Software
Houzz Logo Print
keagle

Recommendations for Auto Drip Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe

6 years ago

My 11 year coffee maker is starting to go bad ( Zojirushi- model no longer made) so I am in search of a new one. I want an auto drip maker that makes HOT coffee, is at least 8 cups, and uses a thermal carafe. I don't want to spend $300. Under $200 is ideal, but I am open to slightly higher. After much research, I am considering (not in any order):

  1. Zojirushi EC-YTC100XB
  2. Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System, Auto-iQ CP307
  3. Cuisinart Stainless Steel Thermal Coffeemaker, 12 Cup Carafe, Silver DCC-3400P1
  4. OXO BREW 9 Cup Coffee Maker 8710100
  5. Bonavita Connoisseur 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker Featuring Hanging Filter Basket and Thermal Carafe, BV1901TS

Every time I read reviews I change my mind or add another option. Please let me know your experiences with the coffee maker, what you like and dislike. I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!

Comments (26)

  • 6 years ago

    I love my Technivorm Moccamaster with the thermal carafe. It is also highly recommended by America’s Test Kitchen. The carafe keeps the coffee warm for hours.

    https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-Moccamaster-Coffee-Brewer-Polished/dp/B002S4DI2S

    Karen Eagle thanked boschboy
  • 6 years ago

    I second the Technivorm. But from your list, the Bonavita.

    Karen Eagle thanked weedmeister
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Bought a Technivorm for my brother-in-law, then for my sister-in-law (my family are mostly tea drinkers, for which we have the Zojirushi water boiler). They love them with a passion, but Wirecutter loves the OXO Brew 9 and I am considering it for my home. The Bonavita was ranked as also good, producing the best tasting coffee of them all. It has some wonky ness and isn’t programmable. The Zojirushi is apparently really slow.

    Karen Eagle thanked eam44
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I bought the Oxo Barista Brain 9-cup (your #4). I love it beyond measure! (I only talk like that when coffee is concerned). At first I was looking at the Technivorm, but when I saw the Technivorm models at Williams-Sonoma IRL, I couldn’t get comfortable with the large footprint yet small carafe. And then there’s the Technivorm price. I bought my Oxo on Amazon, and it was on sale at Mother’s Day.

    Regarding the temperature of the coffee, it comes out of the Oxo basket at the perfect temperature. However, I found that if I rinsed the carafe beforehand in very hot water to warm the metal, the coffee remains very hot in the carafe as well. We have no water constraints in my area, so I do this every time I make coffee. I expect this would be the same with every brand coffee maker with a metal carafe.

    Did I mention I love my Oxo?

    Karen Eagle thanked Shannon_WI
  • 6 years ago

    Shannon, I do that now with my current carafe, so not an issue. I was all set to get the Oxo, until I read some negative comments. That's why I posted here. I trust the feedback.

  • 6 years ago

    We have the OXO 9 cup too and we like it a lot. I do wish it had a removable reservoir and that it disassembled more for cleaning without having to resort to cleaning cycles. But, we’ve had it for 4 or 5 years and it still makes great coffee.

    Karen Eagle thanked wiscokid
  • 6 years ago

    bump


  • 6 years ago

    If you want more feedback, look at the reviews online at Williams Sonoma, Amazon, or Target.

    Karen Eagle thanked eam44
  • 6 years ago

    eam, I did already. That's why I'm confused. lol

  • 6 years ago

    Moccamaster owner and a huge fan here also. Nothing tastes as good!

    Karen Eagle thanked lucky998877
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Of those listed, I recommend the Bonavita. I have the one with the glass carafe and it simply makes terrific coffee, simply. Note that I also only use distilled water with added minerals.

    Karen Eagle thanked Sammy
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    During last Christmas we got a Keurig combined Duo Plus that has a 12-cup thermal carafe and also takes Keurig cups too! The water container is clear and fits onto the back of the machine and the machine is tall and slim and fits right under our upper cabinets. Normally they are $199 at Costco but have it on sale many times for $159. Makes great coffee and also has a "STRONG" setting if you like it that way. The thermal carafe is well-built and "bulletproof." When you use the Keurig cups you can pick 6/8/10/12 oz cups and for the carafe you can make 6/8/10/12 cups. WE LOVE IT!

    Karen Eagle thanked Chris Vaughan
  • 6 years ago

    I love my Technivorm.

    Karen Eagle thanked Rachel
  • 4 years ago

    Checking in with those of you that made recommendations. Does anyone have trouble with the carafe leaking? I love our current coffee maker but pouring a cup means that half end up all over the counter.

  • 4 years ago

    @KH 888 - your comment would benefit from mentioning which coffee maker you have.

  • 4 years ago

    I just have a basic cuisineart. I’m planning on buying a new fancy one but definitely want to avoid a leaky carafe. Thanks!

  • 4 years ago

    The Cuisinart mentioned has an odd shape to the carafe, making it difficult to clean the interior. It keeps the coffee hot for long periods, but that seems to encourage more coffee to stick onto the interior. Turfing the carafe out completely is a long voodoo ceremony. YMMV.


    We did not have a long term experience with the OXO, cause it died. The coffee was great while it lasted.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    @Karen Eagle - I too will follow up on my post above from last year - my Oxo Barista Brain is still providing delicious hot coffee, and at the right temperature, and the stainless steel carafe keeps it hot for a while (not sure how long its maximum is because we finish the pot of coffee within about 40 minutes). I do rinse the carafe with very hot water just prior to brewing in order to warm the metal up before the coffee hits it.

    As mentioned, I had decided against the Technivorm when shopping for coffee makers due to its large footprint yet small carafe, and how expensive it is - i.e. for different reasons than you mentioned. So now the list of reasons to not get the Technivorm is longer.

    My friend just bought the Oxo recently - it has been slightly redesigned. My friend says the coffee is great, but to get the very last cup from the carafe she has to take the lid off - somehow the lid prevents the last amount of the coffee in the carafe from pouring out. It’s a bit of an annoyance but not a really big deal.

  • 4 years ago

    I have the Technivorm and I'm very happy with it. Here's a tip to clean thermal carafe. Soak in hot water with dishwasher powder for about an hour. Very easy and it works!

  • 4 years ago

    Another good option is the Breville Precision Brewer. It has a 12-cup capacity and a great thermal carafe. There's a cold-brew option, a kit for manual pour-over, and it allows the user to customize water temperature, bloom time, and flow rate. It makes a really great pot of coffee.


    Rachel, thanks for the cleaning tip! I'm going to try that on all of the thermoses this weekend.

  • 4 years ago

    @mcaroll, I found this tip about a year ago; I tried it and it works beautifully. Alert . . . the first time you do this, you may be disgusted by the amount of coffee residue that appears.

  • 4 years ago

    @mcarroll, that’s how I clean my pot too! It works wonders.

    To be honest, I’m not a big coffee snob. I really love a thermal carafe that’s easy to pour from without making a mess. @Rachel, does the Breville pour neatly or does it dribble?

  • 4 years ago

    @Kate H, I have the Technivorm, not the Breville. I notice some folks think it is overpriced. This coffee maker was expensive, but it is important to me that the coffee is very hot and this unit delivers on that. I've had it three years and it functions well. I don't mind spending more for something that lasts. FWIW, if I wait for the coffee to complete brewing, it does not dribble.

  • 4 years ago

    Kate H, I have the Breville. It's a very clean pour, no dribbles. You do need to remove the lid to pour out the last few tablespoons of coffee.

  • 4 years ago

    I tried that cleaning recipe. But it also needed a damp sit with baking soda, followed by brush scrub of the baking soda left in the pot and a rinse of hot water and vinegar - which at least is entertaining.


    I dunno what Cuisinart did in that carafe!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio