Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moliep

Is my Gertrude Jekyll dying?

moliep
3 years ago

Gertrude Jekyll has been growing with no fertilizing or spraying since she was put in in the spring of 2019. She grows in full sun and in great soil that has been enriched with compost over the 17 years that we’ve lived here in southern CT.

When we purchased GJ, the worker at the garden center said to trim her stems after GJ flowers if we wanted her to remain bushy. She also said that when she cuts the stems back, she hits the ends with a drop of crazy glue to seal them. I’ve never heard of that technique! Do any of you do that? I didn’t. We wanted to see what she would do on her own.

Some of you may recall that I asked for advice when her canes became so long last year … as tall as I am. The suggestions were to peg her along the fence. I did that early this year when the canes could reach the fence behind her. This year GJ started out beautifully in the the warm weather with canes full of green leaves and buds all along them. Both her flowers and leaves were luxurious in early June.

But suddenly GJ started looking awful! The leaves are yellowing and have holes in them.

Some of the new flower buds have just collapsed and fallen over at the ends of their stems, like the middle of the next photo.

Many of the longer canes are bare of leaves and/or all yellow at the ends. Some of canes have browned and died completely, mostly the ones inside.

Any suggestions as to what went wrong? I want to save this beautiful rose.

Thanks,

Molie

Comments (12)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I hope someone nearby can help you. One picture looks like BS, but it looks like it wants water. Do you have drip irrigation?

moliep thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Vapor, I was thinking the same thing, but wanted confirmation from a fellow forum member. The first photo shows black spot; the soil around the rose looks very dry, I agree. Diane

moliep thanked Diane Brakefield
  • moliep
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your comments, Vaporvac & Diane! I'll investigate the BS. Maybe Neem oil would help with this?

I think you are on target with the watering issue ... that GJ is getting the wrong kind of watering now! We did have a drip system that went all the way down the long garden. In May husband redid the irrigation system. Our long garden runs about 60 fee & he felt the length was too much for the water pressure. So he took out the "drips" and redid the whole system. Now it sprays from the lawn into the garden. Could that change have contributed to the BS?

Thanks to your comments, I started watering GJ with a slow drip from a garden hose at her base.

Molie

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    3 years ago

Blackspot pressure in New England is very, very high, and Austin roses are not particularly blackspot resistant. Often roses, particularly first roses, do fine their first year or two, then reality strikes. Organic mixes, with the exception of sulfur, aren't up to the challenge, and sulfur requires almost constant spraying.

moliep thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • moliep
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for this, Mad-gallica. I will work to keep her going because I love gardening. But the bottom line is ... I'm a retired and very busy grandma and an activist, so plants do need the will to live to last in my gardens. I'll keep my eye open for Reality, should she decide to strike.

Molie

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I'm sure the spray on the lower leaves from the lawn didn't help with the BS.

moliep thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    3 years ago

There are studies that say that water spraying has the effect of washing the spores off.

There are many roses that don't require chemical support in the northeast. However, except for Knock Outs and their kin, they are difficult to find at local garden centers. Rugosas, for example, sell out around here within a week of arriving.

moliep thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Molie try pruning off any canes that are actually dead and after making sure she is getting a good drink of water. Then try

Specially if you don’t have hundreds of roses spraying that one shouldn’t take too much time/work and you will love the results. Most older Austins need regular spraying in the type of black spot pressure you have and none of the “organic” solutions are as long lasting or effective. I have not tried the sulfur, but neem does not work here for blackspot.

moliep thanked dianela7analabama
  • moliep
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dianela, mad_gallica and Vaporac, you all gave me advice that I'll share with my hubby and put to works.

I'm not familiar w/Disease Control and will look that up to see how it is around birds, butterflies, and wildlife because my husband attracts them all to our yard.

We did have Rugosas a long time ago but I pulled the m out because, not surprisingly, they exploded in our yard. We live on a tidal river very close to Long Island Sound.

As for the low spraying, maybe the watering needs to be done early in the say so it dries.

Thanks everyone!

• Alan Cushing
    3 years ago

Hi,

My 2 cents here. GJ does put on a lot of growth after its June flush of flowers. I had one at a previous house and it got a little of BS but so did most of my roses. I try not to water them late in the day, preferably morning so they are dry by evening. I now have one supplied with drip lines and the leaves are clean. In a book by David Austin maybe 10 years ago, he listed GJ as one of his most fragrant roses and I love it. If it gets spray-watered, put a vertical-sided glass next to it before the next watering. Then check afterwards how much was in the glass. Should get 1 inch of water a week. Good Luck with it.

moliep thanked Alan Cushing
  • moliep
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for this information and he "tip" about the glass.