Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
port2015

Is it Wise to Try and Restore a Dormant Lawn

port2015
3 years ago

Southern Maine Zone 5b

We have a neighbor in our vacation community who was unable to water their blend of KBG, fescue and perennial rye grass lawn; and it looks as if the lawn has gone dormant.

Right now the lawn has a brownish black hue on the surface.

If I scratch down through the dead material there are signs of green grass blades; and if I grab a handful and tug on it, the turf seems well rooted.

In the shaded areas the lawn is green and growing.

The water is now available for watering.

Is it wise to try to bring the lawn out of dormancy at this point?

If so; the lawn looks like it needs a very good raking.

If they rake and start of a deep watering schedule would an application of Milorganite help once signs of the lawn greening up start to show?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• mishmosh
    3 years ago

I wouldn't bother. Leave it dormant. Water every two weeks or so if its hot and dry for an extended period. weed grass like poa annua and poa triv hopefully will die. your lawn is not fertile ground for moles. I feel like it is less risk for grubs but I cant prove that. Bonus:. you'll save a small fortune in water costs.

port2015 thanked mishmosh
  • morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    3 years ago

You're correct, it's less risk for grubs. Japanese beetles won't lay eggs as readily in lawns that are sere and dry, they have a preference for green pastures, like anything else.

So if yours is the nice one, everything that likes a green lawn will head for it. Same with the gardens. Sometimes that's an advantage, like with bees and butterflies. Sometimes not, like with the grubs.

port2015 thanked morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
  • danielj_2009
    3 years ago

There's also fescue and rye in that lawn. Are those dormant or dead at this point?

port2015 thanked danielj_2009
    3 years ago

Napping. Fescues and ryegrasses don't really go dormant,per se, but they tolerate drought really, really well. I've spent (mis-spent, actually) time in Maine and fescue and ryegrasses don't have trouble surviving even the driest summers there.

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago

Huh, I was under the impression that either of both of those grasses (rye, I think) weren't so good under conditions that would send KBG into dormancy.

port2015 thanked danielj_2009
    3 years ago

Two different methods, two different routes, with the same result. Fescue and rye slow down a lot earlier and drop into lower gears. relying on safe, careful driving during bad weather. Bluegrass will drive right off the cliff, relying on its dormancy mechanism to save it by simply not being awake when the police come looking for who caused the accident.

Both work just fine.

• danielj_2009
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Interesting analogy, morph. Thanks for the chuckle!

Maybe I was thinking that rye/fescue won't go dormant like KBG and that you have to be more careful than with KBG?

3 years ago

That's certainly true. In both cases, actually, I'd suggest a quarter inch of water every 2 weeks or so. Even bluegrass would like it to keep the roots alive and happy.

I've seen all the grass types survive very extended droughts by slowing down biological processes almost to the point of effective dormancy even if they can't go formally "dormant."

I'm sure (cough) there are those who will call me on the technical terminology (and have been noticeably absent), and that's quite correct, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...well, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a duck, but it probably tastes much like duck if you shoot it and bake it up with a nice white wine sauce.

There's technical care, what works, and what it'll actually tolerate when fully established out in the real world. And the last is a lot worse than what it usually gets.

One thing to note is that wear, as from kids playing or adults performing sports or whatnot during drought is a total no-no on any lawn (you know that, others reading may not). Tearing at the crowns and roots is just a bad idea when it's under stress. And some lawns just don't like stress at all, but most common ones don't mind.