stephanie_hirshberg

Insect/Aphid damage to hydrangea leaves

Stephanie H

Hi again! My plants are growing and blooming but noticed several have damaged leaves. Is this from insects? What should I do? Thanks in advance!

• luis_pr

By the time the end of the season approaches, leaves no longer "look pristine". These look like pests that stopped by earlier in Spring. As long as there are no pests anymore, it would not bother me to see these small problems on the leaves. They are probably caused by the insects, caterpillars, beetles, larvae, etc.

The most you can do to prevent things like leaf spot is never water the leaves and the blooms.

• Stephanie H

Thank you. How will I know if the pests are no longer around?

• luis_pr

You would have to monitor the plant at random times during the days and at night (some pests are nocturnal). Maybe look in the soil, under rocks, the undersides of leaves, around some of the stems.

• Stephanie H

And if I see them?

• indianagardengirl

If you see them, post a photo so you can identify. Once you know what they are, you can find an appropriate control. Don’t just buy an insecticide and start spraying, you need to get something targeted toward your pest. Keep an eye on the newest leaves for damage, as whatever it was may have moved on.

Unless the situation gets a lot worse or you can clearly see the insects on the plants in some numbers, you really do not need to do anything. Some insect damaged foliage does not spell disaster nor is your plant going to die! Bugs munching on leaves are a very common occurrence and hard to prevent 100%....and mostly create just cosmetic damage.

One needs to learn to live with a certain amount of imperfection in the garden :-)

• luis_pr

One thing that I do to detect pests is to take picures from the same location every "X" number of days. The pics are usually aimed at problem areas where I can see affected leaves close up. Then I compare the leaf damage from one day to another and see if I detect any changes, a lot of changes or no changes.

• Tim Wood

It looks like flea beetle damage. Once they flower you will not notice this damage. But if feel the need to fix it this article should help. https://bit.ly/2VzctOP

• popmama

"One needs to learn to live with a certain amount of imperfection in the garden" -- amen!

• Embothrium

Aphids are sucking pests so this damage wouldn't be caused by those. Also except for the kinds that cause leaves to curl around them they are always out in view on the infested plant.

• Billy (Zone6 Mass)

I have the exact same damage on one of my Hydrangeas. The others do not have this damage at all. It looks like it happened earlier in the season. Doesn't appear to be getting worse.

Loudoun County's Full Scope Renovation & Remodeling Experts