janmarta

Rooting citrus cuttings in a hydroponic setup

Jan
last month

Hi all! I’ve been trying to root lemon cuttings for a while now and it always seems to rot on me or it takes forever to slowly die and do nothing For 6 months or more. So since I have an aerogarden I tried to root them in there and lo and behold 2 out of 3 has rooted and it’s only been two and a half weeks in! it’s a variegated pink lemon and I put some rooting powder on the tips of the cuttings and just stuck them in the peat pucks and left them in there! I did not scrape off the cambium layers or anything fancy. Took a photo of one of them the roots are tiny tiny tiny but I’m ecstatic that it grew at all :) so to anyone interested I figured it might be an interesting thread! Has anyone else tried This method?

The tiny root is halfway into the peat puck The second cutting has pretty much the same root. The third cutting I suppose I’ll wait it out some more and cross my fingers!

Comments (13)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    last month

Jan, look at that! I am happy for you and hello))0 Be safe and keep us posted..

Mike

• Jan
    Original Author
    last month

Hi mike!!! There you are glad to hear from you :) stay safe! I definitely will keep everyone posted!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    last month
    last modified: last month

Yay!

I've found lemons to be among the easiest of the citrus to root. And I've had best success in summer when the temps are warm to hot. I just put them in a clear-ish plastic container (with lid) with a mixture of potting soil and perlite. I do use hormone. Set it outside under a shrub for dappled light. Usually they root within 6 weeks. This is when our daytime highs are in upper 80ºs to 90ºsF. Night time temps in 60ºs or higher.

I take 6 to 8" cuttings of angular growth (usually last season's) and reduce leaves to 2 or 3 and even those, I will cut in half to reduce transpiration.

But if you've found a system that works, that's great!

Jan thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • Jan
    Original Author
    last month

Dave that’s what I’ve heard too from others who start lemon cuttings but for some reason I’ve had terrible luck with them but I live in a very mild climate and our summers are very cool so perhaps that’s what it is! like this month so far things are staying around 60 degrees in the afternoon and even cooler at night! But next time we get a heat wave you bet I’ll be trying your method :)

• Jan
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Just an update a little under one month in! Both have grown multiple roots but the third cutting I’m still waiting on maybe it’s just taking a bit longer. Should I up pot it into soil now?

28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

I'd likely carefully pot it up and put a small baggie around the entire plant if it has leaves. But heck, it may just keep growing hydroponically for a while. Is it getting nutrients? Is it putting out new growth? I don't know enough about your setup and I can't see the entire plant.

• Jan
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Dave one does have a few new light green leaves at the top and the other one just has one small blossom and no new growth! And it’s holding onto one old leaf that’s been cut in half. It’s getting the aerogarden nutrients one capful. But I’m sure it’s not enough since it’s meant for greens and herbs and such. one of them has super long roots the other has a few very short roots so maybe I should pot Up the one with the long roots and try to put it slowly into full sun?

28 days ago

Would not put in any sun yet.

• Jan
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Ok got it! I just potted one of them in a small clay pot with some promix and put it in shade outside! Crossing my fingers :)

28 days ago

Super! Now you know you can go into full-time citrus production! ...and share with all your friends! Next I want to see if you can root mandarins as easily....Your next assignment. LOL!

Jan thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    27 days ago

Dave, lol, good one_))

Jan. NICE JOB..Proud of you and many hugs from this side of the pond))

Mike

Jan thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • Jan
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Lol Dave!! It’s funny you mentioned that just the other day someone walking past our house saw a lineup of citrus right outside our garage and asked us if we were selling them!! I’m on it Dave!!! :)

mike!! so glad to hear from you again :) hugs!!

27 days ago

Jan, we had a yard sale many years ago. I set out a half dozen rooted plumeria cuttings and they were the first to go!

Sponsored
20 Years of Interior Design & Decorating Experience in Loudoun County