Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janaina_hy

Cats and flowers

My cat knows the best spots in the house. I don’t think he will never betray me, going to my neighbors’ house lol

Comments (23)

• pippacovalent
    3 years ago

Haha...love this.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

What is the beautiful rose? The cat is pretty cute, too. Diane

Janaina (Zone 6B - Maryland) thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Oh my heavens...you're a master rose grower!!! I'm in awe!! And what a fun place for a cat to hide!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    3 years ago

So beautiful...🌿💕🌿 Helen

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    3 years ago

Wonderful pic, belongs on both a Kitty calendar and a rose calendar !

• Janaina (Zone 6B - Maryland)
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield its LandLust Kordes. The flowers last for days in perfect condition and the colors doesn’t fade away under the afternoon sun. It’s such a perfect, cheerful, healthy plant. It doesn’t have any fragrance though

Original Author
    3 years ago

@rosecanadian @BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) I found him in the dumpster in NYC. So happy I brought him home. I love to watch him hopping around outside. He is very happy here hunting flies. Lol. He keeps the bunnies away as well. He is better than my dog in this aspect. I can’t imagine a garden without a cat now. Very cute.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Thanks, Janaina. LandLust is such a lovely rose that it certainly should have a prettier name. I will check it out because it's new to me. How wonderful that you rescued your kitty--it's a win-win for you both. We have two kitties, and I agree they are very useful in a garden as long as they don't use my raised bed as a "facility"--ha. But they are great at vole patrol. Ours are allowed outside under supervision, but they never wander, which is a good thing with a desert full of coyotes all around us. Diane

• sharon2079
    3 years ago

I love both your kitty and your rose. I grew up on a farm and all of my cats and kittens were outside "barn" cats.... unless of course I snuck one in every once in awhile but my rear hurts just thinking about it.... now living in a town with traffic and people who poison cats (yes they do that it my neighborhood) my kitties are inside cats..... anyway my kitty thinks he is a vegetarian... he does eat his cat food, not people food unless you are having a salad, and of course my ROSES.... When I bring my roses inside, I cut them at the kitchen sink. He stands on his hind feet to try and get any that he can reach off the counter.... and once I place them in a vase, he thinks it is his special "kitty treat" and starts munching.... your kitty seems to allow you to enjoy the flowers as a whole flower instead of something that has been browsed.

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

I bet whoever bred this rose would enjoy this picture. I like how you let it drape.

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago

Aww, what a cute little fella! It was so sweet of you to give him a good home. Cats are just the best little buddies ever! Your rose is lovely too, I love the way it is spilling over the bench! And the color is stunning! This is my little buddy, Marmalade. He is sitting under my "Candy Land" rose. Cats certainly do know the best spots in the house. Marmalade stole my dad's favorite chair!

Have a nice evening,

damask_rose : )

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Janaina - you found your cat in a dumpster? What a hero you are for rescuing this sweet kitty!!!

Sharon - your cat eats your roses...oh dear. :)

Damask_rose - awwww...your kitty is cute too! And I love your Candy Land! What a beautiful stripey!

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago

That first picture would be excellent framed. You think the focal point is the beautiful roses. Then, surprise, you see the cat. Love it!

• sharon2079
    3 years ago

damask_rose, Marmalade is a great name for an orange kitty.

Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve been busy trying to get my 6 years old daughter to play outside on a sunny day and just now I got to see all the lovely messages. @sharon2079 @Diane Brakefield I found him in a dumpster behind Green Wood cemetery in Brooklyn. My cat is a 100% mutt and he is very proud of it. He would never accept being locked up at home LOL. He loves to wonder in my neighbor‘s backyard, but I noticed he is staying more in our property lately. My neighbors are very sweet, gentle souls. Funny story; couple weeks ago, someone knock at my door and introduced herself as my neighbor from the street behind, and said “ Hey, just let you know, your cat spend at least 2 hours in my backyard playing with my cat every afternoon. If you don’t find him, he is probably with me”. At first I thought she was angry, but quite the opposite. @sharon2079 Its horrible to know even nowadays people abuse animals. I can’t kill a bug. Earlier spring, my husband trapped a raccoon and a groundhog that were really destroying things around here and yet, we drove 16 miles to Camp David to let them go. I am very compassionate about animals. @damask_rose_zone9b i just planted a Candy Land Rose. I’m really looking foward to see that rose filling the space up on my driveway. Marmalade is a very cute name indeed. It’s a very popular desert in South America. My father would have it for desert every weekend with white cheese and coffee

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

That's sweet that your cat has a good pal. :)

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

:-) Who's the bunny behind the roses??

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone!

Marmalade is flattered! My sister suggested the name and we all agreed that it fit him perfectly. Marmalade is sweet, old-fashioned, orange, and a little bit chunky, just like my little buddy. My cat is 100% mutt (or moggie as they would say in Britain) just like the cutie in Janaina’s pictures, and boy is he proud of it. He acts like the king of the castle.

I really love “Candy Land.” It is a great rose all-around; loads gorgeous cream and pink striped flowers, wonderful scent, shade tolerant, beautiful, glossy, disease-resistant foliage, and the bees and butterflies go crazy for it. It’s one of my favorites if not my favorite. I hope it blooms beautifully for you Janaina.

Have a wonderful evening everyone,

damask_rose : )

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

damask - Your Candy Land picture is perfection!! I don't think a rose can look prettier than that! Awesome Blossom!! I can't leave here...I keep going back up for another look at it....it's THAT good!!!

• Austin
    3 years ago

Janaina that great picture makes me want to move to Maryland.... and get a cat.

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago

Thank you so much rosecanadian!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Damask - I still can't stop looking at it!! Incredible!!!