Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Rooting rugosa roses

mxk3 z5b_MI
3 years ago

How difficult is it to root rugosa cuttings? Any special treatment required? In your experience, how long to grow into decent-sized bushes? Debating ordering new bushes vs taking cuttings -- it's important to note I am not a person with much patience, if takes more than a year or two to get a good bush from a cutting, I'd rather just order the bush to start with.

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

just order the plants ...

do you really have time for a new hobby??? .. a new greenhouse ... and new misting system ... blah.. blah.. blah ...

dad used to root roses under pickle jars in the ground ... very little luck ... but he want trying very hard ... bro did it with minis under lights in the basement ... he did it for a few years.. so he must have had some luck ... but these are sold cheap at bigbox.. because propagation is easy.. and they do just fine on there own roots ...

i think one of the problems.. with the foo foo ones .. and the reason they are grafted is that they have weak root systems ...

which probably isnt that much an issue the the rugosa.. have seen those growing in the sand next to the ocean out east.. not really the definition of foo foo ...

but i think the bottom like.. is ... as you noted.. the 2 or 3 years.. in MI with our 6 months of dormancy weather.. that it will take to grow into a good sized plant ... i bet you move south.. and you can cut that time.. but that isnt going to happen just for some roses ...

ken

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

^^ Interestingly, I sliced a daughter plant of "Wildberry Breeze" off her mother before I moved from my other house -- mother was a strongly upright plant, at least 5 foot tall but probably more, but the daughter, now 4 years old, has never gotten more than about 2-1/2 feet in height and has a more rounded shape. I find this puzzling.

Regardless, I already looked at my established ones and didn't see a lot of suckers, but I should look again to see if I'm able to chop off one or two. Because I didn't see any good suckers a few weeks ago, I bought a new rugosa Blanc double de Coubert and would like to propagate her. She's grafted, which I didn't realize when I bought her -- I doubt I would have bought her that day if I would have known that, but she's now mine and she is beautiful. Just kind of a headache to plant the graft deeply this time of year so she's still in the pot while I figure out what to do -- store potted over winter and plant super-deep in late winter, or plant at normal depth, protect the graft and dig up and re-plant in late winter --> that seems like more work to me, so is not my preferred option.

I see that High Country Roses has rugosas in quarts and Heirloom has them in gallons -- if I order, it probably won't be until next spring, though. Considering some rugosa "Alba", too, if I order -- oooh would they look fantastic down by the road where they could reach full height and width and floral glory.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

just last week.. werent you moving some unfavored shrub out to the road.. so you wouldnt have to look at it... lol ..

now you are planting something you want to look at out there ... sheesh .. lol

what happens when you run out of room.. down by the road .. lol

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, those big pure white "Alba" flowers definitely would be seen from the house! Not going to run out of room down there anytime soon -- was me who was asking for tree recs a while ago, need more privacy from passerby.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Instead of trying to plant straight down to bury the graft you can dig a wider hole and plant at an angle. I find this is easier that having to dig deep enough to bury the graft 2' AND have the grafted roots upright. The rose grows normally.

• Deb C
    3 years ago

I've been very successful at propagating groundcover roses through simple layering. It might work for rugosas, as well, if you have some stems that are close to the ground. But like Ken said, it takes time for them to grow up. Currently, High Country Roses is out of stock on a lot of items, so I may end up trying to propagate my Linda Campbell rose if the stems get long enough.

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

I have tons of rugosa alba white and pink-extremely fragrant. flowers only on old wood, will sparingly flower on new wood. that I keep pulling out. it's just taken an entire area over. suckers show up everywhere. beware it's like the mint plant, hard to eradicate once planted

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Actually, rugosas flower on new growth -- most abundantly from secondary shoots off of previous year's canes but will bloom of current year shoots as well. Biggest flush is the first followed by sporadic re-bloom, which is greater in some varieties more than others. Sounds like Alba isn't a strong re-bloomer.