barmaleyka

Tomatoville problems

barmaleyka

Hello,

Does somebody have an access to Tomatoville.com forums? I tried to register there but for ONE MONTH(!!!) the mods are sleeping at the forums and can not provide authorization! Their mailbox if full multiple attempts to write to several email addresses were not fruitful. If somebody is a member - is there any chance you may reach moderators and ask them to fix their sign up system? Without activation I can not write there and see pictures!!!

Thank you in advance!

• Mokinu

@ncrealestateguy Mischka switched to a paid subscription mode instead of shutting it down like he was going to. I'm not sure if they're still doing the subscription. They were accepting new members last I heard. There seems to be a strong and poorly understood vetting process for member approval, although when I became a member years ago—I'm not anymore—it happened fairly quickly; I think I had to do something first, like send a certain message or post in a certain forum, but I'm not sure).

@barmaleyka It's possible that Mischka doesn't accept members from some IP address ranges, regardless of whether you yourself have done anything wrong. Or maybe he's just busy. Maybe they only accept so many members at a time, and the excess just don't make it. You can always join TomatoJunction.com while you're waiting, if you want; it's not affiliated with Tomatoville, but many Tomatoville members have been migrating there since December (although some post on both sites, and some joined both sites, but only seem to post on one). There arise plenty of seed offers at TomatoJunction. Pictures are private there, too, but it's easier to become a member. There are plenty of other gardening communities, too, including Gardenweb, the Organic Gardening Community, Homegrown Goodness, the OSSI Plant Breeding forum, Not Just Tomatoes, Garden Stew, Dave's Garden, and more.

Best Answer
  • ncrealestateguy

I though tomatoville was gone and done with?

• barmaleyka

People still post there daily...

• barmaleyka

Thank you Mokinu, I was able to register at TomatoJunction.com

• ncrealestateguy

Who would pay to belong to a forum?

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7

The folks at TJ are very friendly!

• Mokinu

Dave's Garden does a subscription, too.

The advantage of a subscription service is that people want to get their money's worth; so, they probably participate more without any prodding. Spammers are less likely to pay money to subscribe, too. The monthly charge people see on their bank statements is a reminder and is advertising to the subscriber, too. It's not a horrible way to go (for wealthy enough individuals), exactly. But, I prefer not to have a monthly charge, or any charge, personally.

• barmaleyka

BTW, who is Mishka, what was the problem with the site and is Mishka available to reach in any form of communication?

• Mokinu

Mischka is the Tomatoville username of the administrator and owner of Tomatoville.

• Mokinu

I don't remember or know all the reasons, but it may have had something to do with the passing of Dr. Carolyn Male (Carolyn), the rise of social media gardening groups, and the time and money put into the forum.

• Mokinu

If you try to go somewhere you can't on TV when you're logged into your non-member account, you may see contact information.

• barmaleyka

Unfortunately his email was not working. I was wondering to find out how much money are needed to revive the forum?

• Mokinu

Not sure. Have you tried replying to the automatic PM he sent you when you registered, if you got one?

• barmaleyka

I was hoping that somebody know him personally so we could figure our the business deal in his mind... According to internet registry records he is somehow related to rareseeds.com

• Mokinu

I don't know who knows him personally. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (AKA rareseeds.com) used to own a forum called idigmygarden.com. Mischka bought idigmygarden.com from Baker Creek in the not-so-distant past. It closed down within a couple years or so after that, I think.

Northern Virginia's Licensed, Local & Reliable Landscape Contractor