Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samaya05

Turning a lanai into a closet??

Misty B.
3 years ago

My husband and I are short on closet space as the master shares 1 closet. My idea is to lose the lanai (we have other outdoor spaces) and turn it into a dressing room/closet since it is connected to the master already and has a roof. My questions are: 1- We are in FL and most homes you see straight thru the back from the front door with lots of light. This change would eliminate that. Would that be a bad choice? 2- When we are older and I limit my wardrobe to robes and smoking slippers, to convert it into an office would be easier if it had a door to the inside so should I do that now? To access your closet from the main house seems weird and design wise would need to be more appealing like a barn door or glass door which again seems odd. I'm trying to make changes that work for me (adding closet space) that won't decrease my home's value. 3- Any idea on cost to enclose this area and add A/C? Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Comments (3)

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

The lanai is a terrible place for a closet. Why don’t you get some closets organizers?

• Linda Dornan
    3 years ago

Why not convert the study to a large dressing room? Seems better than giving up the lanai and the sunlight it provides.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO that whole master suite needs redoing , what a convoluted weird layout. I would spend the money there and you could also get better ROI with a properly designed bedroom and a lot less wasted space.