Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tara_iden

Horribly Placed Fireplace

Tara Iden
3 years ago

My husband and I just bought our first house. We knew what we were signing up for, in regard to this fireplace, when we bought it-we were able to look past it! Now that our TV is set up in this room, we stare at this fireplace.. every. day. And it’s killing my eye balls!
Any and all help or suggestions are MORE than welcome.
I plan on painting the walls a light grey. And I would be more than willing to take down this closet door.
SOS :)

Comments (65)

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@calidesign i’m glad you said that, the large paint sample you’re referring to is actually that Light Pewter that I was considering. I’ll put that close to the carpet like you said and see how it looks.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

What room is behind the wall behind the tv? Is the wall behind the tv a weight bearing wall. Could it be that the wall behind the tv was added later -- that the fireplace was once in an exterior wall of a larger room? That is the only way the fireplace location even begins to make sense.

That fireplace certainly does not add resale value to your home as is and would not ... ever ... unless, perhaps, you could remove the wall and put the fireplace back in the middle of a larger room

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The Laundry Room is behind the Gas fireplace. We are told that the laundry room has Always been in that location. It could be that the fireplace was put in after the build, but I don’t think so 🤷🏻‍♀️ i’m at a loss for WHY someone would make that decision haha.

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Correction- laundry room is behind the wall, behind the TV.

• oaktonmom
    3 years ago

I don’t see how the fireplace would increase resale value as it’s so awkwardly placed making it difficult to decorate around. I wonder how the previous owners arranged their furnitur.

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The previous owners did not have it arranged well (not being mean) haha but it was nothing to write home about.. unfortunately.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I actually don’t mind some of those paint samples and since you have a beige carpet and a gray sofa you will need to reconcile the two. The lighter blue/ gray colors I think could look quite nice.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

I love a nice fireplace but would seriously consider removing it. It just seems too awkward and insignificant to increase resale value. Agree with painting the closet door the same color as the wall.

• Fori
    3 years ago

Well, do paint out the closet door--all the other doors are white aren't they? It should be trim color or wall color or...ok is there anything special in the closet, like a water heater? It's weird along with the fireplace!

• suezbell
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If ripping out the fireplace is not in your skill set or budget, paint the closet door and its frame the same color as the surrounding wall and then build something useful.

Something like this but with solid doors that cover the fireplace (and perhaps shallow shelves) on the left and deeper shelves on the right where there is no fireplace. Ideally, the cabinet or built ins would cover the hearth.

https://foter.com/kids-corner-bookcase

Or you could make a larger project of it and build a right angled floor to ceiling bookcase in the corner -- (preferably with equal amount of wall covered on both sides/walls but need for width for tv might prohibit that) -- building it the depth of the hearth to have the bookcase cover the hearth. Put doors on the bottom -- fireplace behind one (left) set of doors and shelving behind the other (right) set of doors. Then you could either leave the shelves above open or cover them with glass. The upper shelving need not be as deep as the bottom part that covers the fireplace. The upper shelves could be open or have glass doors.

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=built+in+corner+bookcase&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz2vycpt_pAhXdlHIEHV-dDdwQsAR6BAgBEAE&biw=1366&bih=654#imgrc=6oQkyuMD4W7NIM

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=built+in+corner+bookcase&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz2vycpt_pAhXdlHIEHV-dDdwQsAR6BAgBEAE&biw=1366&bih=654#imgrc=A6fNEp7A7di8rM

https://www.furniturecart.com/catalina-modular-corner-bookcase-wall-cat-450-cnr-bkcs-wall-parker-house.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7KTD_Kff6QIVBoTICh3SBQs_EAkYAiABEgLlJPD_BwE

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/187180928238941300/

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

The obvious and only good option is to remove the fireplace...the question is..when ?...there are lots of good ways to cover it up ....so if there are more pressing improvements i would do them first....and later when you need to add new and more practical flooring ....that way the mess of removing the fireplace and the possibility of complications would be easier to deal with ....

