Software
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

How to get large bloom Zinnias

This year I tried Zinnias from seed in a cutting garden. First time trying Zinnias.

I planted Benary's Giant Mix. Granted, I didn't know about pinching, so I ended up with one bloom per stem - so not that many flowers.

But at the very least, I was expecting large blooms, as advertised. Instead, I got some small flowers, hardly impressive. I told myself that maybe this is the real size of a Zinnia and what I saw was just exaggerated advertising, like all advertising.

Until I went to Home Depot the other day and saw some huge coral zinnias - 3 plants in a pot to take home. They were absolutely huge and gorgeous.


What exactly did they do to fatten them up like that? Mine look completely insignificant, tiny and malnourished compare to those divas. Now that I know it is possible to get large, gorgeous Zinnias (and it's not just a pic for advertizing), I would really love to know what exactly I need to do to get them like that? More fertilizer?

Comments (2)

  • 6 years ago

    I've planted the Benary's Giant Dahlia Blue Point in Salmon Rose and White this year (Geo Seed Co.) with pretty good luck. Some were started inside under lights about 3-4 weeks before setting out and some were just seeded in the ground well after the last fost date. I gave them more space between plants this year and put up some netting to give them some support. I think that helped make nicer flowers for cutting although some are larger than others. Watered a lot in the beginning (and weeded) then let them pretty much go as we have had adequate rain. The bed they are in had a bunch compost added a couple of years ago, no other amendments. Too much nitrogen will encourage green but not blooms so be careful not to use fertilizer with a high first number (the N). They get full sun. They probably aren't as huge as the pampered greenhouse grown flowers but most are quite large with long stems. When I cut them I try to note where side shoots are and leave those for later flowers. I'll attach a couple of pics. Another variety that has produced some really large flowers for me are the Super Cactus zinnias also from Geo. Also Senora. Cresto Cream didn't do much. My biggest problem is the darn Japanese beetles that like to chew on them.

    I also grow smaller varieies like thumbelina and zaharas which are also pretty in flower beds and nice in smaller vases but I, too, enjoy the jumbo ones.

    pics-Benary Salmon Rose and Senora in vase, B.White,

    and the big orange one in the pic of boot vase

    going to the nursing home is Super Cactus with a Benary white next to it..

  • 6 years ago

    Severe, what is your garden like? Sunny? Soil conditions? Enough water? Also, did you get a name on those zinnias you just found? If so you could try finding seed for those. I would think that anything you buy potted like that is going to be pumped full of fertilizers. I'm too lazy of a gardener to fertilize consistently, but I do try to pay attention to my soil, adding shredded leaves twice a year and either compost or manure every other year (or when I think of it lol. Like I said, lazy!)

    mnzinnia your plants look nice and healthy. I'm intrigued by how close you plant them. What spacing do you use when planting? I was just thinking the other day that I need to plant my annuals (zinnias in particular) closer. I tend to plant my perennials too close together and my annuals too far apart lol!

    Thanks,
    :)
    Dee

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative Custom Closet Designer Servicing Franklin County