jerijensunsetz24

'Bishop Darlington'

jerijen

The good Bishop's got it all . . . Fragrance, foliage, generous bloom, quick repeat, stems 14-inches long, and beautiful blooms:

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8

That's what I WANT!!! You have the curse of your blessing, how dreamy!

Best Answer
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I love this one Jeri! I'll need to look for a spot.

• jerijen

Sheila -- Keep in mind, it wants to be BIG. I don't know how successfully you could keep it small.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

You probably know, I want to let plants do what they want and I love big, Jeri.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8

I love this rose, but my puny specimen gives no hint of what it's capable of. I'm thinking, once I get some money again, of ordering two or three yards of sand to lighten our gray clay. Organic matter as amendment just doesn't seem to be sufficient, and I still want to grow Teas and Hybrid Musks and suchlike. I'd love to have a good 'Bishop Darlington'.

• jerijen

Yeah, 'cause, Melissa, here it's a good 12-ft x 12-ft.

Had we had a faint clue what it could do, we'd never have put it where it is.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

It is almost orchid like blooms.

What a color!

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Melissa, probably a silly question, but have you tried adding lime to your clay soil? I always thought that was the standard remedy. But perhaps it only works for certain kinds of clay.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Comtesse, I haven't. I don't know what the ph of my soil is, but it's certainly not acid; I'd be afraid to make it more alkaline than it is right now. Once amended with a lot of organic matter it's quite good soil for many plants, but Tea roses, and Hybrid Musks, aren't among them.

P.S. We have a storm moving in right now, and have hopes of getting a lot of rain!