Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia_blancobullard

Bare kitchen wall needs some love

I’ve been wanting to do something with the bare wall across from the refrigerator but I’m not sure what. Top half is about 4 ft wide and bottom half is 6.5 ft wide. Should I...

1. Cover the bottom half with subway tile to match the backsplash above counters?
  2. Large clock?
  3. Hanging plants?
  4. Something different?

I think because the bottom half is wider than the top it makes it more challenging.

Comments (24)

• Melissa R
    3 years ago

nice big piece of art on the upper and ignore the bottom part

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Agree with Melissa. No need for anything on the lower part.

• Julia Blanco Bullard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What kind of art looks nice in the kitchen?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

What's tripping me up is the wood pencil trim on the corners of the drywall. Can that be removed? Seems weird to have a contrasting paint color on the edges for no apparent reason. I'd also move the light switches if you can to a less conspicuous place.

In any event, yes, a large vertically oriented piece of art would be nice.

• User
    3 years ago

I echo a big piece of art and that's all.

• lkloes
    3 years ago

No tile and definitely paint that trim the same color as the wall if you can’t remove it.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

To answer your question about type of art, I'd suggest a fun French or Italian poster, like these:

Absinthe J. Edouard Pernot - Gallery Wrapped Canvas Art 28" x 42" · More Info

Scal Marguerite Deval - Gallery Wrapped Canvas Art 28" x 42" · More Info

These always look great in the kitchen!

• M Miller
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Agree with the others about a piece of art. You can get all sorts of posters online. Your kitchen could use some color, so don't get art that is gray and/or black and white. Maybe a vintage-y look with food theme poster if that appeals - could be a fun one or a more artistic one.

Try to get something colorful - there is a reason why restaurants often have red interiors. Some color adds excitement, brightness, and visual stimulation which sparks the appetite.

Also--no large clock, or large fork and spoon, or Word Art (i.e. no sign that says "eat" or "kitchen" or "coffee"), nope.

This artist recently sold a different cake painting for $8.5 million, and was featured on 60 Minutes. 😀

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

if she paints that trim, where do you start and stop with the dental trim detail. .. and the white shelf top?

• lkloes
    3 years ago

Paint anything that looks like part of the wall the color of the wall and leave the dentil molding, baseboards, etc. white.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

• Julia Blanco Bullard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions!

I’m not sure why the trim was added on the edges, but I’m worried that removing it will be a bigger project than I can handle.

I also really like this look. Do you think one rod with plants would look good under a piece of art?

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Herbs need full sun, so unless you're planning to switch out the plants every couple of weeks, stick with a large piece of artwork instead. Use art with greenery like RL Relocation suggested.

• lkloes
    3 years ago

How wide is the space between the island and that wall? You wouldn’t want anyone banging into anything that sticks out so I’d skip the rod and plants. If you can’t remove the trim, paint it the color of the wall. It will practically disappear and the eye will be drawn to whatever art you decide on. Nice kitchen, by the way!

• Louise Smith
    3 years ago

I assume the pencil trim started on the side to match the crown molding. Then they had to do the kitchen side because otherwise it looked strange to only have one side with the trim, and so on.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Consider wainscoting the bottom few feet and paint an accent wall or add wallpaper above that.

• Melissa R
    3 years ago

• Melissa R
    3 years ago

I like fun art and I think the frog above looks great! I wanted to see what Tony Tiger looked like

I think the frog is the best so far

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

In any event, lower the pendants. You might consider larger ones also.

• remodeling1840
    3 years ago

Don’t remove the trim, simply paint it the wall color.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

I notice the trim is also around the door frame. So....don’t paint it. Just ignore it. Once you put up art, you won’t even notice it. Less, in this case, is more!

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Painting the outlet covers on that wall the same as the wall will help.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

I am laughing out loud at the bird print Melissa posted. The frog is cute, but I love the bold colors and whimsy of the bird.

I think that any art that works in the public areas of your house works in the kitchen; choose what you like. But food or drink themed art is particularly popular for kitchens.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Lutron makes a lot of faceplates in many colors you could probably get something closer to the wall color ... i would consider removing the phone jack one day..