Software
Houzz Logo Print
riverrat1

Searching for shelf liner is like researching windows

6 years ago

Wow! I've read many of the post on this topic and I'm glazed over.


Cushy Cuboards was a good one but I can't seem to locate this product anywhere.

I'm not sure I want the ridges in some shelf liners. I'm looking for a cushy soft surface for the interior of cabinets. Just for the cabinets that have glass wear and dishes. Also, for pantry shelving for can goods.


Does anyone have a great experience with any of the soft surface liners? Also, where do you purchase?


Comments (14)

  • 6 years ago

    I had soft, but it was soft enough that if you needed to slide something over just a skosh, it would move but might fall over instead, taking the next glass or two with it. I replaced it with plain, smooth, shelf paper, kind of semi-gloss. nothing chips, and it’s not loud when you set a glass on it.

    Ribbed, IMO, is for cabinets where something gooey might spill or drip, like the laundry cupboard or under the sink.

    riverrat1 thanked bpath
  • 6 years ago

    I use the ribbed liner in my drawers that hold my dishes. I had dowels between the stacks of plates and found that it was difficult to remove the last few plates from the pile without hitting the dowel. I removed all the dowels and put in ribbed shelf liner. No more problem with chipped dishes. The dishes stay in place even when the door is yanked open by an impatient teen.

    riverrat1 thanked Louise Smith
  • 6 years ago

    Amazon has a good selection of shelf liners.

    riverrat1 thanked sheepla
  • 6 years ago

    I have soft, cushion-y liner in most of my cabinets. I'm pretty sure I bought the stuff at Walmart, but we've been in this house 20 years, so I don't remember the name brand. I still love the pattern, which is super close to my dishes. The stuff is still in good condition -- even under the sink, where I had a leak, I wiped it off and put it right back into the cabinet. I like that

    On the other hand, I have clear ribbed stuff in one cabinet -- the cabinet where I keep my drinking glasses. Why do I have something different? When I moved in, ONE roll of ribbed liner (brand new) was in the cabinet, and I used it. I kinda like it for drinking glassware because I set them upside down, and I like that any bitty-bit of water that's left from washing the glasses isn't trapped.

    Overall, I prefer the soft cushion-y stuff.

    riverrat1 thanked Mrs Pete
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you everyone. Reading the responses helped me understand that I’ll probably need 2 different types of liner. I’ve only used liner once in my life and that was 25 years ago.

  • 6 years ago

    In our last couple of kitchens, I've bought a big roll of cork and used a metal square and a utility knife to cut it to fit drawers and cabinets. It's soft and resilient, durable, stays put with no adhesive or residue, and, IMHO, looks nice.

  • 6 years ago

    I used Rubbermaid's clear liner with an embossed diamond pattern, available at Costco.

    riverrat1 thanked jkm6712
  • 6 years ago

    I like using soft vinyl flooring in some of my cabinets. Specifically, below kitchen, laundry and bathroom vanity sinks, and my broom closet. Also, on lower cabinets where I keep heavier items.

    For example, Armstrong CushionStep or Mannington Platinum. (Beware, cheaper floors may have some off gassing.)

  • 6 years ago

    I bought yards of fabric used for vinyl table cloths and cut it to fit my pantry shelves and some cabinets. It's not quite as cushy as the ribbed liners, but it works for me. I'm not of fan of the ribbed liners.

  • 6 years ago

    I did like avatar Walt and used cork. It’s lasted 20 years.

  • 6 years ago

    I sanded, primed and repainted the inside of my old cabinets, and they are so much cleaner looking, and undated. I had pulled up all the old yucky vinyl lining previous to the job. I found and bought clear ribbed liners-home depot had them and one other place, so-readily available. I think came in different widths, anyway I liked them cause I could cut them perfectly to fit, and the ribbing actually helped with that. I think it looks really great. Easy to wipe clean if one had to also.

  • 6 years ago

    We used Pioneer Woman’s (bought at Walmart but can also be found on Amazon) last year for our new cabinets throughout the house. I love it. It’s non-adhesive and slightly cushioned. We used these two prints, but there are quite a few others.

  • 6 years ago

    Good morning riverat1. You had commented and inquired about the name of the color of wood on my community discussion board 7 days ago. Thank you! Color name: Colonial America. That is the one I chose and LOVE it. My floors are 3 1/4" planks in the hallways, family room and kitchen. Classic herringbone in living room and dining room.

    riverrat1 thanked discerningeye