• suezbell
    3 years ago

With the adjoining room being a laundry room, it may well be that the room with the tv was originally larger but the wall behind the tv was added in order to create the laundry room -- and, perhaps, chosen to be used so a gas line intended for a gas fireplace could be used for a gas dryer. IF SO, and

If you don't want to deal with the decision as to whether or not to remove the fireplace at this time, depending, of course, on the space limitations, another way to hide the fireplace could be to remove and rebuild that dividing wall so the fireplace is on the laundry room side of it.

Do post after pics.

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That is a very good point on waiting until we re-do floors. Floor update will probably take place in a year or so. My husband and I looked thru all of these comments and 99% sure we will go about covering it up!! I really appreciate all the help!!
    We’ll probably cover up the closet too so I could then put the TV / stand on an angle in the corner.

We want so badly to have a small Sectional In this room (if we put the tv on angle).
    Thoughts?

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Good idea...that crossed my mind as an idea if you wanted to save the fireplace as well...not that particular fireplace but a nicer new one...

• decormyhomepls
    3 years ago

If I can make another suggestion, first paint your wall white (or a primer white) before putting samples there Otherwise you can’t really tell how the color will truly look. The old wall color will alter it.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

IF you remove the fireplace as a DIY project, first contact the gas company and be sure the gas lines has already been disconnected. Even if you need to pay a charge to have someone check, that is good "insurance" for your home.

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@suezbell, absolutely! We will use a professional :) thank you.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Hope this helps you visualize!

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

What is in the closet? If it's not useable, then you might as well close it off and gain wall space if you are gong to close up the fireplace too. Is that the front door to the right of the TV? I'm not sure a sectional makes sense in the space, but if you have the TV more in the corner, perhaps adding a chair wouldn't crowd the walk-space. You could get a sofa with a left chaise if you are shopping for a new one.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

lynnartist just made your room look SO much nicer! I think I'd take the closet and fireplace out and re-do the wall before the floors, so they won't be damaged later.

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh my gosh, @Lynartist that is amazing. Thank you!!

@Gcubed it is actually a side door. If you’re standing at the back of my current couch, the front door is down a 20’ hallway to the right.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Cold winters there? want to enjoy a fire?

dark door painted [not noticeable] -- neat and trim: tv and petite fire-maker contemporary or farmhouse rustic....photoshop??

gas line moved. [how much compared to removal of bricks, etc.?]

• everdebz
    3 years ago

These days, they hide 'it all' behind the wall ?

Modern Design and Outdoor Living · More Info

• happyleg
    3 years ago

The tv can't stay there where the fp throws heat.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Light up dark corner with new wall's electric/ sconce // or floor lamp.

FORMA Design · More Info

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

The fireplace may be somewhat awkward - but your sofa placement is even more awkward. If your sofa was on the wall facing fireplace and if you hung art over fireplace, plus some kind of chandelier or other nice light fixture where flush mount is in that area, fireplace could look better and you would have a different view of it from across the room.

From an Eastern Feng Shui perspective, your sofa placement is not the best, regardless of fireplace. But with the fireplace in the mix, it just exaggerates the fact that you have your sofa in an awkward position aimed at this huge tv that totally overshadows the fireplace.

You can tear out the fireplace, but that will not correct your furniture placement issue.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

provides 15,000 BTU of heat, enough to heat 600 square feet of space. The fireplace insert is designed as a zero clearance firebox which allows for custom built-in installations making any installation easy.

Duluth Forge Dual Fuel Ventless Gas Fireplace Insert - 15,000 BTU, T-Stat · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/duluth-forge-dual-fuel-ventless-gas-fireplace-insert-15-000-btu-t-stat-prvw-vr~68260336

• everdebz
    3 years ago

30" fireplace expertly installed safely next to tv - custom, on same wall... not done?

