Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_701455126

Something wrong with kumquat help!

HU-701455126
3 years ago

I got this kumquat plant in march and she was doing wonderfully. Then in early huly we had some really hot days and the soil felt dry two inches in so i watered her often. Now though, after a few hot days I cant keep leaves on her and they lost their luster. as per another forum i was worried about root rot and took her out of the pot to dry for the day and then repotted into dry sterile mix. I watered as she was very dry and hours later no go. Still droopy. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I never allow two inches of dryness in summer on my citrus. I'm thinking it got heat and drought stressed, but can't say for sure. Where do you live? I'd move it to shade for now. Could be your repot stressed it out even more.

HU-701455126 thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

Stems are green, it is still living.

HU-701455126 thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

then you might save it

HU-701455126 thanked HOWARD Martin
  • HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

ihope u waters it in it might take awhile to rcover

• bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Make a small scratch lower down on the trunk (small, just enough that you can see the layer below the bark). If that layer (the cambium layer) is still green the tree is still alive and can recover, it's a trick that I've learned that has allowed me to tell whether or not a tree is beyond saving. From what I've gathered from my own trees, kumquats don't like to dry out all the way and very intense sunlight can further stress them. You might be able to go off of the stems being green and still easily bent (if they still feel like they have some give to them there's still moisture there), but depending on surrounding conditions, I've dried out cut citrus leaves and stems and had them remain very vibrant green, so I hesitate to go off of the color from a picture to say whether or not the tree is alive. When I water I don't usually go off of the top 2 inches of soil because your soil can be wet lower down than that and watering at that time can lead to soggy roots, if you have a wooden skewer you can stick that down deep into the soil and pull it up, if soil sticks to it and it feels wet, don't water. If it comes out with only a little bit of soil and feels more dry it's time to water. A cheap moisture meter can also be a big help, one of those usually goes for about 10 dollars on amazon. Right now, if that cambium layer is still green, I would move it into a semi-shaded spot, make sure to keep it moist but not dry and leave it alone. Don't fertilize right now because fertilizer can harm an already stressed tree. It can take weeks before you see any real results, roots come first, then leaves.

HU-701455126 thanked bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening
  • Lemon Lime Orange Zone 6a
    3 years ago

Indoors this time of year, too much radiant heat from the sun and no natural breeze to counterbalance the heat. Stressful VPD Caused by higher heat. If you have AC this would dry the air adding more stress. Without natural airflow indoors the leaves will turn to tacos as the sun bakes them through the window. You can pull back from window. Indoors as the seasons change the VPD changes. Cold and hot months are the hardest times to grow Indoors.

HU-701455126 thanked Lemon Lime Orange Zone 6a
  • HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

oh really

• HU-701455126
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone for thr comments I appreciate it and it stinks that I may be loving it to death! I see its still green at the base. Its an outside plant that sits on my balcony. I live in Cali I believe zone 9. I havnt fertilized often but Im not going to chance stressing it more. Thank you all again so much!

• Lemon Lime Orange Zone 6a
    3 years ago

Hi HU. The picture does not show enough detail. I see a wood cabinet and television in the picture? Did you move the plant inside? That clearly does not look like a typical open balcony. What type of potting soil did you use? When you took it out of pot did you repot immediately? Did you fertilizer before the leaves dried? Was this a slow transition or a quick transition? Is the pot in direct sunlight? What is the pot made of? What type of fertilizer? How many times have you used fertilizer? What dose did you use?

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor