julieste

Popcorn ceiling--re-drywall or scrape, remove & texture?

julieste
2 days ago

We had the upstairs ceilings scraped and lightly re-textured with an orange peel finish (not my favorite but really all I could do at that time). It was a mess.

Now it's time to do the main floor. The living room has a vaulted and beamed ceiling, but the other rooms are just plain ceilings. Is it more cost effective (and with a better outcome) to just put a new, thin layer of drywall over everything?

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 days ago

Doing the drywall over the old ceiling works just remember all the light fixture boxes will need to be moved a bit and please do not do any kind of texture this time. The mess is still an issue with mudding and taping.

• julieste
    Original Author
    yesterday

Are costs about the same either way (new drywall vs scraping popcorn)? Thanks much.

• kudzu9
    yesterday

Before you do any more popcorn ceiling removal, what is the age of the ceilings? If they are older than about 1980, have they been tested for asbestos?

• julieste
    Original Author
    yesterday

1980--That's about the exact vintage.

• kudzu9
    yesterday

They quit using asbestos in ceilings in the late 1970's, but contractors were allowed to use up their existing stocks so it was still being done a couple of years later in some cases. You are on the borderline, so I suggest you have a certified asbestos test lab assay a sample. This is typically less than $100.