Software
Houzz Logo Print
arob6

Any experience using contact paper on wood?

6 years ago

Hey! So I'm moving into my first apartment soon *squeals in excitement* however, I'm just realizing how much wood trim there actually is. With the building being so old, painting it is not happening according to my landlord. I would push for contact paper but I worry that with it being old wood sitting underneath something so sticky, it may damage the quality of the wood when it's removed.


So I've been brainstorming putting another layer of something underneath the contact paper like aluminum? Or some kind of barrier that would mold to the wood but act as a barrier between the wooden surface and contact paper? I can't find any substitutes so far so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (11)

  • 6 years ago

    I think contact paper would look worse than old real wood trim.

    arob6 thanked rrah
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @User Well that's why I asked if anyone's had experience using contact paper, a non-permanent decorating tool, on wood. It's not my intention to damage any property hence why I asked. I have no plans set in stone but am rather brainstorming how to strategically decorate in a way that is best suitable for both myself and my landlord. However, thank you for your input!

  • 6 years ago

    Yes, I have used Contact on wood when I covered some shelves. There is no way to remove it without damaging the wood. Three things can happen: it will not pull off, it will pull off but leave sticky glue on the wood, or only part of it will pull off. Renters should only spend money on things that can go to the next apartment or a new home. Don’t put money into someone else’s property.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Don’t use contact paper on someone else’s property. Contact paper is a mess and will damage the surface when removed. When you move out, the property must be left as you found it. No permanent changes

    Congratulations on your apartment! Very exciting.

  • 6 years ago

    I actually haven't seen contact paper in a long time but I think they used to advertise it as easily removable As just about everyone here has cautioned, it is not easy to remove. It's not what you want to do.

    I agree too that if you are renting, it really doesn't serve you well to put time and money into changing the property. Just accept that the backdrop is permanent and get the furnishings and accessories you like and can take with you.


  • 6 years ago

    We once rented a house whose previous owner had done a whole ”feature” wall in wood grain contact paper. The new owners came one day and asked if we’d mind if they repainted, whatever colours we liked. As the decor was really not our style (flock Baroque wallpaper etc), we said, “Heck no! We’ll help!”

    The contact paper left a ton of glue on the wall, we scraped and sanded and tried methylated spirits and probably other things but we couldn’t entirely remove it, so we had to paint over the lumps of glue left behind and call it good. It was still a vast improvement.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I use contact paper on wood, but I use thumb tacks to hold it down and don’t peel off the back. I don’t know if it still exists but there also used to be shelf liner paper

  • 6 years ago

    Can you post some photos? Maybe that will be helpful for suggestions. I’ve been in my rental place for 15 years, and consider it my home, and therefore have made numerous upgrades to make it right for me. Certainly they are benefitting my homeowner/landlord. There are many considerations to making improvements in a rental, for sure.

  • 5 years ago

    @gargamel that skins like a great idea to me . ill be using contact paper on my counter & ill try the thumb tack trick for the cabinets