Software
Houzz Logo Print
julian_avery

In a bind with my organic fertilizer program

6 years ago

My local source for soybean meal was out of stock and unable to get me anything until today.

I usually apply the first round the first week of May but since I was unable to, i'm wondering if I need to do a round of synthetic to get me through until July when I do a synthetic and grub application? I fear that the soybean meal I'd put down today will be too little to late over the next month and I instead need to just do synthetic now and go back to the organic in the fall.

Anyone have any thoughts as to this logic?

Comments (4)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I don't understand why you're mixing it up. Yours is not an organic fertilizer program. I also don't understand why it is so important to apply fertilizer every 6 weeks.

    Where do you live?

    What kind of grass do you have?

  • 6 years ago

    I had exactly the same problem this year. It wasn't a supply problem, but rather that it was not an essential trip and I skipped it (our household is two high-risk people so we're even treating the upcoming Yellow Phase as being Red as much as possible to avoid minor things like 2-3 weeks in the ICU and dying).


    You can use a synthetic feeding applied any time within the next two weeks or so to substitute for your spring feeding. I ended up doing a hybrid feeding--half overpriced organic I had delivered from the Home Depot, half urea I had on-hand.

    In Zone 6A, unless you have a warm-season grass, you won't need a July feeding and, in fact, it's a waste--the grass won't use most of it.

    But save that for Labor Day when the grass roars back to life, unbelievably hungry and ready for an early dinner.

    Likewise, depending on the grub treatment, it might be better applied right now. Things like GrubEx are getting a bit late to apply (I did mine a few weeks ago; it takes ages to work into the soil enough to be useful). Merit wouldn't be applied until and unless you had a problem, which wouldn't be until very late August or September. It works in fast and is gone very fast.

    But it does depend a bit on the grub type. I'm talking about Japanese beetles here as they're my personal nemesis and I've taken it upon myself to wipe out the species as much as I possibly can within my own sphere of influence.

  • 6 years ago

    dchall, i'm mixing it up because my lawn has not had any source of fertilizer since my winterizer and i'm beginning to see signs that it needs a boost.

    Notice how I said "MY" program :)


    Morpheus,

    My normal program with consultation from you many years ago:

    Winterizer early/mid December

    May 1- Soybean meal

    June/July- 21-0-4 w/ .2 Mallet- This was a new addition last year instead of just Grub X, still tinkering with best time to apply. I go this route because of the awful rust I get, you probably recall one of the photos I shared with you, I think even you admitted it was pretty bad.

    August 1- Soybean Meal

    September 1- Alfalfa Meal

    October 1- Soybean Meal


    I'll grab a synthetic to get me through until August and go the Grub X route now perhaps, unless you think the 21-0-4 would suffice? Mainly dealing with June bugs and a few Japanese Beetles.


    Thanks for the help as always.



  • 6 years ago

    I must be getting aged because I have no memory of this. :-) But yes, horrible rust would be the one reason to feed in July and if even I admitted it was that bad, then go ahead and do it. :-)

    The newest GrubEx formula has changed and really should be applied now rather than in July. So that's a change to make. Now you only need to feed in July to get ahead of the rust, and realize that it's simply not doing a vast amount of good other than that.

    If you can't source soy for August, skip it. August is great with organics but shouldn't be done with a synthetic source.

    If you can't source soy for September or October, use synthetic applications instead.


    If you get forced to skip the August application, make doubly sure you winterize with a synthetic when growth stops but the grass is still green, probably in early November. You're going to be on the short side as far as nitrogen levels go, N levels will have been up and down more wildly than they would have been with the organics, and you're going to want to go into winter with better carbohydrate storage than the grass will probably have at that point.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert