Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

A few more starting here

shive
3 years ago

Victorian Garden Heaven's Applause is the second established daylily to start blooming.

Kiss of Paradise had a foursome today.

Facemaker is a new one I got because a friend said it was a great parent for patterns. It came with a scape already up in its shipping box. This ffo was from a couple of days ago. The flower never opened flat that day. I hope subsequent flowers will be better. The bees stole my pollen before I could get to it.

The weather patterns are crazy. Yesterday we were in the 90s, but tomorrow we get another cold front.

Debra

Comments (11)

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Yes, crazy weather and today has been marvelous! Good to see yours starting! It will be interesting to see how Facemaker performs.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

Victoria Garden Heaven's Applause always catches my eye. It's a nice pattern with a very clean petal color. I like patterns but I think many have rather muddy colors. We like Kiss of Paradise and it usually blooms early for us too. We found scapes on it a couple of days ago.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Nice clean pattern on VG Heavens Applause, hope it continues to perform like that. Hope you get some nice babies from Facemaker. The weather has been crazy here too. Record rain for May, had 8” in three days. Temps in the upper 80’s for a few days now, sheesh!

Sherry

• organic_kitten
    3 years ago

So ni8ce to see your season starting out. Kiss of Paradise looks very good and Victorian Garden has a nice crisp pattern.

kay

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

VG Heavens Applauce looks really nice! Good start of FAcemaker too.

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The weather has been crazy. It's rained nearly every day here in May, making it hard to weed and mulch very many of the gardens. And despite all the rain, very few of the early bloomers have good counts. I think it's because of the late freezes.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hoosier Nan - I agree with that many patterned daylilies have muddy petal color. or just plain weird color. Venetian Pools is one that comes to mind. The pattern is extraordinary, but the petal color has those tan undertones. Most of the Pettit patterns have clean petal color, except for Tides Roll In (muddy lavender), which I acquired last year, and at times Cobalt Rings (can look muddy after cool night openings or when water is scarce). I think Rainbow Dragon had the weirdest petal color of any I grew. It photographed much better than it looked in person.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

VGHApplause (that's a long name) has a nice pattern............... I saw a picture of Facemaker that really appealed to me, but it showed the base color as pure white with those maroon markings. Seldom does the white base happen in real life unfortunately. I do like the pattern on it and hope you get something interesting out of it..............Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    3 years ago

Nice group Debra. Patterns always intrigue me. Your multi pic of Kiss of Paradise.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maryl - The petal color on Facemaker is definitely cream and not white. This opening was after a night in the low 60s. I imagine openings in nights in the 70s would yield a lighter petal color.

Debra

• signet_gw(6b)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

VG Heavens Applause is gorgeous. Facemaker is going to be a lovely plant clump size

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting