Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
undertheoaksgardener7b

My Hosta Garden in June 2020

Summer begins soon. Here in zone 7b, the blues are starting to turn green as the wax melts away. The flowers have attracted pollinators. Truly, I love the serenity of watching Hostas grow.

Beyond Glory on the right.

Brother Stefan in a pot next to variegated Solomon's seal, poet's laurel, and Fortune's holly fern.

Mystic Star, Hushpuppie, and Pewtarware among autumn fern and pulmonaria.

Unforgettable, with possible yellow sport. Front and center is NOID, maybe Janet. Companions are liriope, Red Neck Girl lady fern, Aspidistra Nagoya Stars, and azalea.

The creek that flows through my garden when it rains, at the delta near the downhill fence.

The creek runs in my neighbor's yard about half of the year.

Comments (30)

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have moved into this garden. Pea Pod is the gorgeous, tiered, emerald green, cupped hosta in flower. Niagara Falls is newly planted on the left corner.

Icy Halo is the sunburnt big one. This is its 3rd year in the spot. It is adjusting and thrives on extra water. I just planted Long Tail Lights (after 3 years in a pot!) and Roy Klehm next to it. In the background on the left is a favorite, Krugerrand, a big guy.

This is the view from my front porch. I have just planted Obsession. From left to right, Parisian Silk, variegated daphne, Obsession, HD NOID, Blueberry Muffin, variegated daphne, and Rasperry Sorbet. Also present are eared lady fern, NOID fern, hellebores, and a bit of hydrangea Tuff Stuff.

Foreground is Sweet Sunshine (on opposite side of large bed from its offspring, Pea Pod photo'd earlier), with hydrangeas, Orange Marmalade, Komodo Dragon, Paradise Glory, and other hostas in the distance.

I took this pic because I have finished this garden after a couple of years of intermittent work. The green in the front is a NOID, maybe Fried Green Tomatoes. Other hostas in this pic are Remember Me (right corner), Wu La Wa, Paradise Glory, Komodo Dragon, Jetstream, Split Milk, Journey's End, Nigrescens, another Orange Marmalade, Devon Green and Goober.

The view from the creek bench. Tokudama Flavicircinalis, Waukon Water, June, Tootie Mae, Sugar Plum :), and Spartacus.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The bottom on the creek at the fence line. Twilight, Dance with Me, Risky Business, Gypsy Rose, Gemini Moon, Sportsball, Lime Ripple.

Sugar Plum from below.

Mystic Star with pulmonaria and autumn fern.

Hydrangea Shooting Star.

May in the month of June.

June in the month of June (7b).

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Touch of Class next to So Sweet

Climax in bloom, near sunset. Choko Nishiki on left and Royal Standard behind.

Abundance of life in a place where nothing would grow. Unruly Child on the stumps, Cathedral Windows, wild ventricosa, and ventricosa aureomarginata. Companions are camellias, Florida Sunshine illicium, and Aspistra Stars and Stripes.

The last hosta I will buy, Danubie Isla. My yard is over-full.

The back of the butterfly sun garden. I can name hostas if anyone wants to know, but this will be nice in 1-2 years.

Another project completed. This will also be nice in about 2 years.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Montana aureomarginata with giant flower scapes

Hydrangea Shooting Star with pollinator

Tangerine Tango among hosta friends (Aristocrat, Hovercraft, Frosty Morn, Waterslide and Coconut Custard). Picture taken at twilight, which made the blues look bluer and darker.

Brother Stefan in bloom, a perfect plant.

Spartacus in bloom. This is a bigger plant than I thought it would be, but I love it there.

Sportsball among friends.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    3 years ago

Good looking hostas! Your Spartacus really stands out. I've never heard of Sportsball, but I like it.

undertheoaksgardener7b thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Sandy. I got Spartacus from Green Mountain Hosta about 3 years ago. Great plant.

Sportsball is not an official name; it is the name my husband and I gave to the rogue Striptease that a local nursery was selling.

• jimr66
    3 years ago

Nice varieties of hostas. The companion plants can make or break a hosta garden.

undertheoaksgardener7b thanked jimr66
  • undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Today, I had some time to be in the garden despite a long day at work.

Delta Dawn in flower, 2nd year plant and first year in the ground.

Here is Earth Angel, over 5 ft wide by almost 3 ft tall, and 3 years old.

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    3 years ago

Your garden is my kind of garden! I like to mix perennials and hostas and cluster them together. Gives you wild and natural feeling.

undertheoaksgardener7b thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • pippacovalent
    3 years ago

Those are all so beautiful, I love design of the beds.

undertheoaksgardener7b thanked pippacovalent
  • undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Today is the summer solstice.

Electrocution, Deja Blu, Fragrant Bouquet, and Last Dance among variegated and big blue liriope, toad lily and decaying stumps.

This area is humming with bees.

Ventricosa in flower, with Beyond Glory in pot in background.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Utog, I love the wildness of your bends——-as if it all occurred naturally! 👍🏽

undertheoaksgardener7b thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • almosthooked zone5
    3 years ago

I love your gardens. It would be a relaxing stroll to see under the oaks

undertheoaksgardener7b thanked almosthooked zone5
  • undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did some rearranging today. I felt like the grouping around Tangerine Tango (posted earlier this week), was too crowded. Frosty Morn and Hovercraft were in the ground, and Coconut Custard, Waterslide and Aristocrat were in pots around it. Tangerine Tango was in the middle in a pot. Today, I moved Frosty Morn and Hovercraft away to the front yard. Frosty Morn had grown much bigger than expected, and Hovercraft was too open, tall, and floaty. Here is the new arrangement around Tangerine Tango, with all plants in the ground except TT.

Tangerine Tango in the mildde, in a pot. Hostas at its feet are Bulletproof, Aristocrat, Hadspen Blue, Waterslide, and Teatime

The rest of that bed includes Great Expectations, Prairie Sky (which will be swapped with Camelot, whose color I like better with the rest of the plants), Cup of Joy, Thunderbolt, Dream Queen, Dinner Mint (not seen), ferns, hellebore, and the ever present liriope.

Frosty Morn and Hovercraft have been reassigned to the front yard as pictured.

Another view of front garden, Hovercraft not seen.

• indymom76
    3 years ago

Under the oaks-wonderful photos. I need to learn more about different plants to know what will work in my zone! What is the one that looks like little lily pads? (Sorry-if you need a better description let me know! Haha)

undertheoaksgardener7b thanked indymom76
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    3 years ago

Mm, earth angel 3 years old? Mine is nowhere near. Just jealous.

undertheoaksgardener7b thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Indymom, I think "the one that looks like little lily pads" is probably Blue Mouse Ears (BME). It is very small, but some may argue that it is not quite small enough to be a mini. It is a good plant. I tend to grow the little ones in pots because they have a tendency to climb above the soil like (heave). If I do not keep the crowns properly covered with soil, they die back or dwindle. BME behaves itself better than the other little ones in my garden. I love the flower display.

Earth Angel is 3 years old for certain, but may be 4 years old. I began collecting hostas in 2016. We had several catastrophes in 2016 (tree fell on house, dog died of cancer, cat died of cancer, another tree fell and crushed the side yard), so I may have bought and forgot Earth Angel in 2016.

Earth Angel grows like kudzu for me. I think it is because I have planted it in a terrible spot for normal plants. It is in the delta of a dry creek bed. The soil is pure red clay. The water table is about 1 ft below the soil surface. Every other plant I had planted in that area promptly died of fungus or crown root. Earth Angel just sucks all the water up and gets bigger. I have had to move the plants around it because it hogged their space. I did not think hostas were supposed to get that big this far south (7b).

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

June 27, 2020.

Lemontini on the stump. Bottom to top: Twilight, Dance with Me, Gemini Moon, Risky Business, Gypsy Rose, Sportsball (my odd Striptease), and Lime Ripple.

Invincible thriving in the ferns.

Ghost fern and Lady in Red with epimedium and wild violet at base of tree

Last weekend's project. L to R is Coconut Custard in pot, Dinner Mint, Dream Queen, and Tiny Tears in pot. Ferns are Northern maidenhair and and Godzilla.

Earth Angel and Brother Stefan front and center.

Tokudama flavicircinalis

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

June 27, 2020 continued.

Ventricosa in flower

Paul's Glory in center of liriope with ostrich fern, with young Regal Splendor in foregroud and Dark Star in pot.

Hydrangea Shooting Star

Hydrangea unknown.

Salvia uliginosa has blue flowers.

Mousetrap

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

June 27, 2020, 3rd post.

Pilgrim near Munchkin Fire, School Mouse, and Teaspoon.

Tattoo.

The Bar. Avocado, Cerveza, and Mojito centered around a fig tree with ginger on the side.

Foxglove reblooming.

Inniswood and Sharp Dressed Man

Young Bridal Falls in flower, with surprise grasshopper on nearby Asarum splendens.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Last post for June 27, 2020 (4 of 4).

Paradise Glory in flower. I hope this plant survives, because it is glorious.

Remember Me

Front side garden. Blooming Sweet Sunshine in the front.

Minipot with Picasso, Miniskirt, and Cameo.

Tokudama aureonebulosa.

Ben Vernooji

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

utog..I'm inside enjoying your photos..we had a nice rain and my yard is too soaked for strolling..my Blue Mouse Ears have heaved..I was surprised to hear they do that to you too..your climate is milder than mine..I love Lemontini in the cobalt pot..I like lime with blue..I'm going to Google Shooting Star hydrangea..I was thinking it's a macrophylla..which don't work here..I agree that Paradise Glory is glorious..

undertheoaksgardener7b thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nicholsworth, thanks for your comment. Good luck with your search today. Hydrangea Shooting Star blooms on new and old wood. The blooms this year are on new growth, as some late freezes killed a lot of the growth tips.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

utog..I checked..Shooting Star is a macrophylla..I would need to grow it in a pot and overwinter it in my shed..and I can't catch up as it is to take on a diva plant Lol..I'm jealous of your climate..

• miles10612
    3 years ago

Shooting Star is gorgeous I’m in northern Ohio so it’s not for me. I love Tattoo. Just got Tangerine Tango hope mine looks like yours in a couple of years. Earth Angel is not a vigorous hosta for me. Guardian Angel and Paul’s Glory grow like weeds here. I have a lot of the same hostas but mine are not artfully grown in beds like yours!

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

June 30, 2020

Lacecap hydrangeas, 3 types.

Deep Blue Sea in flower.

Flower Power in flower, with soon-to-be-blooming Mango Salsa in background. These are in part to full sun.

Mophead hydrangea. I love the blooming Sweet Sunshine at its feet, and the young Paradise Glory on the left.

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    3 years ago

Aw, that is a gorgeous hydrangea, can only team about one

Like that!

• vina538
    2 years ago

I love the pics I've seen of "Beyond Glory" - but it's too big for my spot. Any suggestions for a smaller look alike?

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Vinca, Sunset Grooves is small.