Software
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Help with Spacing for Laguna, Jasmina, Colette, Compassion, Renae in 7

6 years ago

Friends who are growing or may have grown Laguna, Jasmina. Colette and/or Compassion:


I am planning to grow these on long trellises and not quite sure how much lateral space I should give the individual roses. I want to give them as much space as they need to get as big as they want so I am not always cutting and struggling to manage. But I want the trellis to be lushly full too. Height info would be great too.


Also if you could share any information on the habit of these climbers please. Lax canes, easy to pull to the horizontal; stiff upright narrow (or wide) bush etc.

For example most peoples comments are that Laguna will grow to 8 feet. But not how much space sideways it needs to flourish. I have a second year Laguna. It is growing so vigorously, blows my mind. Looking at it now I think laguna could easily 7 or 8 feet of space for width, likely more. And its canes are quite lax and come in large numbers.


Thank you so much for your input!

Comments (12)

  • 6 years ago

    Give Laguna lots and lots of space. It is one huge stiff thorny brute. Mine is probably 8-9' currently. It does not clean it's spent flowers so you will need to be able to get around it to deadhead. Depending on the year, those balled brown rotting flowers can stink something awful. Jasmina is not really that vigorous here for me, not many canes and about 5' tall. I try to tie her horizontally. Right now she's totally defoliated. I would plant something around her feet to hide that. I have Climbing Colette but it hasn't climbed in the 5? years I have had her. Just a 3 1/2 to 4' shrub. Compassion is new for me this year. I had to carry it over in the greenhouse last winter because it just stopped growing and something ate all the leaves off it before I could get it planted out last fall. It looks like it will be pretty good sized. I know there are many who grow her that can add more advice on size.

    katyajini thanked lkayetwvz5
  • 6 years ago

    Laguna is a huge sprawling very thorny blob of a multi-stemmed bush. Think lilac bush form. As Kaye noted above, after blooming the flowers just stick around in a brown rotting mess. I shovel pruned my plant this spring. Yes, it was hardy when unprotected, yes it's first flush was amazing, but getting stabbed by its canes all season long when I worked around it, and having to look at its dead brown flower blobs if I didn't deadhead it (trying to stay unstabbed) just wasn't worth the flower space. Not fragrant.


    Jasmina -- throws out only 2-3 canes; hardy but not vigorous. Blooms are pretty, not fragrant. Not an enthusiastic rebloomer, but does give a spotty performance after the spring flush. Would not plant again, but I'm not going to shovel-prune it.



    katyajini thanked Sunny Michigan
  • 6 years ago

    Renea is a little on the tender side , but vigorous that it catches up to its old self quickly. I always had some dead wood to clear out . But it was never any trouble as there are no thorns , and you can train it super easy , any way you like. My pergola was probably 8 or 9 ft high and renea was almost there for me . Colette I had no problem training on an arbor , and it bloomed gorgeous for me . Since I had it only 3 years I’m not sure how tall it would get but it reached the top very nicely for me the third spring I had it .

    Jasmina grows with a mind of its own . I’m really not sure how to answer for her. I couldn’t figure her out there and I can’t figure her out here . In Tennessee she climbed but was very jutted out in all directions. Here she is not climbing. Her canes are laying down with no laterals coming off and I don’t know why. I’m interested to see how she does for you !


    katyajini thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Ikaye: Thank you. After reading a few comments elsewhere and the ones here I am having just a teeny bit of second thoughts. Is Laguna really hard to manage? And is there very little rebloom? On top of that I am getting almost zero fragrance. Fragrance was the real reason that I got it. I saw some amazing pictures Laguna cooooovered with dark crimson flowers. Do you love Laguna or you are just used to it now? Fragrant or you!

    Sunny, I feel your disappointment. Its good I asked!

    Lily! Thank you! Jasmina has the most unique habit and not necessarily in a good way. It is low and wide. Actually I have two Jasmina. One own root that I planted as a band late last fall. And the other a grafted bare root that I got from Palatine. Their habits are different. The own root one is still young and it is soooo wide and low. But it is very big and throwing up many many canes. So far I have no idea how to position such a rose. Maybe things will change as the rose grows older. The grafted one has canes going up and out. But does not look so wide yet. I will post pictures. What should I do with such a rose? Its exactly as you say.

    Did Renae bloom well for you and was it fragrant?

    Colette sounds downright reasonable.

    If anyone has bush shots, please share!

  • 6 years ago

    I had laguna only 2 years old and it was crazy how quick it grew. 6-8 feet each direction. Make sure you have a lot of space. I did not care for the flowers much, little or no scent as I remember. Very vigorous to say the least. The canes on mine seemed to be pretty flexible but I am sure that was because it was young and I was Constantly manipulating the new growth. I am sure it gets stiff with age. Yes thorny! I moved so not sure how it looks now. I have seen some pretty photos on line of nature ones.

    My mother has Colette that’s only a few years and she fades a lot but is In full hot sun. I guess I need more time to see how she looks as she matures to give a fair evaluation.

    katyajini thanked Lala Idaho Zone 7a
  • 6 years ago

    Here are a few photos of my Colette, which I have grown for about 8-9 years. She starts blooming before any other roses in my garden in the spring (early May this year), and is still blooming. She is tough as nails in the cold, so I wouldn't expect a lot of dieback in winter in zone 6 (that's your zone, isn't it?). She's about nine feet (estimate). It's hard to tell, but the arbor she's on is pretty big at 5-6 feet wide and 8 feet tall or so. Diane

    katyajini thanked Diane Brakefield
  • 6 years ago

    Diane: Thank you so much. Your Colette has grown so well!! I cant wait for mine to be like that. The color on mine has some apricot on it. Not such a pure pink. I dont detect fragrance yet. Is yours fragrant?

  • 6 years ago

    I like laguna. Prolific bloomer here. Needs lots of space. At least 8’wide Or more

    Compassion gets blackspot in pnw but has more scent than Laguna. Jasmina is charming and scented but drooping blossoms need support or would look nice on a pergola

    katyajini thanked robin rose
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you so much for your photo and input robin rose. Do you actually grow compassion and jasmina? I am wondering how much space I should give these two on a trellis. Looks like they grow big too.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Yes, I do, but my Jasmina is from an own root cutting and has not reached maturity yet so I'm not sure of her eventual size. Compassion is trained to grow sideways on 6' fence, like my other climbers, but she has been slower growing than Laguna and other Korde climbers that I grow, not as many blooms as I would like to see, but the Kordes climbers are phenomenal for fast growth and prolific blooms. I grow Harlequin, Quicksilver, Honeymoon, Florentina, Laguna, Kordes Golden Gate, Westerland and Autumn sunset and all are faster growing, healthier and more floriferous than Compassion.

    I'd give them all 8-10 width if training sideways for more blooms.

    katyajini thanked roserobin_gw
  • 6 years ago

    I think you are right, about 8 to 10 feet for these big climbers sounds good. They will fill it in quickly. You have some great climbers.


    I have 2 Jasmina, one own root and one grafted on multiflora. The own root I planted as a small rooted cutting last fall. The grafted one I planted this spring. The own root is pretty big now, about 7 feet across and sending up many canes. However it wants to grow wide rather than tall/up. It blooms well. I have been looking up pictures of jasmina, now that it has been around for a while. It can get quite big and cover a great expanse. But it takes time to gain height. You have to give it time. As it gains in height all those laterals bloom in clusters at their tips. Looks good. I will be patient with this rose. I think it has a lot of potential.


    Thanks so much!

0