Software
Houzz Logo Print
erin_hawver

Do you think this tile job is botched?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi friends, I am in need of some advice/opinions.


We are currently undergoing an entire home reno, completely gutted the inside and rebuilding. Everything has gone pretty well so far, but emotions are quite high as even though it’s been relatively smooth sailing, we’re two months along and are as stressed as ever— which is why I’m seeking outside opinions from those who I hope are in a slightly more sound mental space than we are!


Contractors finished up the kitchen backsplash yesterday. First reaction from my husband is horror. He thinks it looks terribly crooked, and they did a botched job. My biggest issue is the grout color is way darker than I anticipated— I requested a light, whitish gray, and it looks a lot darker now that it’s on.


Some areas of contention are around the window (see directly around the frame). That I know isn’t great, but if we trim out the window it’ll cover up the wonky areas and shouldn’t be too noticeable.

Directly to the right of the window we’re installing two floating shelves, so once those are up and filled with items, that whole area will be pretty OK in my opinion. I keep telling him that after all appliances are installed, outlet covers are on, it will look much better but he’s not agreeing.

Other than the cuts around the outlets and the window frame, I don’t think it’s bad at all, but maybe I’m being to nice. I’ve been running the whole show in regards to the reno, so I will have to be the one ultimately having the convo with the GC and am just not sure how to approach it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated— thank you!!








Comments (25)

  • 6 years ago

    I’m not a pro. To me it looks pretty darn good. I had to enlarge the pics and look really closely to see the issues, and they just aren’t a big deal, IMO. Again, not a pro so I don’t know the degree of difficulty in this job...but my guess is that it’s very hard to get that size and shape of tile to fit absolutely perfectly everywhere in the room.


    The grout color looks good to me, too. It works well with the gray in your counters.


    Sometimes in the middle of a stressful project it’s hard to get perspective. Hang in there!

  • 6 years ago

    I see nothing to complain about. As far as grout color they should made you a sample board with tile and grout so you could see the color match. Did you pick a color or just tell them a round about color?

  • 6 years ago

    Well, in truth there are some issues. I’m going to assume your counters are level and your windows are level. The tile on that window wall is not, and it should be. Especially with difficult installations these guys should have used a laser level. Also, there is no room for caulk at the counter/tile joint that I can see. All of the first row tiles should be cut at the same length and should have been installed with a tile spacer.

    Is it a re-do? Honestly, that window wall would drive me bananas, but it’s a tough call. It isn’t horrible, nor is it excellent, it’s pretty good.

  • 6 years ago

    That looks pretty darn good to me. Search for true tile horror stories and show your husband an actual sh:tshow.

  • 6 years ago

    Not a pro here. I think the tile job looks very well done. I think the tile shape itself is very busy and lends itself to optical illusions making it appear crooked even though it it’s not.

  • 6 years ago

    I think it’s fine....

  • 6 years ago

    I think it looks okay but not great. These look like difficult tiles to straighten vertically so that’s part of it. But there’s also spacing issues like they didn’t use the tiny plastic spacers often enough. This is basic stuff. However, I wouldn’t litigate or anything. I don’t think most people would notice after you’ve filled the room.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    have I seen worse? yes. have I seen better? yes. outlets are fine. once the cover is on, you won't notice it. what did he want to happen w/them? outlets are bigger than the tiles.


    lack of proper layout and measuring. This is why you have tiny slivers in the corner.


    look at your corners, now look at a good one:


    I can't tell if they wrapped the corner and lined up the other tiles, but I'm guessing no.

    Any good tiler will NEVER have slivers in corners or on the edges (like next to your upper cabinets. no reason for that. I'd also have done a metal strip edging for the far right border.

    similar tile. notice the edges. small, but not quite slivers. they could have gone a tad bigger


    Here are some other examples. If these come on a sheet, a lot of times they're put a little askew on the sheet and it's not the tilers fault.

    these backsplashes are done pretty darn well. a few are leaning, but for the most part they're straight.






    so to answer your question, they had better fix those two broken tiles, and any other obvious mis-fit you don't like.

    otherwise, once you get the shelves up, it should be fine.

    only thing that would bother me a bit is the corners, and a small portion behind the stove.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The grout color looks good. I don’t understand your issue with it—didn’t you select it? I’ve always been instructed by a tile installer to select the grout color, they would never make the choice for me, that would be asking for trouble!

    And how exactly did your husband expect the outlets to be installed? Evenly on an uneven pattern? Goodness.

  • 6 years ago

    I think that’s a wire hanging down, not two broken tiles. OP, can you confirm?

  • 6 years ago


    Definitely a wire, you can see it hanging in this picture. I thought the same as Beth at first until I saw it from the second picture angle.


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    really? it's a wire?

    ok. I think I see it from the other angle. I edited my other comment.

    thanks mill

  • 6 years ago

    I'm with your husband on this one. I could never "unsee" the horror. I'd rip it out and get a simpler tile.

  • 6 years ago

    Is that wire the same place? Looks like the wire is on the left side of sink and possible cracked tile on right?

  • 6 years ago

    I think the overall consensus is you’re fine. This won’t be noticed by most folks. It’s not A+ work. But it is prob B and that’s more than many expect. I wouldn’t stress too much! Appreciate the post. I learned some things to look for in my own projects.

  • 6 years ago

    I think it will look great when completed. Please post pics of your completed project.

  • 6 years ago

    The range wall looks great and I like the grout color... but the window wall looks very unlevel. Especially above the window you can see the tiles get bigger as you go to the right, I would not be happy with that. Put a level under the top window frame and on the countertop. If that's all level then the tile isn't and they should redo. Do you have any progress photos? Did they start from the counter up? I'm not sure why they would cut tiles smaller at the counter level as they went across to the left...

  • 6 years ago

    I can see what your husband is taking about but I don't think it is worth redoing. It isn't a bad job but it is isn't perfect - but - really - nothing ever is. I think once all is done and put together - you will not see it. I can't imagine redoing just on that one issue over the window but that is just me - only you both know what you notice and can live with. I like the grout color and the over all feel of the whole look. Keep us posted on what you both decide. Good luck.

  • 6 years ago

    Note to self- reserve comment until you can see photo in larger screen than cell phone. 🤷🏻‍♀️

  • 6 years ago

    JjJ, don't feel bad. I made the exact same comment and was told to look at the two pictures carefully! lol

  • 6 years ago

    Suspect you have some issues with square and level in the wall. I think that the window trim will alleviate a lot of the concern, as will the shelves.


    You picked a REALLY HARD tile to get right if something isn't PERFECTLY level and square.


    Your grout color is lovely- enough for contrast- not enough for calling out more error. (as recommended- show hubs some pics of REAL tile sh$tshows and this is not one)


    I think this will enhance the finished kitchen overall and not detract from it.


    During my build- I continue to remind myself that when any single project is being completed, I am 100% focused on that PART of the project. and even if it gets done at 80-85%- it's not that the entire house will be 15% deficient.


    This is one part of a very large project and I always try to remind myself of that- and put each part in perspective.

  • 6 years ago

    Yeah, we haven’t heard from the OP since she posted. Save your efforts.

  • 6 years ago

    Hi all— OP here! Thank you so much to all of you for your opinions + advice! I spoke to my contractor about some of the most blatant problem areas and they’re going to fix a few tiles that are super crooked.

    I reassured my husband to take a breathe and let’s reassess after the kitchen is completed and put it, having all of the finishings and appliances will help I’m sure. He’s in agreement.

    To clear up the oddities, the tiles that appear broken were just an illusion created by the dangling wire! The grout color, I picked from a color placard but it just didn’t translate the same when applied. It seemed darker than the swatch, but it truly is what it is at this point!

    I appreciate the reminder that it is all about perspective, and at the end of the day, we’ll have a brand new beautiful kitchen and am focusing my energy into being thankful for that!

    Hugs to you all!!

  • 6 years ago

    Also, forgot to add, it is 100% the window not being leveled that created the growing picket shape.