long planters as temporary holding for my plants. Easier to move those than individual containers.