Software
Houzz Logo Print
nhdrummerboy

Watering Schedule

6 years ago

Well, after reading the watering mantra on this forum, ie; “one inch of water all at once”, I decided to try it on my lawn. We have had a blistering hot and dry July here in New England and the “one inch weekly with temps in the 90’s” scenario just isn’t cutting it. I decided to split the one inch over two waterings per week, Friday and Tuesday. No improvement. It takes my system approximately 3 hours per zone to deliver one inch of water. They are timed to start at midnight and finish up around mid to late morning. I can’t decide weather to increase the amount of water or the frequency. Or should I start watering later in the morning? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (5)

  • 6 years ago

    It can take some adjustment if you went from daily or every other day watering and tried to jump to weekly; the roots are usually too short to accommodate that without a season or two of growth.

    As of right now, I've gone about 700 days since my last lawn watering.


    Unless days of watering are restricted, why not split zones so that some get watered each night and rotate which ones are watered on a given evening? As long as it adds up to an inch a week, that's fine, and if adjustments have to be made through August to allow for root growth (it's no great shakes until September when temperatures cool a bit; roots don't significantly grow in during summer or winter, just spring and fall), that's OK.

  • 6 years ago

    If the grass was used to daily watering, that means it has short roots, as morph mentioned. The way to stretch those roots out is by doing what you're doing. Maybe try every 3rd day...forget the days of the week. Within a couple weeks you should see the grass doing better. Actually you should see it doing much better, because there are a lot of nutrients in the soil just below the short roots.

    This forum used to field a lot of questions here about recovering from going on vacation, having a sprinkler break, and coming back to a dead lawn. Deep and infrequent watering helps get a lawn through that kind of situation. If I took off for two weeks without watering, my lawn would suffer but it would not die.

    Deep watering sort of goes hand in hand with mowing high. Are you doing that? Tall grass will grow deeper roots. I usually suggest mowing at the mower's highest setting unless you have bermuda, creeping bentgrass, or centipede.

  • 6 years ago

    I have my system set up so that all seven zones get water once a week. Then the zones that cover the areas of lawn that get all day sun get watered again four days later. The shaded areas are doing fine. The sunny areas are doing ok, just a touch of patchy brown, but not the deep green I was hoping for. The area that is hardest hit is the lawn at the south end of my house. It gets sun all day long. Also, I have a light colored house and the sun reflects off of it and really bakes that spot! I don’t know if that will come back, I may have to reseed. I may go to a “every 3rd day” watering schedule. I do mow at the highest setting and I have noticed that I don’t have as big of a crabgrass issue as I have had in the past, but I think that is due to the infrequent watering schedule and the new pre-emergent I tried this year. Thanks for the input!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Even the touchiest grass should recover in September on a 4-day, one inch a week schedule. :-) I doubt it's dead, just dormant. Do you know what you have?

    Bluegrass doesn't actually need to be irrigated at all. While it can go months, it does start to die after 3 months with absolutely no water and would strongly prefer about a quarter inch every 2 weeks to keep the roots alive (which will result in no losses).

    TTTF and rye can go about 6 weeks without water before dying (that quarter inch every 2 weeks will result in no losses). They'll brown out later.

  • 6 years ago

    I’ve got what you might call your average, northern lawn. Fescues, bluegrass seem to be the predominant varieties. That hot spot looks pretty crispy though!