Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Garden Multiples - Heavy on the Hansons

shive
3 years ago

Today it's raining all day, so I decided to show some more clumps from this morning and the weekend. I'll start with the daylilies of Curt Hanson.

The Blues Project - Great branching, great color on a small-flowered plant.

Allegheny Skyline - a couple of the scapes actually may reach 38-40 inches this time!

Two Sues still pumping out the flowers

Bela Lugosi

Betty Bush is by hybridizer Chad Bush.

Empire of Desire

Divas in Diamonds

August Groom

River City Pier Surfer

Reckless Girls

More in the comments ....

Comments (12)

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just a few more ...

Seedling Cowgirl Spurs x Blazing Saddles

Pretty Desirable still putting on a nice show

Yellow seedling

Silver Sword

Miss Demeanor and Rowena Yaeger

Razor Eyes

Westbourne Little Lamb

Coastal Grand

That's all for now!

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

Lovely clumps! They all look so healthy! You know that yellow seedling is calling my name! How beautiful! Allegheny Skyline always looks so vigorous for you. Do you find that to be true? Betty Bush looks great in that clump. Reckless Girls appears to be well budded. The Cowgirl Spurs seedling looks pretty healthy too.

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kate - Allegheny Skyline is doing better this year than it ever has. The place where I originally planted it was getting too shady. Three years ago I had dug it up and divided pieces for Avedon and someone else - maybe Julia. Then I got the word my mom was in the hospital and the fans never got back in the ground because I spent several months in Indianapolis. It ovewintered out of the ground, and I planted it in a place with more sun, but the grubs devoured it that spring and fall. Then I moved it to where it is now - 10 hours of sun a day in rich soil - and it's taller and better budded than ever before. It isn't a fast multiplier, but it's steady. Reckless Girls is incredibly well-budded this year, but still on shorter scapes than it should be. It gets too shaded by the gigantic clump of Rowena Yaeger. Now that's a vigorous plant. The Blazing Saddles seedling is a fast multiplier, but doesn't have enough buds to warrant registration. It does make an impressive clump though.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

It’s nice to see clump shots today, garden promises kept! I’m glad you showed us Two Sues, I finally added it this spring, will enjoy yours this season. I Also like The Blazing Saddles seedling, how many buds per scape? Wow, Allegheny Skyline is one tough plant, definitely worth saving.

Sherry

• nat4b
    3 years ago

Ooh great clumps! My absolute favorite are Betty Bush and Silver Sword. Two Sues is of course always a favorite. The Cowgirl Spurs seedling looks so nice with so many blooms. And I like that yellow one, looks very pale yellow on my screen, almost near white. What's the last one?

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Oh, where to start? Wonderful clumps, every one. Two Sues really grabs my eye, then Reckless Girls. Allegheny Skyline looks so nice. I divided mine this spring, it put out a scape, then the scape died. I like the toothy look of Betty Bush with that bright red color. And then, there is Silver Sword! I got that this spring, I looked at it yesterday and it is just 1 fan now, boo hoo.

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sherry - The Blazing Saddles seedling has 9-13 (mostly 9) buds. It gets plenty of sun and was fertilized this Spring, but the bed has become very crowded. I have about 10 fans, so I'm going to be planting part of it in another place to see if it can do any better. It has an 8 inch bloom with some teeth, and I've crossed it with Skater and White Tooth. Until it gets really hot, the petal color looks sort of drab.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    3 years ago

The Blues Project looks very much like Self Determination that I grow here but with that touch of Lavender Blue Baby. Nice clump photo.

Yes, you sent me two fans of Allegheny Skyline and I think it is up to 4 or 5 fans. I planned to move it to the back garden last fall but of course it fell off the list of chores.

I still think I'll have shorter than normal scapes here. We are in for another dry spell.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nat - The last one is Coastal Grand. I could have sworn I typed the name on it, but it disappeared. I've added it back now. The yellow is a polychrome with pink highlights. My camera tends to blow out yellows and make them lighter than they really are.

Nancy - So sorry to hear about your Allegheny Skyline. You need to follow my rule, no dividing until you have at least six fans. I got Silver Sword two falls ago, and this is the first season it has bloomed. That one takes a while to settle in. I don't think it likes being divided. The other two I got from Holmes bloomed last year. Betty Bush is a nice one, especially now that I have several fans.

Julia - I do think The Blues Project resembles Self Determination. I think Allegheny Skyline multiplies much faster here than it does for you. I originally got it as a one-fan bonus with a Lily Auction win, and within three years it was six fans. My original plant died back to two two years ago, and now it's seven. Most of my daylilies in the front are on shorter scapes, but in the backyard more than half - especially the dormants - are taller than usual.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    3 years ago

I really like both the blazing Saddles and the yellow seedlings. How are we supposed to choose one. Two Sues looks great, Even with just two, Silver Sword is probably my favorite, and Betty bush is n eye catcher, but then so are a number of others. I really like Reckless girls. what a lovely bunch of clumps.

kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

You always have such nice clumps shots, but Betty Bush takes the cake for me with that edges just a mass of frills and teeth. I might be tempted by that one if it could take our 100 degree heat coming in tomorrow just in time for the Fireworks.........As for UF's I still can appreciate Divas in Diamonds and I like your shot of your Cowgirl seedling....Of course I like your Empire of Desire. Nice color, good round form.................Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maryl and kay - Betty Bush is eye catching with all those tendrils and teeth. It has more color than most around it at the end of a hot day. We haven't come anywhere close to 100 this year. My highest temp so far is 94. The last two daylily seasons have been quite cool compared to previous years.

Debra