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@freedomplace1 again, we just moved in, this is old furniture that we are using until we buy new furniture.
    If we put the couch against the wall, how would we watch tv? That is why i’m looking at getting a sectional sofa.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Without seeing other walls and furniture, we can't advise what you may be able to do here.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

There have been many of these threads--awkwardly place fireplaces-- but sorry I think YOU WIN! If it were mine the closet doors would come off and I would make a book shelf type display area there. The BRASH BRASS has to go and possibly the brick facade. Maybe one of these would make more sense:

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

You may want to share pics of the rest of the room with a measured drawing of the layout for more furniture layout suggestions. I agree the fireplace makes no sense there and therefore adds little value to the house. That said, you've just moved and mention wanting to redo the floors at some point so I suggest you take your time considering actual renovations like removing it. Once we live in a house for a while, we have a better sense of its flow and can consider tweaking a layout if it's not optimal. In the meantime, consider the camouflage suggestions like painting the closet door and the fireplace brass. For the wall colour, I always recommend painting inexpensive art canvases (from the dollar store) to test paint colours. They can be placed and moved around the room(s) so you get to see the colour on different walls at once and close to important elements like flooring, trim or cabinets. Congrats on your new home and good luck with your decisions. Hope you'll share after pics.

• Laura Hill
    3 years ago

As tartanmeup suggests, it would be helpful to share pics/drawing with measurements of the rest of the room. What is on the wall behind sofa/opposite current TV location? Can you flip the seating arrangement to face this wall instead? Then maybe a chair/side table/lamp could turn the area around the fireplace into a small reading nook.

• Anna Devane
    3 years ago

I have to agree the fireplace and closet are awkwardly placed. But not knowing where you live and that you just moved in, be sure that the previous owners didn’t use the fireplace in colder months for supplemental heat. It may be there for a reason. Live through a winter before removing it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Remove it . It is not functional where it is and never will be. I agree if you want one or need one on the same wall as the TV

• Fori
    3 years ago

For now, paint the closet door, paint the room, and angle the TV cabinet in the corner in front of the FP. A room divider--like a shoji screen--can go behind the TV cabinet if needed. You could even get one large enough to cover the closet.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

I personally have never purchased a sectional and never will. They are huge and really need a good sized space to work well. Is your space really big? Plus they are so limiting - both as far as room arrangement and working well with other furniture pieces.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I would make it a corner fireplace with the tv above it. Turn the closet into a built piece.

Good luck!

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I've had tv positioned in less than ideal.... but the fp corner could be cozy, with swivel chair to see tv [or the fire].... change the brick to blend more [with I guess wall and carpet]. Or chair, art over fp.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/HomePop-Modern-Swoop-Accent-Chair-Blue-Plaid/18152785/product.html?refccid=BH7GLOWAJW6YL3KMAEC3WZVZCI&searchidx=126&option=30293554&kwds=&rfmt=chair%20type%3AAccent%20Chairs%7Cprice%3A200

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Just noticed a ceiling light in a place that could swag to center of fp....or not.

• happyleg
    3 years ago

What Debbie said and the couch at the wall

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Cold winters, keep it.... make more a feature, a style that appeals. Here's a boxy look - complement your new things?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Like Debbi, here's built up fp mantel, hearth and built in bench- Separate from other seating, but supplements -- bench or small-ish chair...

Color Design-beachy bungalow · More Info

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ignore the paint samples on the walls
    I have re-arranged the furniture and for the time being, covered up the fireplace by putting the tv on an angle. Still need a different couch (perhaps one with a chaise) and an accent chair perhaps.

• User
    3 years ago

hey, that looks much better!

once you choose a new wall color: what if you painted the whole fireplace the same? that will help it blend behind the TV. maybe even paint the closet door grey. if you don't like it, you can always pain them white.

are you planning on having the closet and fireplace removed or moved one day?

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@B F I will definitely paint the closet door once I choose a wall color. And eventually I will remove fireplace and closet all together. For now, covering it will work 😊

• User
    3 years ago

that's a great solution to hold you over until the work can be done. I bet you'll notice less and less as you work on organizing the rest of your house.

when you're ready for reno, if you don't need the closet space indoors, you could drywall over it and have an opening added facing your patio. use it to store outdoor stuff. depending on the layout of your patio, you might be able to add an outdoor gas fireplace or BBQ in that area (and close off the inside portion).

• Tara Iden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My brother actually suggested the same thing- essentially turning the fireplace around to have an outdoor fireplace.
    Good thought for the future!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Like that idea but a 2 way fireplace the view it from both ARE AS