niverma

LR decorating advice

niverma

I’m posting pictures of recently purchased LR/DR furniture/rugs to get advice on moving forward in decorating a functional & inviting space.

I prefer a contemporary look but also find myself going for bright colors & ornate items, 🤷🏻‍♀️?not sure how to explain that, so end up going in all directions. This is the reason I’m asking for guidance through your opinions & advice.

Thank you in advance!

(please excuse the exercise bike & videogamer!)

• housegal200

Not sure what your question is since you bought everything already. I do think you made some nice choices in the rugs and coordinating the leather pieces with your wall paint. Here are some thoughts:

--If you have any $$$ left in your budget, a long low light-colored media unit or credenza would help balance out your humongous TV. All your pieces are very large--so anything new coming in should be streamlined. What's functional and attractive about the room below is that two of the comfortable looking chairs are up on legs and complement the big sofa without adding more bulk. I see a tag on one of the sofas. If there's any chance of exchanging one of the sofas, you could get two lighter chairs. This would show off your very nice rug, showing more color in the room.

Концепция серого · More Info

Sonos Multi-Room Sound Systems · More Info

This style chair but with wood legs that match floor and cushions that work with your leather pieces. Maybe in a color from the rug--gold or blue?

Four Hands Ace Armchair, Robson Pewter · More Info

--Your coffee table is great, but again, it's all in the same tone, lines as the big sofa pieces. What often works more comfortably are big round coffee tables with a nesting element. Something in glass would showcase your rug as well.

Set of 2 Bronze Gold Nesting Coffee Tables, Round Large Modern Minimalist · More Info

Contemporary Iron, Wood, and Glass Round Nesting Coffee Tables, 2-Piece Set · More Info

An art work above the fireplace would add personal visual interest. This palette but horizontal above the fireplace. Skyscapes really pull the eye across the room and would make the fireplace more of a focal point. This one echoes the rug.

Tropical Caribbean Sunset, Sky and Clouds Painting, original large painting · More Info

Need advice on LR decor

Pull one of the chairs from the window and place it at the other end of the sofa on an angle. Turn the rug slightly askew also. Something different for a coffee table, maybe two small drum stools in hammered steel or copper. Move the palm into the DR. New white lampshades. Hang the mirror vertically where the banner is now. Paint the far wall of the DR in a Chinese Red or Coffee. Over the server do another group of photos framed like the ones over the sofa. Last, hit the nearest Pottery Barn and replace the solid pillows with a couple of printed multi color ones..

Help with decorating LR DR combination

Please post a photo or two. Thanks!

Need help with decorations/furniture and placement of furniture in LR.

You have an open floor plan. Take some ques for furniture color etc from your the colors in your kitchen cabinets and counters. I can't really see the counters in your photos but pull the deepest color from it - is there any gray or dark browns? Then paint the bottom of the island which faces the living area that color. This will help make a successful transition from the kitchen to the living room. Make a list of your preferences or look at photos in HOUZZ to help you focus in on what style and color you love for your furniture. Dark chocolate brown leather? Gray leather? White? Neutral area rug? Or colorful rug with pattern for your focal point? The style and color of your kitchen hutch and table does not coordinate well with the kitchen. If you can't or don't want new here, consider painting them a soft white to help them tie in with the kitchen. I would pick your wall color last. First fall in love with a sofa - a sectional with a chaise end would work well in this space - facing your focal point which is the TV.

Update lakefront home LR decor/furniture

Fabrics like Sunbrella and Crypton are almost indestructible. I have aqua colored chairs in Sunbrella and the cushions can be washed in bleach and cold water with no fading. If you want to go with leather, instead of brown, consider a camel color for a lighter feeling. Then you can add in the creams and beiges in side chairs with the beachy accent colors. If this is going to be a vacation rental, look for a sofa with a fixed back instead of loose cushions. They hold up so much better.
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images

The mirror over FP is too big for me. and nothing good to reflect. I would go with wall art instead. And two chairs block the FP.

• niverma

Thanks for your input!

I love the idea of a floating credenza!

What size & color would work best in this space?

How far from the ground?

The wall is 144in, TV is 75in (humongous!). Maybe I could add a few shelves for decorative items & few books?

Yes, sofa/chairs/rug just delivered yesterday, Just didn’t think about the rug being under the furniture!!! but you’re right, that makes sense. We have 3 teen boys, so I think my knee-jerk response has been to buy everything big & sturdy! I will rethink about exchanging the sofa.

• ShadyWillowFarm

Wait - is that another rug behind the two chairs in front of the fireplace? You don’t need it.

• niverma

Celerygirl, Yes a point I also considered!

I really wanted the fireplace to be the focal point but didn’t know how to go about it.

It’s a beveled mirror that’s reallllly well adhered to the wall! It’s a feature I was hoping to work around.

If we remove it, what size artwork would you suggest?

if a mirror, what size and shape?

TIA

• niverma

ShadyWillowFarm,

You’re right, there are 2 rugs, smaller in front of the fireplace.

Originally planned a layout like BeverlyFLADeziner suggested, BUT with the chairs facing each other on the small rug.

The larger rug was for the remainder of the seating. I have to adjust the furniture so sofa by the door is entirely on the rug.

I’ll repost another picture once we shift the furniture.

*My picture-was part of the original seating plan-the weird long thing is a bench, Red for contrast!

• decoenthusiaste

Looks like this will be more of a family/game room for the kids. I would return one sofa or both chairs. Then get a pair of less bulky chairs to flank the fireplace. Here are some ideas about how rugs should work.

• niverma

decoenthusiaste, Just realizing this too!

kids prefer LR over basement family room because poor internet there. Will work to improve that to keep this space put-together & furniture lasting longer than previous ones!

Thanks for the carpet visuals-it is helpful.. Wanted #1 but didn’t calculate humungous coffee table into the measurements (Original plan was 36x36in ottoman BUT last minute got this 60in).

I’ll post another picture after the furniture/rugs have been shifted. Unfortunately the rug patterns will be going in separate directions 😩!

• happyleg

You have too much furniture in LR. Put one chair beside couch at left of fp. Put cream chair on other side of fp. Or better to another room.

• niverma

happyleg

My mistake- didn’t clarify that a few pieces won’t be staying.

The items are:

cream chair by fireplace

exercise bike

make-shift TV console (2 night tables and white garden table).

maybe dark wood console behind 1st sofa-not sure yet (waiting to see how this post unfolds).

Thanks for the advice!!

• Ellen S

Can you pull everything out of the room that is going to go, so we can see what will really be in it?

The furniture is so heavy and large, it would be great to have something else to break up the heaviness. The cream chair in place of one of the grey chairs and a smaller, lighter feeing coffee table would give the room some space to breath, if that makes sense.

• Ellen S

I agree with the suggestions to rearrange the pieces a bit on the rug, separate the chairs, etc.

• niverma

Sure, that makes sense.

I’m at work right now so in the evening will definitely make all those suggested changes & repost.

Thanks everyone! I’m feeling really optimistic!

A lot of your observations are things that were bothering me but didn’t know how to verbalize - if that makes sense?

• housegal200

Wayfair, Overstock, Ikea sell many streamlined wide media centers. Here's one from Wayfair. What you want is a piece that goes entirely across the wall. This one has a base, which might be safer with three teenagers hanging out in the room.

If you get something long and low, consider a gallery wall of art work behind it to balance out the oversized screen. Do avoid buying any more large, dark pieces. Plain white or a golden finish would make this functional kind of console blend into the background.

• niverma

Here are the pictures after separating the chairs, rugs & clearing the room of extras.

Exception being everything on the TV wall.

• niverma

• ShadyWillowFarm

Wow, huge difference!! I do not think you need the rug in front of the fireplace. I also think you can push back the sofa facing the tv so it is against the wall, and slide the other sofa down the wall so it gives the opening more clearance. Have you thought about changing up the coffee table? But it looks great!!!

• happyleg

That looks better & happier.

• Gcubed

Looks better this way but I’d remove rug by FP. And add a leggy, maybe metal/glass table in-between 2 chairs (separating the areas) or leave as is and add drink tables. If you can return those 2 chairs, I would, and get 2 swivel chairs in a velvet and lighter color. Arrange larger rug and sofas so that they are more centered on it.

• decoenthusiaste

The larger rug slipped only under the front 1/3 of the sofas will cover more of the floor in front of the FP. The other rug is not a good look. I agree that all the matching pieces look like you just raided the display floor of the local furniture store. To add interest, switch the chairs for some that are smaller scale and easy to pull up to the coffee table if you have extra guests.

• happyleg

U could pull chairs a few feet from fp on the window side.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Use this to calculate the proper location for the TV and then work down the wall from there.

Can you exchange the small rug for an even smaller rug?

• niverma

Sorry for the late reply, weekdays are hectic so won‘t be able to respond quickly.

Bahahah!! decoenthusiast, your comment is so funny, because this thought crossed my mind too!

MY personal preference is to buy refined furniture/rugs that are light colored, glass tables, fabric covered furniture, delicate decorative items...but these don‘t last in our house, just hasn’t worked. Rather than retrying I decided to be practical and chose thicker, darker MAIN pieces AND all the same color furniture because it’s safe. Trying to coordinate different colors, styles, patterns is NOT easy-I just don’t have it (interior designer)! I can add finer things from here.

Few questions:

1) Regarding chairs

-W/current ones can you suggest tables-pictures will be really helpful.

-If I return these, can you suggest alternatives?

I wanted to factor in that husband & usual male family guests average 6ft & 250lbs. 18y son is 6’6” & knees fall at chest level on many chairs.

2) Would chairs be without a rug?

Previously damaged hardwood floor since I didn’t have a rug under the sofa.

3) floating TV console: since all LR pieces are big , still ok to place a full length console?

How to balance TV with shelves on same wall?

I’ll post pictures tomorrow evening after woto with the suggested single rug & furniture placement.

Thank you everyone!

• niverma

BeverlyFLADeziner, I like the visual, I will refer to this when we mount the TV.

The distance from mid-sofa to TV is roughly 10ft I think for 75in TV distance is appropriate?

Tomorrow I will call & find out Wayfair return/exchange policy. what size would be better?

• Gcubed

Try smaller complementary rug by FP. I would think with such tall people you’d want chairs with taller backs. Maybe tall back chairs but sleeker profile, even small ottomans in front and then each gets drunk table. Floor lamp in corner.

• Newideas

Gcubed...drunk table? 😂

• niverma

😂😂😂😂 drunk table!!

Made my day!

• Gcubed

Lol- whatever works in your home 😂😂!

• decoenthusiaste

Maybe the basement would make a good living room retreat for you. Just let the big guys who need internet connection have this room. Let's move on to a spot for the ladies to gather while the guys game! We'll just include those two chairs in the basement so your son and hubs have a place to sit down there. That way you won't have to return them. The small rug may work down there too. Pix of the basement please.

• housegal200

Now that the upholstered pieces are well laid out--shout out to decoenthusiaste--maybe you don't need different chairs. I would suggest that whatever console you get for under the TV be either white or the golden wood of your floors.

Also are you thinking about drapes? Light pale gold in linen would lighten the room as well. You do have a lot of space.

• Ellen S

Love the new arrangement. I agree the second rug near the fire place isn’t necessary.

• niverma

Hi everyone!

I apologize for not responding earlier as I said I would. I‘m back to work now & started running out of steam earlier in the week. BUT know that I’m reading (&re-reading) your comments and considering all the advice.

I’m posting pics without the rug in front of fo & the chairs angled/separated too. I didn’t adjust larger rug-not sure how.

The pics are panoramic, have been in successful posting them (too large?) so will post each one separately-bear with me!

I have questions about your comments, will post those separately too!

• niverma

• niverma

• niverma

• niverma

Tomorrow will be going to Ikea for a floating media console. Please advise about these.

-Thinking to get white units that are 47’ units

- wall length is 141 inches (not baseboards)

-TV is 72 ‘ (we also have a 42’ TV. if better)

Can you help sort these 2 questions

Would you suggest 2 or 3 units??

How to fill remaining space with decorative items & few books?

TIA

• niverma

deco enthusiast e

update about the LR becoming a playroom-assigned the kids to research how to improve internet reception in the basement. That will be their space.

About pics...I will save everyone a heart attack by not posting 😂😂!

If I can‘t get these chairs/rug to work in LR will use in basement & guest bedroom. But prefer using chairs in LR.

• acm

promising! need a corner/end table between the two couches, with a table lamp (pick a rug color to match). maybe a floor lamp behind the chair to the R of the fireplace too.

Ceramic Linen Shade On-Off Switch Table Lamp, Navy · More Info

Graham Table Lamp, Blue Ceramic · More Info

New Port Table Lamp, 22" Height, Glass And Metal Sea Blue Glass Finish · More Info

Kailey Table Lamp, Sky Blue Ombre Ceramic · More Info

Bottle Table Lamp in Blue - Set of 2 · More Info

Florenza Dual Light LED Floor Lamp With Dimmer, Antique Satin Brass, 63" · More Info

Medusa Contemporary Floor Lamp With Black Chrome Base, Blue Glass Sconces · More Info

Serena 63" Metal LED Floor Lamp, Gold Leaf · More Info

also, look into Internet repeaters to get the wireless signals boosted in the basement. then you can reclaim the LR for the adults! :))

• niverma

Gcubed, can you suggest (pics) some leggy tables to place between the large chair. I’m trying to keep the chairs maybe some tweeks here & there will make them look bette.

• niverma

housegal200-

yes!!! Need Curtains too .

Where can I purchase the Light gold linen You suggested? Would appreciate some links or pics if you have any.

• niverma

Someone had suggested an arched lamp,

I can’t see the comment anymore (?).

Am looking into it.

My original plan was this picture.

• happyleg

Measure your TV and make sure you have A foot longer of media cabinet and get WOOD in B LAC K

• niverma
    yesterday

happyleg

Yikes! 2 suggestions-black and previloudly white!

now confusEd with theses choices😰!!

can you give more clarification.

TIA

• Gcubed
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

What about drink tables (examples below but there are MANY styles out there) by each chair and then a small foot stool for each chair-- something with a some texture or pattern (animal print?). Then a lamp in the corner. It could be a cozy reading area with a glass of wine or a spot to sit by the fire and have coffee/hot cocoa.

Mona Aladham Metal Glass Tea Side Table · More Info

• niverma
    22 hours ago
    last modified: 22 hours ago

Gcubed-a great plan to have a cozy area around the fireplace👍

Love the idea of adding something fun like animal print!

Thank you!!

• happyleg
    20 hours ago

I thought black your tv is black & fp goes well with couch. U can do white. But will it look lost with couch?