Software
Houzz Logo Print
rob_brasil33

New lawn is this crabgrass?

6 years ago

Finally after removing a huge pine tree I was able to throw some seed down but now have a brighter green weed I believe that took over the yard. We used Scott’s Turf Builder Sun and Shade grass seed and put it down on Memorial day. Is this crab grass and is there anything we can do?



Comments (9)

  • 6 years ago


    Pulled one out hope this helps identify it. Thank you for the reply.

  • 6 years ago

    I have a bunch of the same grass/weed. I thought it was crabgrass but I'd like to know for sure. It is much lighter in color than the bulk of the grass.

  • 6 years ago

    I just took a look online and both your pic and my weed indeed like crabgrass. It appears the younger it is the lighter the green. See this link

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wda7u8maaKA

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    That looks like nutgrass to me.. its more light green and thinner than crabgrass.

    seems like they spread pretty easily and mostly grow in overwatered areas. This is from the picture that you have posted.. I could be wrong


  • 6 years ago

    Where do you live? Generally Memorial Day is the second worst holiday weekend to put down a cool season grass seed. 4th of July is the worst one. But this changes fast, because Labor Day is usually a great time to put down cool season grass seed. However, if you live in a few isolated locations, then you can seed successfully even in the summer heat.

    Your weed is not crabgrass. That stuff is way too tall and flat to be crabgrass. Crabgrass has a wavy and very coarse blade that stays fairly short.

    It is also not nutgrass. Nutgrass flowers look like this.


    A cross section of a nutgrass stalk is triangular.


    Can you take another picture in the shade from about 6 inches away from the grass? Also wipe the finger prints off the camera lens first. That will help clear up your pictures.

  • 6 years ago

    not trying to hijack this discussion, but my scenario is almost identical from what I can see. I have included a couple of pic (with scale) to hopefully help the weed sleuths identify the culprit.




  • 6 years ago

    Darren, the OP doesn't seem to be answering. Where do you live? What kind of grass do you have?

  • 6 years ago

    I live in upstate NY - Goshen NY to be exact, The grass I currently have I inherited with the house it is a TTTF mix from what I can tell.. I am planning on doing a major overseed this fall and taking control of the lawn. I will be using a TTTF/KBG mix for the overseed. I do have a few major shaded areas that has never had grass. It was mainly moss. I garden weaseled the area late spring and put down TTTF for shaded areas and it took quite well. So I have been following LCN and Ryan Knoor on youtube to learn as much as I can. I am putting together a plan for this fall. I have (what I'm assuming is Crabgrass) major weed issues and only applied a pre-emergent to the new TTTF area and that part is weed free. My current soil temp is 73-73 degrees. The reason I thought it is crabgrass is because it started around the perimeter and pathways first (warmer areas) before becoming a major part of the lawn - similar to the OP first pic. Hopefully this is enough info. Any assistance guidance will be much appreciated. If it is crabgrass, is it too late to spray with post emergent? If I spray, will it leave bald spots in my lawn where it is currently Crabgrass?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations